• This topic has 6 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by IA.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • 10mm bolt throu for QR forks
  • chunkychew
    Free Member

Has anyone tried running a 10mm bolt through (I was thinking DT 10mm RWS or similar) for QR forks (Fox F120’s) and a Hope Pro11?

Did it make any difference, and was the extra expense worth it?

It’s either that or £140 for 15mm Fox-maxle-thing lowers… (or stick with QR)

gingerflash

Front axles are 9mm, rears are 10mm.

I use the 9mm DT RWS on the front (Revelation) and it might feel a bit stiffer, but it’s hard to say, it’s not a massive difference. I suspect it’s not as noticeable as the full-on 20mm axles. Of course, you can wind up the skewer a fair bit tighter than you can a normal QR so it might be a bit more secure as well as a little stiffer.

For me, there was no expense as my DT wheels came with the fatter skewer.

Olly
    Free Member

i ran a 456 bolt through front hub, it was awesome, then the bearings died, and it turns out they cant be removed or maintained!
    SAFE!!!
    now im on a regular pro2, with an XT QR, but i agree, i think hope would be onto a winner if they made a pro2 setup (as all pro2s are the same, convertable between the different standards) that is 10mm bolt.
    it wouldnt take much…..

DT swiss RWS are stupid money iirc

firestarter
    Free Member

i run the 9mm dt one on the front and the 10mm on the back they were on the wheels so a no cost upgrade it sure felt stiffer up front but no change felt on the rear

RicB

no change felt on the rear

That makes a very refreshing change from all those who swear blind a 10mm bolt-through rear transformed their bike completely! 🙂

Perhaps we could bring out a new ‘in-between’ standard, say 12mm. You know, just to p1ss everyone off :-/

firestarter
    Free Member

lol 😉

IA

12mm standard’s common on the rear for DH bikes…

Problem is hope don’t make pro2 adapters for 9mm. They told me they might if there was demand though. But I have a Cunning Plan to machine some QR ones into 9mm ones, and see how that goes.

Though it may be for a lot of folk new lowers aren’t much more expensive, really, when you consider to get the same with dt is £42 skewer + £15 on some seals (cos you’d get them too with new lowers..) that’s you at ~£60. So a bit more to have new lowers (possibly in a better colour than what you have?) not too bad…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘10mm bolt throu for QR forks’ is closed to new replies.