Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • £1000 Bike help please
  • belsyde
    Free Member

Hi

52 years old love biking skill level average at best. Only ever ride up to Red route and will also use new bike for tiny bit of road and plenty of canal paths etc.

Currently have Giant XTC2 hardtail prob 10 years old now -time to get a new one and would appreciate your help.

The XTC has been a good bike – only negatives are front end is a tad low – understand it is a cross country rather than a trail bike. Rest is good.

I am lucky enough to live near to Glentress so will likely be there weekly in winter but never really do anything that is too difficult.

My question is: is there much different between CC bikes like the XTC nowadays and more trail orientated bikes perhaps like the Whyte 801/901. having been on a few sites the message seems to be slacker front ends. If I got the Whyte is this a negative when I am just going to town on paths etc? Would you make any suggestions somewhere between the XTC and 801/901?

Help appreciated

superstu
    Free Member

How about the Boardman range of bikes? Something like this currently on offer and we’ll under budget

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=165499&productId=1173726&storeId=10001

z1ppy

I’m not familiar with HT’s in this price range, so can’t specify a model, but the brand’s Canyon (mail order) & Boardman jump to mind in this price range. I’d also maybe be considering a 29er, as though they are experiencing a revolution in geometry, you still have a lot more XC style about. Also a XC-ish 29er would suit you canal/forest trails ‘filler’ rinding.
    All that said, if you can demo some of the more ‘trail’ geometry bikes, you may find you like them!

paulneenan76
    Free Member

For what you are describing a 29’er HT would be best. Plenty sub £1k whichll be fine across bridle-ways and canal paths along with trail abuse.

olly2097
    Free Member

Bizango. Spend the rest on a dropper and some deore brakes and you’ll have a cracking ride.

chakaping
    Free Member

Boardman Pro 29er when Halfords are doing 20% off – then another 10% with British Cycling membership.

Absolutely unbeatable for that money (about £720) and actually rides really well.

You could even use the rest of your budget to upgrade the wheels and tyres and get a wider handlebar. That’s all I’ve changed on mine.

prawny

Calibre Bossnut is 10% off at the mo making it £905

Assuming you don’t get one with a faulty frame like mine they’re a great bike for the money. Leaves you with £95 for an RSP plummet too.

And a fiver left for sweets

ampthill

Evans own brand are also good value

They’ll let you ride on the road for 30 mins which I think has at least some value

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘£1000 Bike help please’ is closed to new replies.