Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • £100k house on BBC2
  • oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Load of bollocks or possible – discuss
    Having done a fair bit of renovation (derelict farm) I think it’s a load of bollocks

MrOvershoot

Well given how they have bulldozed through the budget so far I call “no flipping chance”

chewkw
    Free Member

How about the land cost? Free? 😯

failedengineer

Speaking as someone who was born and brought up in Nelson, I would have thought you could buy Burnley for £100,000 …..

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

More of a discussion in general rather than that particular house.

Cougar

I would have thought you could buy Burnley for £100,000 …..

A little while back there were properties in Burnley going for eight grand.

Had my Victorian terrace valued not so long ago (like, last year), figure I was given was £50K.

midlifecrashes

Missed the start, but there are 500+ properties on Rightmove here for up to £100k, loads of them new build. What are they trying to do?

P-Jay
    Free Member

I reckon so, providing you own the plan and have PP.

I was once told £750 per square metre of ground space for a simple two-story house, up to £1000 for something a bit more complex.

100m2 would be a decent sized 3-bed wouldn’t it?

(I’m not watching the TV show)

TheBrick
    Free Member

Doing basic build for 100k should not be an issue it’s the land cost.

Drac

A little while back there were properties in Burnley going for eight grand.

Bloody flashy southerns. Meanwhile up north.

teenrat

The finished house looks horrible, both outside and in.

chewkw
    Free Member

I would like to build a house in a cube shape that I shall call … The house of Borg. 😆

Then get an artist to paint it into the background like being stealth …

marcus7
    Free Member

Seems to work for them but.. 😯

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Had my Victorian terrace valued not so long ago (like, last year), figure I was given was £50K.

Yeah, I sold my house in Accy for about that.
    6years ago.
    Sadly, there’s still some on the market now that where when I sold mine..
    So yeah, 100k in Burnley is well achievable..

Cougar

Where was that? (I’ve asked you before I think, but don’t remember)

alanl
    Free Member

It can be built, pretty easily, for 100k.
    However, the land may cost that too.
    Tommy Walsh did a great series 6 or so years ago, showing exactly how he went about it, and the result was really good. It was roughly £60k for the build, and another £60k for the land, but, the house was far better than anything else available at the total price.
    A quick google shows this:
    http://www.timber-building.com/features/the-eco-house-that-tommy-built/

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Cougar, it was on Dowry St
    Top end, opposite the Accy Pal’s Curch.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

When I had a look around the same building company were doing 3 different site locally (back in the UK) the exact same plans & houses in 3 different locations had a variation of 100k, get the land right and you can build houses for a good price.

trail_rat
    Free Member

So true mike.

Houses in milltimber west ( which is actually culter no bones about it the company are just a bunch of ****) are 100k more than the same house on the same size plot in bridge of don due to being on “deeside”

bruneep

Ahh but prices go up if you live in BOD West 😉

globalti
    Free Member

They already owned the plot. I liked the way the profile of the house fitted with the line of the terrace, but I was disgusted that they missed the apostrophe off the “Khan’s Residence” plaque.

The end result was pretty bling though, and I noticed that they had a huge gas hob in the middle of the kitchen with apparently no cooker hood or extractor to carry away all the cooking smells. That’s going to make the whole house whiff of garlic and spices, not to mention build up a fair amount of condensation.

Cougar

Cougar, it was on Dowry St

Ah, I know where you mean. Mate of mine used to live there though I’m not sure how far up, family name Jackson?

TheBrick
    Free Member

UNless you have have ducting and a extractor to outside thoes blind extractor cooker hoods do bugger all.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

globalti – Member
    I was disgusted that they missed the apostrophe off the “Khan’s Residence” plaque.

I didn’t watch the thing but, given the fact you refer to they (plural) shouldn’t it be “Khans’ Residence”? Meaning either, you’re disgusted they got it wrong in a manner which isn’t the wrong way you prefer, or they misplaced it not missed it assuming “Khan’s” was as it appeared.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I think they where a few doors up Cougar IIRC.. We where in 124.
    Actually looks like we actually sold it for over £60k.
    Who knew? 😳
    (Weirdly, I really miss it up there…)

globalti
    Free Member

I didn’t watch the thing but, given the fact you refer to they (plural) shouldn’t it be “Khans’ Residence”? Meaning either, you’re disgusted they got it wrong in a manner which isn’t the wrong way you prefer, or they misplaced it not missed it assuming “Khan’s” was as it appeared.

Er… I don’t understand!

Since Khan is the local Councillor and the central character in the setup, the house being designed with his business in mind, I’d have thought that the singular “Khan’s” would be most appropriate.

Cougar

I think they where a few doors up Cougar IIRC.. We where in 124.

Small world. I’m not sure which number they were at TBH, the lad I knew had moved out by then so I only visited once. Still, anyway, sorry for the thread derailment, as you were.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

This may be a misunderstanding coming from not watching the program but…

My understanding is this:

Residence refers to home not place of business.
    Khan would refer to the name of the occupant(s) (given its a residence, not a business)
    They indicates more than two residents.
    Given only a single name appears the deduction is that name relates to all or multiple residents.

So…

Multiple Khan makes Khans
    The house belongs to (multiple) Khans so becomes Khans’

If it were the workplace of Mr Khan, a business called Khan(‘s) or only mr Khan living there it would be Khan’s Residence/office or what not.

Not that it matters any how, its all pedantry and internet posturing, it simply brings to mind something I was told as youngster by a teacher “if you’re going to be a dick about something, at least be right”. (I often forget ignore the second half)

br
    Free Member

FWIW we’re renovating one of our outbuildings (plus adding an extension) into a one-bed granny annex.

We own the land and tenders are coming in at £120k for an all-in-one…, and we live in a cheap-for-labour area.

So I’d suggest while it’s possible to build from scratch for £100k, it’s probably only feasible if you are doing a street/estate – and the land is pretty cheap/free/agricultural.

globalti
    Free Member

The house was on a plain rectangular plan with a regular pitched roof (despite the disaster when all the trusses keeled over…) and the fancy fake stone, not natural as the commentator said, was only on the front facade. So I was surprised that they only got the basic structure for their £100k. But then I know nothing about building costs. I bet it would have been cheaper if they had been a developer building 100 houses on the same site.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘£100k house on BBC2’ is closed to new replies.