Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • 100mm sprint training
  • Earl
    Free Member

As a part of my mid life crisis training I’ve started to incorprate the 100mm sprint into my workout. I’m not too fussed comparing myself against others but would like to be as fast as I can be. Does anyone know if techneque plays a substantial part in the 30-100mm portion? i.e. is it worth trying to get a session or 2 with a coach.

woody2000

100mm sprint? New niche event for ultra-midgets? 😀

Stoner
    Free Member

100mm

I have the world record for that. 8.95 seconds.
    Like greased lightening, me.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Is only 4 inches so I would’t bother

molgrips
    Free Member

Wow, is this some new event? Can’t imagine it’s a good spectator sport. 100mm is over in a flash.

I assume you mean 100m btw 🙂 And yes of course technique is important.

RealMan
    Free Member

Is only 4 inches so I would’t bother

I bet you say that to all the girls.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Earl, on his marks, earlier…

portlyone

Sounds like my kinda run!

lunge

Assuming the mean 100m, the classic technique is head upright looking forward, knees high, arms pumping up and down. But, there are a good few very successful runner who did not follow this and did very well!

phil.w
    Free Member

100m training is mostly about drills and weights. so yes, technique plays a large part.

Earl
    Free Member

Ha! ta

Been doing a lot of classic exercises over the last 3 months (squats, lunges, bench, chins, cleans, cruches etc) and seen a huge improvement in my cycling fitness.

Went from benching 40kg to 90kg (my body weight) in 10 weeks @ 2 sessions a week – not showing off but just saying that with a bit of middle age anger it only takes that long to improve things physically(you can do it! think Rob Schneider).

I’ll google ‘sprint drills’ and see what i get….

TooTall
    Free Member

I have to ask – why? Sprinting is really only an end to itself. When I was training seriously for rugby, my coach (ex Wales coach) told me that the exercises were ultimately not very good for me, but would improve my sprinting. So – unless you are sprinting, can’t see what it would do for you that other exercises would do better.

molgrips
    Free Member

When I was 16 I did reps of 150m as training for the 200m. No idea if that’s current thinking or not tho.

Re why.. I was doing 1 min or was it 2 min intervals last year, interspersed with steady sessions. One afternoon I just thought ‘fk this’ and sprinted flat out. Felt amazing.

For me at least, sprinting is part of me and who I am. It’s what I’m made for, and it feels just brilliant 🙂 So I totally understand. It’s just a shame there are no events for old gits.

Earl
    Free Member

I just thought ‘fk this’ and sprinted flat out. Felt amazing.

Exactly………

Earl
    Free Member

Sprinting is the only exercise where i feel like I’m giving it absolute 100%.

ok I’ll climb on my bike till I puke and I’ll static squat till I blackout but its not the same as sprinting….

lunge

It’s just a shame there are no events for old gits.

It really is, I too am a (now ex.) sprinter and would love to do it again. They need levels of race like XC races. I might have a chance in the sport catergory.

lunge

Sprinting is the only exercise where i feel like I’m giving it absolute 100%.

Could not agree more.

molgrips
    Free Member

What sprinting did you do then lunge? I stopped after school – I was going through a bit of a rejection of competitive values at that point.. which I was to rediscover later 🙂

lunge

molgrips, I ran up to national level until I was about 17 when I discovered beer and girls. At that time I was competing with Mark Lewis-Francis and there was not much in our times, I’ve beaten him a couple of times and vice versa.

At 17 I decided I didn’t want to go running 4 times a week and instead wanted to drink beer and chase girls. Mr Lewis-Francis decided the get his head down and got rather good.

molgrips
    Free Member

I decided I hated the tension of hanging around all day waiting for your 20 seconds of activity and decided I’d rather ride a bike.

I’m far less gifted at that! I should really have been a rugby player on the wing.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

…and chase girls

I bet you were good at that then 😉

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘100mm sprint training’ is closed to new replies.