Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 11 speed Shimano XT Cassette on 11 speed road hub?
  • boblo
    Free Member

There’s confusing and contradictory info on this so over to STWWiki. Can I simply swap my 11 speed 5800 cassette for an 11 speed xt M8000 cassette and it’ll work/play nicely? Ignore chain and derailleur arm length as I know these’ll need changing. I.e. is the sprocket spacing and freehub fitting the same between road and MTB please?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Nope

otsdr
    Free Member

According to “the internets”, the cog spacing is the same between Shimano 11s road and MTB cassettes. The freehub splines are also the same.

The only difference is the road freehub is a bit wider, so a MTB cassette can be fitted to an 11sp road hub as long as you use a (1.85mm?) spacer. An 11sp road cassette won’t fit on a MTB freehub.
    There’s no Shimano road derailleur that supports 40+ cogs, you’ll need a MTB one with the appropriate pull ratio adapter, assuming you want to use it with STIs.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nre
    Free Member

I’m doing just that (except it’s a sunrace 11-40 MTB cassette), running on an 11sp road hub with a ~2mm spacer http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mavic-cassette-spacer/rp-prod25399

I’m running Rival mech & shifter BTW

cp

Nope

Nope 😉

Yes it’s fine to run Shimano 11 speed mtb cassette on 11 speed road hub. Just remember you need a mounting spacer for the free hub, as mtb 11spd have the same spline length as road/mtb 9-10 speed etc. The sprocket spacing is the same between road & mtb 11 speed, but the mtb ones overhang the largest cog over the inside mount face – i.e. in towards the spokes.

simondbarnes

Yep, perfectly fine, just need a 1.85mm 11 to 10spd spacer (which all 11spd road wheels I’ve seen come with)

boblo
    Free Member

Perfect, thanks Gents. My CAADX will soon be resplendent with 11-40 cassette, 5800 SGS derailleur and Roadlink.

What are the odds on it being a bag of shite at the extremes? I have an even longer derailleur cage on order to transplant onto the 5800 if SGS proves too weedy 😉

breatheeasy
    Free Member

What are the odds on it being a bag of shite at the extremes? I have an even longer derailleur cage on order to transplant onto the 5800 if SGS proves too weedy

Ooh, report back on those findings!

Is the cage by chance a 9sp LX Trekking one? 🙂

boblo
    Free Member

It is but out if stock ATM so I’m going with what I have…

boblo
    Free Member

Wellllll … Happy to report a Roadlink, long cage 105 derailleur and an XT 11-40 cassette (plus spacer) play nicely with a 34/50 crankset on my CAADX. I can even get into big/big and little/little without any dramas. I had to reverse the ‘B’ screw to clear the 40 sprocket fully but everything else is just as it should be. Been for a dirty ride and it’s all A OK. Ace. 🙂

chowsh
    Free Member

That’s good news, I’ve got my road link here and cassette and new chain on the way to do the exact same thing. What’s the chain tension like at the extremes?

boblo
    Free Member

It’s just normal. I wouldn’t run it big/big on purpose but it’ll survive a brain fart. I’m surprised, I thought I’d need the longer cage to take up the chain tension. The biggest issue/faff is clearing the big sprocket.

chowsh
    Free Member

Cassette finally arrived today after CRC sent 11-42 in error, went straight on with spacer and all seems to shift just fine. I have a longer chain in case I need it.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘11 speed Shimano XT Cassette on 11 speed road hub?’ is closed to new replies.