Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • 10×3 – is it compatible with 9 speed chainsets?
  • PJay
    Free Member

Everything seems to be going 10 speed at the moment. According to Singletrack’s piece on 2012 Deore kit, even that’s moving to a 10×3 setup. Sooner or later I guess that you won’t be able to buy decent 9 speed kit.

I’ve got a perfectly decent 9 speed XT crankset that I’d rather keep, it’s Octalink but running on a 50mm chainline. Could I use a 10 speed cassette, chain, rear mech. and shifter with a 9 speed chainset? Singletrack’s article talks about a directional 10 speed chain but not whether it’s narrower than a 9 speed one (there was some compatibility between 8 and 9 speed kit).

If the chainset’s a no goer, could I change to 10 speed rings or would it be simpler (if more expensive) simply to upgrade the whole drivetrain?

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’ve had no issues with 9 speed SLX chainset and 10 speed SRAM chain.

njee20
    Free Member

Yep it’ll work fine, may not be quite as smooth as 10 speed rings, but it’ll work.

PJay
    Free Member

Excellent, so 3×10 on a 50mm chainline 9 speed chainset should work. I’m sure that 9 speed is just fine but I guess that at some point availability of spares is going to force my hand.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘10×3 – is it compatible with 9 speed chainsets?’ is closed to new replies.