Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 11sp Xt with XTR shifter?
  • godzilla
    Free Member

Will this work?, I vaguely remember hearing it won’t.

everyone
    Free Member

Assuming you mean an 11s xtr shifter then I can’t see why not.

godzilla
    Free Member

Yep both 11sp.

njee20
    Free Member

Why wouldn’t it? Even Shimano have yet to build incompatibility within their own hierarchies (9/10/11 speed aside)!

qtip

Didn’t Shimano claim the XTR mech wouldn’t work with the 42T cassette? People have it working with SRAM cassettes though, so clearly it will work.

godzilla
    Free Member

That’s what I thought but wanted to check.

chrismac

I think it will work. A friend of mine has xtr DI2 shifter and rear mech working fine with a SRAM 11 speed cassette. Im thinking that new XT will be a good replacement for X1 when I trash the rear mech as its so much cheaper.

sillyoldman

No problem with XTR M9000 rear mech on 11-42. The 11-42 is 1x specific, but not XT specific.

krixmeister

Even Shimano have yet to build incompatibility within their own hierarchies

OK – going off topic a bit, but let’s not mention the first Dura Ace and Ultegra Di2 (10 speed) groups, which had incompatible wiring.

njee20
    Free Member

I think the more heinous crime was that when they did 11 speed Di2 you could use the 10 speed Ultegra mechs/STIs, until they removed the reverse compatibility in a software update. Then stopped producing 10 speed Ultegra Di2, so it’s basically useless now if you break something.

But anyway, we digress.

rusty90
    Free Member

they removed the reverse compatibility in a software update

Now I’m really feeling old.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

OK, so what are the constraints/options around 11spd?
    I’m about to press the button on a new bike which will come with X01 group. I’don’t fancy replacing the rear mech with the same every time I trash one, 11spd XT would make a lot more sense.
    So, I think that means that pretty soon after I’ll end up with XT shifter and mech on an XD hub and SRAM cassette.
    Would it make more sense to install XT cassette and std hub from day one?

Is there a market for X01 mech, shifter & cassette unused?

AlexSimon

Is there a market for X01 mech, shifter & cassette unused?

Yes, I would think so.
    Better now than waiting until everyone knows about XT 11sp.

Worth noting that the Sram GX mech is currently £73, so not toooo bad compared to the others.
    Still easy to see XT coming in at half the price eventually though.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Have we figured out yet if Shimano 10 and 11 speed bits are interchangeable (i.e. can you run an 11 speed shifter with a 10 speed mech?) or is it the same situation as 10/9 speed?

tubthumped
    Free Member

It will work. I updated my running gear on Tuesday to the following:

XT 11-42 11sp Cassette
    XT 11sp Mech
    XTR 11sp Shifters

That was mated to my existing SLX cranks with Raceface 34t thick/thin chainring and 10 sp chain.

No issues – works brilliantly.

godzilla
    Free Member

Awesome, cheers tubthumped! I just ordered an XTR shifter, new XT shifter is pretty ugly IMHO, I need ispec B for my Hope brakes and it’s not out for a while, and i can’t be doing with shift windows.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘11sp Xt with XTR shifter?’ is closed to new replies.