Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • £1000 cross/road
  • ojays
    Free Member

Looking at a bike I can use on road rides of all distances (but majority <30miles), can use on a combo of roads and gravel or things like the pennine bridleway and use for some cx training with my club.

Want hydro brakes.

Looking at either the Boardman CXR 9.0 or the Cannondale Slate Apex (rigid lefty one not suspension). Both £1100.

Which would you go for?

Quite different but both look good value at that price. Boardman is 2×11 Rival and has better wheels. Slate is 1×11 Apex and 650b.

Was looking at Boardman Team CX but only comes in £150 less and the frame and wheels are much better on the cxr I think

Ta

funkmasterp

I’d go for the Slate. Only because I like the look of it though, I’m pretty shallow.

Bregante

I bought a Pinnacle Arkose 3 yesterday and I have used it for pretty much exactly what you have described for the first time this afternoon. Just under 30 miles of bridleway dispatched in a couple of hours. Great fun and far more comfortable than the outgoing Kinesis Pro 5 that it will replace. Tyres are better than expected but ultimately they will be swapped for something tubeless. Otherwise the spec is perfect for me.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Pinnacle Arkose is mint. Always worth pricing up a custom build though, I built one for a mate a couple of years ago with a better spec for less than what Evans were selling them for. The frames are £250 which leaves you alot of money for the rest of the build. I bought some stuff second hand off ebay, if you’re lucky you can get some mint stuff for **** all.

core
    mtbtomo
    Free Member

I found my Arkose not overly comfy and a bit sluggish, even with lighter wheels than standard. Looked nice in matt blue but to ride it was solid and safe rather than inspiring.

Now I’ve got a Giant TCX which is still a bit heavy compared to a dedicated road bike but it seems a bit more lively. However, having cross geometry, there is more toe overlap than there was with the Arkose. Depends if you’d find that annoying.

EDIT – Why have people started talking about Arkoses when you’ve asked between a Boardman and a Cannondale?? 🙄

The Cannondale looks fun, but the 1×11 gearing might be limiting on the road and I also don’t know how the 650B wheels would fair. Boardman would probably be the more versatile and less limiting when you’re on a road ride – but still good for CX.

astormatt
    Free Member

If you are planning on using it on the road, i would definitely be looking at something 2x.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘£1000 cross/road’ is closed to new replies.