Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • 11+ verbal reasoning exams….no idea how to do this question.
  • rockhopper70

For my daughter….
    688 / 8 = 25 * 5 = ?
    And other similar numerical combinations.
    verbal reasoning this…am I missing something obvious?
    Ta

tron
    Free Member

It must be some sort of horribly expressed number sequence with equals signs instead of commas…

rockhopper70

That’s sorted that then… ❓

Edukator
    Free Member

Well apart from recognising that 668/8 = 86 and has nothing to do with either verbal reasoning, or 25, *, or 5, what is there to miss? The answer is clearly “wrong”.

rockhopper70

Short on detail on the op, this was a multiple choice with answers of 18,19,21,25.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

How is that a “verbal reasoning” test?

rockhopper70

Short on detail on the op, this was a multiple choice with answers of 18,19,21,25.

rockhopper70

Good point mr woppit…and I really don’t know.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Is that the whole task? No question? No verbal reasoning there.

Bez

If there are two words I think completely fail to relate to that question, they’re “verbal” and “reasoning”.

Have you accidentally obtained a copy of the Numerical Bollocks paper?

Edukator
    Free Member

rockhopper70

Defo verbal reasoning…daughter sat a mock test on Saturday and there was a section with 7 such questions. I told her should have just ticked answer “c”.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Sure it wasn’t non-verbal reasoning?

Junkyard
    Free Member

how is that verbal reasoning it involves numbers and symbols and most importantly no WORDS.

Bez

I’d be inclined to verbally reason with whoever set that paper.

rockhopper70

Again, defo vr and i’m glad everyone else is as confused as me.

leffeboy

That’s hugely confusing. Usually it has absolutely nothing to do with maths but it is difficult to stop using the symbols that way. Was there nothing else or what does

mean?

That sort of question messes my head and has me reaching for the leffe

Edukator
    Free Member

Ther’s a couple of ways of looking at it:

The easiest is that the second number can be dived or multiplied by the first and the result is a whole number. 2 and 1 are the only ones suggested that do.

When you do the sums given as examples you get a result that contains one or more of the original figures, 2 multipled or divided by 1 gives 2, which is one of the original figures.

oldnpastit

Whoever set these questions is just incompetent. I would question going to a school that sets such nonsense. Perhaps discuss it with the head of the school concerned or, if they won’t listen, find a better school?

5 years of this kind of craziness is going to drive your daughter up the wall.

donsimon
    Free Member

Whoever set these questions is just incompetent. I would question going to a school that sets such nonsense. Perhaps discuss it with the head of the school concerned or, if they won’t listen, find a better school?

Definitely go and discuss, do not send them a letter it’ll be a waste of time.

Bez

Send them a letter written in numbers.

rockhopper70

leffeboy – Member
    That’s hugely confusing. Usually it has absolutely nothing to do with maths but it is difficult to stop using the symbols that way. Was there nothing else or what does

mean?

That sort of question messes my head and has me reaching for the leffe

the other similar numerical combinations means 6 other similar questions. Daughter could only defo remember this one to ask me about.

lorax

It’s not some weird sort of punning thing is it? 688/8 could (somehow, bizarrely) be ‘sick, satiate, overate’

I can’t see how it could be, and I’ve no idea what 25*5 would be, but I just wonder if there’s an alternate, non-numerical, take on this… If so I reckon 21 is the answer (‘to one’)

either way it’s a stupid question! Is she sure she remembers it correctly?

molgrips
    Free Member

Can we have some of the other questions?

I think if it’s verbal reasoning, we should be reasoning verbally….

rockhopper70

I cant give any more example questions as she can’t remember any and the paper is not released after the test.
    ..and she is sure how she describes the question is what she saw. It’s just not making any sense and I am thinking that she must have recalled it incorrectly. There is no logic or pattern to the question.

Edukator
    Free Member

Did you read my answer, Rockhopper? I identified the common factor, multiples or dvisions with the same numbers in the answer, before you posted the four choices. 100 / 10 and 100 x 10 for example . However, as there is an infinite number of answers that fit the conditions the question only made sense when you revealed the limited multiple choice responses.

tonto
    Free Member

But if the common factor is as you describe then surely the answer would be in the form yx(operator)x rather than just a two digit number.

Cougar

It’s just not making any sense and I am thinking that she must have recalled it incorrectly.

Having googled ‘verbal reasoning’ and looked at their mathematical examples, it seems the most likely explanation. Either she’s misremembering / misread it, or the question was set incorrectly.

Or, the verbal reasoning you’re expected to apply is “this is nonsense” (-:

GrahamS

688 / 8 = 25 * 5 = wrong!

There you go. 🙂

Bez

My computer is slow as hell this morning so I tried again whilst watching it trying to compile stuff.

Followed my thoughts from yesterday about digits being codes for letters, but after various juggling and shifting of those combinations, I can’t find anthing that makes any sense.

Ended up googling in frustration.

This page supposedly lists the question types for 11+ Verbal Reasoning. None of them match the format you have up there (a couple are close, but still very distinctly different) so I’m still wondering whether it’s been remembered accurately.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/advice/verbal-reasoning/gl-assessment-question-types-at-a-glance

If anyone here works in eductaion and can explain to the class how in the name of Satan question types 11, 17 or 18 are “verbal reasoning” then I’m sure we’ll all sit cross-legged in silence and listen to that one.

Trekster

From the site^^^

The type of tests that make up the 11+ are concealed by schools to prevent preparation

Tells the story really.
    Sounds like the good old days when my kids were at school when the schools/teachers standard excuse was “we did not know that would be in the test so have not taught it”
    Same issues exist at uni given the issues my kids had. The standard of teacher training and support is very poor according to my daughter who is 2yrs into her “career”. She was astonished at the poor quality of lecturing when she did her PGCE after having done her MA in art/design. She almost gave up after being placed in one particular country school and saw what was going on. She stuck it out and actually created a change culture and the head teacher was moved on!!! Got a glowing report which gained her her first job months before finishing the course 😆

Speak to the teacher and ask what class prep was done, check home work books for examples

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘11+ verbal reasoning exams….no idea how to do this question.’ is closed to new replies.