Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • 100 miler
  • easygirl

Doing my first 100 mile road ride on Sunday
    Visiting every police station in G.M.P!
    Don’t ask!!
    Any tips for riding long distances

jam-bo

Eat. Lots. Often

Edric64
    Free Member

Wear good shorts, keep hydrated .You should have a good supply of do-nuts to keep the sugar levels up visiting all those police stations !

mrmo
    Free Member

don’t go off full bore from the start, If your not used to the distance just take the climbs a bit easy than you would normally. eat little, drink, but don’t go stupid on the fluids (too much is as bad if not worse than too little!)

carlos
    Free Member

jam bo – Member
    Eat. Lots. Often

Substitute lots for LITTLE

Suits me better on long run outs

Haze

Don’t take an over-sweet energy drink that you’ve never tried before.

Find a similar paced group and get lots of shelter…but do your turn now & then…

crikey
    Free Member

Plenty of whatever chamois lubricating cream takes your fancy; slap it on and take a bit extra. You’ll get chafed from a combination of salt from dried out sweat and grit flicked up from the road if it’s a rainy day, so plaster it on.

Drink little and often, eat little and often, don’t stop for too long and don’t set off too fast.

Think about the weather, dress appropriately, aim to be warm rather than dry, use socks over your shoes to keep the grit out; wearing overshoes in anything other than torrential rain just makes for sweaty feet.

Take a spare pair of gloves, a spare undershirt if you’ve got support, and give me a shout if you need any wet weather gear.

…and think carefully about wee stops, lot easier for chaps…

DT78
    Free Member

I did my first century on the roadie a couple of months after getting my first road bike. It’s not that hard really, just take it steady, plan your route well. 2 of us did it with 2 garage stops for water in 7 hours (6 hours moving) with a couple of energy bars.

Get the climbing out of the way early if you can and check the wind direction so you have a tail on the way back when your knackered

glupton1976
    Free Member

Get on bike, pedal, stop when you get there.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Maybe take a bottle of juice withyou.

samuri
    Free Member

Nipple plasters

DavidB
    Free Member

I’ve yet to lactate on a century?

brooess
    Free Member

Eat well the night before and get a full night’s sleep and a good breakfast – porridge, eggs, wholemeal toast etc
    Feed and water yourself very carefully throughout the ride
    Expect to want to eat the contents of the larder when you get back
    Be prepared to be very determined
    Enjoy the achievement and be very pleased with yourself – it’s underrated IMO

samuri
    Free Member

If you’ve got pecs or boobs, your nipples get pushed against the course material of your jerseys and rub and get very tender. Plus if you;re riding into a cold wind it makes it worse.

I’ve got pecs see, easygirl has boobs.

easygirl

I’ve only got small boobs, but large nipples

easygirl

Samurai, you must remember me, you sold me a bike a while ago

wombat

I’ve only got small boobs, but large nipples

This thread is…….

freeagent
    Free Member

[quoteI’ve only got small boobs, but large nipples[/quote]
    Sorry you’ve lost me, please post a picture up..

DavidB
    Free Member

At last my pigeon chest is a positive thing.

chives
    Free Member

Keep it clean, it’s a family show! 😉

chives
    Free Member

I find I eat surprisingly little, and probably take on less energy drink on a long ride than I would hooning round the woods for a few hours. Peanuts are good later on I find. Haribo are just good.

flap_jack
    Free Member

work chamois creme into the pad in your shorts. especially into any seams. this tip got me through a fortnight of centuries a couple of years ago…

dsb181
    Free Member

What’s a boob?

slugwash
    Free Member

Firstly, make sure they take down your particulars at every cop shop en-route and apply a generous amount of Sudocreme to your bits.

Secondly, 100 miles between police stations is a long way and at the end you’ll probably feel like you’ve been whacked with telephone directories or ‘fallen down the stairs’ so best rest up for a few days and call a good solicitor.

HTH.

samuri
    Free Member

Samurai, you must remember me, you sold me a bike a while ago

Errrm, I’ve sold lots of bikes to lots of people. I’m terribly sorry but which one was this? Honestly, don’t take this personally, my bike turnover in the past has been absolutely immense. I’m trying to think of someone with small boobs and large nipples but to be fair, I’ve known quite a few people who fall into that category.

easygirl

You sold me a black Spesh enduro, delivered it to my house in Horwich, I think
    And I’m no ladee 😀

Must be 10 years ago

Edric64
    Free Member

10 years ago?time for a new one then!

qwerty
    Free Member

A Tazer connected to each thigh, alternatively triggered, should give you some extra watts of output.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Make sure the bike is right!
    good nights sleep, plenty of food, take cash+card for stops en route and emergencies and keep going.

allthepies
    Free Member

Not bad for a fat bizzie.

If you make it 🙂

samuri
    Free Member

Aah yes, got you. I remember.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘100 miler’ is closed to new replies.