Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 105 indexing problems
  • prezet
    Free Member

Running 105 groupset on my commuter. Had a few issues with shifting this year but always managed to get them sorted. One being excessive play in the jockey wheels, and the other being a partly seized/dried out hanger bolt spring.

Anyway – it’s been running well for a few weeks, and has suddenly stopped shifting well. Numerous attempts of fiddling with adjuster screws sees the low gears shift nicely, but the high gears not so much, or vice versa. Yesterday, as the 10 speed mechs are so cheap I took a punt on a new one. Last night fitted it. Bit of fiddling an the indexing was much improved.

But there’s still the odd time when the gear won’t quite shift. Getting a bit frustrated with it now. I’ve had no crashes or knocks, so I don’t think the hanger is out of alignment. I replaced the inner cable a few months ago. The chain was replaced in spring, and I only do about 15 miles a day on it.

Any ideas on what else to look at?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Outer cable is probably knackered or the hanger is a bit bent

iainc

when replacing inner really should do outer too, so that could be it. Otherwise my bet would be mech hanger – you may not have bumped it, but someone else might have when its at work/locked up ? doesn’t take much – my Defy had a slightly bent hanger from new !

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cheap or sticky outer cable.

And limit screws won’t affect shifting (beyond the extreme sprockets).

prezet
    Free Member

Sorry, I meant the barrel tension adjuster screws. Not the high/low ones on the mech itself.

prezet
    Free Member

So last night replaced outer and inner cables with new. Indexing is much improved but there’s still the odd time it fails to shift. So I quarter turn the cable tension adjuster and it shifts, but then it won’t shift back down.

It’s getting a bit annoying now. Could it be the chain or lack of needs more lube?

I’d struggling to believe it’s the hanger alignment as it’s integrated (non-replaceable) and almost 5mm of steel.

Kryton57

Check the “nipple” is seated/routed in the lever properly. After installation I had the same issue, and later found out it hadn’t seated quite right leaving some excess slack in the cable at the bottom end of the mech. Stick it in the highest gear so you can see it, undo it at the rear mech and give it a good tug.

dvatcmark
    Free Member

I have the same problem with my 105 gears on my commuter (5700 series). Spent literally hour trying to get the indexing to work, and still haven succeeded.

Yet I have the same setup on my road bike and that works perfectly. I can’t work it out, I’ve even swapped the gear between the bikes and the problem followed.

The only thing ive got left to try is removing the paint inside the cable stoppers on the frame

TiRed

It’ will be friction in the cable at the last outer before the RD. Remove clean with WD40 and replace. Or just buy another. Wet weather riding and grit ingress is the culprit. It’s VERY annoying. I just replace the outer now.

prezet
    Free Member

It’ will be friction in the cable at the last outer before the RD. Remove clean with WD40 and replace. Or just buy another. Wet weather riding and grit ingress is the culprit. It’s VERY annoying. I just replace the outer now.

I replaced the inners and outers last night with new and didn’t sort.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

B screw is my bet, adjust it so the mech is as close the cassette as is physically possible-it’s something I see a lot of & experienced on my own bike until I worked out what was causing it!

perchypanther
    Free Member

105 indexing problems

….but a b**** ain’t one 8)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘105 indexing problems’ is closed to new replies.