Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 11-25 cassette for Lakes road ride
  • Flaperon

Big ride planned around the Lakes next week, at the moment on 11-25 cassette on the gnaarmac bike. Felt a bit undergeared in the past, will I notice a difference sticking an 11-28 replacement cassette on?

Can’t go bigger than 11-28; not going to buy a new Di2 rear mech as well. Apparently this route includes Hardknott pass, not quite at Chris Froome fitness this year and believe performance enhancing drugs are now frowned upon.

Will I die etc

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I did the Fred Whitton on a compact with an 11-25 out back and got around OK, I wasn’t fast, but had hardly done any training. A bigger gear on the cassette would of been nice, but it’s not essential.

Junkyard
    Free Member

you wont die – well we all will but not due to incorrect gearing
    You will notice but not by much up Hardknott
    Fit your walking shoes

tomkerton
    Free Member

Do it, put the 28 on. It’s ‘kin steep up Hardknott. You’ll thank me.

jam-bo

Hardknott will hurt whatever you fit.

mboy
    Free Member

A 28 will give you roughly a 12% easier gear.

Only you will know if 12% will make enough difference or not.

Personally, a 28 is smaller than I’d run, but then I’m a spinner not a grinder.

tang
    Free Member

Lindarets road link and you can go 36 or 40 on a short road mech! I’ve just put one on the 1×10 crosser for some Wales unpaved action.

butcher

Standard chainset or compact? Either way, go as big as you can. Hardnott is steep all the way up. Not unmanageable in itself. But when you combine it with all the other big climbs before and after….depending on your route of course, it might well near kill you. I don’t think the comments about taking your walking shoes are entirely tongue in cheek…

smuttiesmith
    Free Member

Go with the 28.

If you are on 10 speed Di2 you can run a 12-30 Cassette no problem. I have been doing for a while.

Life long Lake District resident, roadie for 24 years and serial Whitton rider.

Other opinions are available

Yet1man

crazy-legs

I’ve seen Hardknott done on a 39:25 and it wasn’t pretty. I think the rider had a cadence down in single figures.
    Every time I’ve ridden it I’ve specifically used the CX bike with slick tyres – and I’m someone who actually likes climbing!

I did the FW again this year and used a 34:36 low gear! I’ve done it on 34:28 and 34:30 as well.

onandon
    Free Member

Worth it as a bail out gear.12 / 28 cassettes are on special at crc.

jam-bo

34:32 for me on the FW this year. Hardest climb I’ve done, especially with 95 miles in your legs already.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve done it on 36:28, hard like you’d expect but doable with out of the saddle grinds..

You do know it’s in the rules to go flat chat all the way up then vomit??

Page 8, para 5, line 16…

Grow some, have fun 😀

jonba
    Free Member

Ridden all the climbs on the FW route with 34:25. Was hard, would have taken an easier gear if available at the time. Probably would have struggled in the wet too.

If you can do, you can always not use it – no one should care what gear you are riding.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

It depends. How big of a ride and Hardknott at what mileage ? If under 100, Hardknott early on, It’ll be hard, you’ll cuss and curse but it’ll be doable.
    (If your fitness is up there obviously)

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘11-25 cassette for Lakes road ride’ is closed to new replies.