Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • 11-36 9spd cassette what options
  • karnali
    Free Member

what is there available its to go on a hope pro 2 rear so an alloy carrier would be best.

ta

campfreddie
    Free Member

sram jobby… can usually pick them up for quite a reasonable price… can’t remember the part number, but someone will come along in a moment i’m sure.

IA

Sram make a 9sp that goes to 36? Don’t think so, only 9sp option is the deore (no carrier)

scaredypants

I was only aware of a shimano one – maybe deore. Doubt it has a carrier to suit your hub

slinkybike
    Free Member

There are some after market bodges out there I think where you lose the 11t and add a extra 36t cog to the back but I cannot remember the brands and they are not cheap.

thomthumb
    Free Member

deore 12-36 & change the 12t for an 11t (and lockring) is the easiest/ cheapest option.

ran one on my hiope hub; marked it but doesn’t effect the function.

druidh
    Free Member

The Deore 12-36 is all there is. However, you can bodge a 12-36 from a “nicer” 11-32 cassette and an aftermarket 36t cog. There was a thread on this last week.

andyl
    Free Member

buy a steel freehub and use a Deore? Will weigh a lot more though.

Are you sure you need the 36T?

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

XT cassettes are still available in 11-34. Will 2 teeth off the lowest gear really make that much difference?

njee20
    Free Member

buy a steel freehub and use a Deore? Will weigh a lot more though.

Just use the Deore, it won’t make that much difference to the freehub.

The 12-36 is HG61 though, which is SLX innit? Does weigh 424g though, vs 365 for an SLX 10 speed 11-36!

thomthumb
    Free Member

HG61

=deore

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I’d agree with the XT 11-34 idea. Much lighter and won’t chew the freehub.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Mines been fine on my hope free hub.

You can’t fit an 11t on the HG61 12-36t.

If you’re that worried get a steel free hub body for the hub

kayak23

Got mine on a Nukeproof hub and its been fine. I’m winchin’ up the hills on 32-36t…

PaulD
    Free Member

Steve-b77,

Why can you not fit the 11T as a susbtitute for the 12T on a 12-36 HG61?

Looking at the options on the HG61 on Shimano Tech, I cannot see why it will not work with the correct 11T lockring.

Given all shifters dump the cable on the last shift to slack, you use the mech limiter to set the travel, so even if the sprocket is too thick or thin it can still work (I have used an 8-sp 11T on a 9-sp cassette).

PaulD

mikewsmith
    Free Member

On the it makes no difference running deore on an alloy ProII Freehub I just threw mine in the bin complete with a cassette (true is was an original ProII) was chewed so much it was stuck fast, short of cutting off it wasn’t budging so got a steel one.

zippykona

Never really thought about it before – alloy freehub needs an alloy carrier. Is that right? Xt is alloy for 6 sprockets and slx for 3.
    Would slx be ok? When changing wheels recently I had to bash my steel cassette off of my Ali free hub.
    Its all making sense now.
    If I need a new cassette might take this opportunity to go 1×10. Where’s cheapest for a slx setup?

soobalias
    Free Member

hope proII alloy hub needs an alloy carrier

if you want to use a cheap cassette, you will need a new freehub (eventually) be that a steel one or a new alloy one its not cheap….. but then neither is a top end cassette.

zippykona

Sparkly new 10 speed setup or £60 for a steel free hub. I know which is more sensible but its nearly my birthday!

yesiamtom
    Free Member

to go from 32 to 34 tooth costs about 50 grams on a deore hub. So I hate to think what a 36 tooth would be. Go for the 32 tooth and run a smaller ring up front. I dont see any point in single ring front frankly other than fashion/looks when compared with a double ring. This is coming from a die hard singlespeeder too so I hate gears as i am too dumb to operate them.

zippykona

Have never been out of my middle ring on my 29er and on my full sus the front mech picks up stones and never works!

thomthumb
    Free Member

This is coming from a die hard singlespeeder too so I hate gears as i am too dumb to operate them.

mee too; which is why i like 1×9. 1 button easier 1 harder. no worries about wheter it’d be better to be in the same gear but on a different ring etx.

kayak23

I dont see any point in single ring front frankly other than fashion/looks when compared with a double ring

Simplicity, chain retention, noise(when rattling down rough trail), one less cable, weight…… need any more reasons? 😉

rootes1

those 12-36 deore cassette are super weighty…

thomthumb
    Free Member

Simplicity, chain retention, noise(when rattling down rough trail), one less cable, weight…… need any more reasons?

tyre clearance…

docrobster
    Free Member

Gear inches with 32 chainring: (26r, according to sheldon brown)
    32 sprocket: 26.0
    34 sprocket: 24.5
    36 sprocket: 23.1
    I doubt there’s anything that you definitely can’t get up in 32/34 that you definitely can in 32/36?
    Just pedal harder!

karnali
    Free Member

just needing a new cassette, will stick with 34 would have gone 36 if the option was avail

cheers for all the advice

rOcKeTdOg

Simplicity, chain retention, noise(when rattling down rough trail), one less cable, weight…… need any more reasons?

tyre clearance…

The abilty to MTFU and just pedal?

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘11-36 9spd cassette what options’ is closed to new replies.