Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • 11 Speed Connectors
  • minley1
    Free Member

I have Shimano 11 Speed currently XTR 2×11, just fitted an Absolute Black oval ring to go 1 X 11, I had already bought some KMC 11 speed links (no reuseable) but seemingly you need a tool to fit/remove, after spending along time trying to do them up by hand, I gave up.
    Does anyone know if the SRAM 11 speed links work?, it is the XTR 11 speed Siltech chain

scotroutes

You can fit them without the tool.

Join the chain at the top (between crank and cassette) then press down on the pedals with the brake on or while on the ground. The force will snap the link into place.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

You can also take them apart with a pair of pliers if you’ve got good tekkers.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Mine was a swine to close until I used scotroutes method. Took a few goes until I remembered which side was under tension 😳

ricky1
    Free Member

Cheers scotroutes,thought it was just me that had this not getting on with connectors problem.
    I’ve just set up my 11 speed today and I probably spent more time trying to connect/disconnect the links than I would admit to so thanks,joining them up wasn’t to bad but separating them was a mare.
    But the groupset is 100% smooth now.

minley1
    Free Member

Ok, will give scotroutes method a go.
    Thank you

mikewsmith
    Free Member

,joining them up wasn’t to bad but separating them was a mare.

The pliers for splitting them have been one of the best investments I have ever made in tools, even on the old 9sp it just saves the faff and greasy fingers.

minley1
    Free Member

Excellent, a satisfying ‘Click’ and the chain is joined, thanks Scotroutes, there was much rejoicing when it worked.

otsdr
    Free Member

The cheapest/simplest way to open them is to wrap one loop of garden wire around the rollers and then pull on the ends using two pliers. You do need to have two pairs of pliers, though.

(the highly detailed schematic below depicts a 9sp link for illustration purposes)
    Using this method on a 9sp/multi-use link will render it useless, as it will score the indentations where the pins should sit.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

A proper link close/split tool is only about £5 anyway. Definitely worth buying one.

rossburton
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend a good split/close tool that works for both 9 and 11 speed?

scotroutes

I have a Park one (it was on offer IIRC) but they should all work fine.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Just use a normal pair of pliers; FFS, how do you think people managed before split link pliers were invented!?!

If you’ve got a spare couple of hours of an evening, it’s worth practicing the technique on an old bit of chain.

scotroutes

Yeah, but it’s TOOLS, innit!

What sort of a man are you?

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

The BBB one has worked fine for me

Matt24k
    Free Member

+1 on the BBB tool

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member
    Yeah, but it’s TOOLS, innit!

What sort of a man are you?

Heh; not much of one; not even got a drill or a log store!

rossburton
    Free Member

I normally use a pair of pliers and am getting bored of the faff. For a few quid, a tool is worth it.

I ask because there are reviews of the BBB one that say it’s a bit too tight for 11 speed links and needs attacking with a file. So I’m wondering if they’re all like this, or whether an alternative is better.

mildbore

My bbb one works fine on 11sp

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Just use a normal pair of pliers; FFS, how do you think people managed before split link pliers were invented!?!

We were all running 9sp which comes apart much easier, we also believed people that said they were not reusable (in reality they just hold a lot tighter)

Think I have these ones
    http://pedros.com/products/tools/cassette-and-chain/quick-link-pliers/

Poopscoop

mikewsmith – Member

We were all running 9sp which comes apart much easier, we also believed people that said they were not reusable (in reality they just hold a lot tighter)

LOL, yeah. Spot on on both counts.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘11 Speed Connectors’ is closed to new replies.