Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • £1000-£1200 Hardtails….recommend!
  • chuckle1
    Free Member

Budget £1000-£1200 for a new long travel hardtail for afternoons at the trail centre or days out x/country riding.

So far found a 2011 Orange Crush and Ragley Blue Pig X9 in this price range.

Any recommendations?

Thx.

carbon337
    Free Member

carbon 456? Arent they about 1200?

honourablegeorge

I’d be trying to build a BFe or Carbon 456 with a cheap SLX groupset and Sektor for that money.

bwaarp
    Free Member

the saracen zen x has won tonnes of reviews

much better value than the orange or any of the others for that matter

jambalaya
    Free Member

Blue Pig isn’t going to be an ideal all day xc bike. Would think a Piglet would be better suited in terms of a choice from Ragley.

BFe, Prince Albert are my two. Adjustable forks for most flexibility (Sektor 150/120 on my BFe). Perfect for what you want just need to manage the build to hit the price point (a complete bike will always be hard to match as they have bulk buy discounts)

Soul would be very good but with frame at £500 vs £300 for BFe you’ll probably struggle to hit the price point.

You can get a 456 Evo comfortably within budget.

rhysw
    Free Member

Custom C456. I love mine

alpin
    Free Member

X9 Blue Pig
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=62610

X9 Pilet
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=62608

X7 Blue Pig (900 quid!)
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=62609

all in the sale. have recommended the Blue Pig to a friend who is after a LT HT.

don’t have one myself, but at that price you can sell the frame and swap the bits.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@alpin – CRC seems to be down or links not working but that’s a fine suggestion to the OP

mildred

I loved my orange crush – brilliant fun bike.

chuckle1
    Free Member

I think I am going with a 2012 Orange Crush at a bargain price, but the carbon 456 definately comes a close second. Thanks for your thoughts and recommendations 😀

orangefatlad
    Free Member

I might be looking sell a rather nice Dialled Apline, with a very good spec:

16″ Dialled Alpine, fox 36 rc2 float 20mm bolt through, hope tech M4, hope pro evo wheels (EN521 rims), renthal stem and bars, xt shifters, cassette and mechs, slx cranks (double n bash), Blackspire Chain guide Thomson elite post, hope headset, hope seat clamp, charge spoon brown saddle, high roller 2.35, ruffian grips, superstar nano tech pedals.

Been building this up for a few months and got it just right!

Honest stuff, stanchions have a couple of scratches of them, the frame has lost its shine in a couple of places, rims have a couple of scratches, pedals are loosing their coating.

The forks have been recently serviced by me where I fitted a new bladder + seals etc.

Would do a much better price than the £1000 – £1200!

Simon

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I built my BFe for around that pice point, some new bits some off classifieds. I also used a Sektor as mentioned above. I’d do it all the same again I love that bike.

PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

I built my BFe for £1260 with revelation rlt’s, slx & xt drivetrain, elixir cr carbon & elixir 5 brakes. Don’t buy anything at rrp (except the frame) and be prepared to wait for sales. Mine would cost over double had I bought everything at rrp. As above I’d do it again! I wish I had bought 2 of everything now! then I could have made a couple of quid 🙂

bigbloke
    Free Member
    paulatmtbleasing
    Free Member

Budget £1000-£1200 for a new long travel hardtail for afternoons at the trail centre or days out x/country riding.

Have you considered one of the 29ers?

Felt have some very reasonably priced 29ers that are well specced. but not long travel (100mm). Also, more XC geometry.

Kona do the Honzo. Slacker geometry than the Felt, depends on what you want to use it for.

Honzo retails for £1,600. Naturally, we lease ’em for a lot less:D – well within budget.

crush83
    Free Member

2011 Orange Crush FTW!!

runs real nice. got me around everything from FOD to W2 with no problems. only changes the grips, saddle (to colour code) and upgraded to Highroller 2 xc EXO tyres (2.4) front and rear, so much more grip than the mountain kings and inspires loads of confidence.

reidy
    Free Member

I’m in the same market but going to push the boat out a little bit more to £1300 and get the cube reaction gtc

simon67
    Free Member
    ncfenwick
    Free Member

Hi not sure if you’d be interested but got a 17″ dialled prince albert for sale, £400.

Classifieds link

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘£1000-£1200 Hardtails….recommend!’ is closed to new replies.