Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • 10 year fixed mortgages…
  • toys19
    Free Member

kcal, yeah I understand, was just countering asterixes link to the historical Boe Base rate .

Mintyjim

Considering that variable tracker mortgages are at an amount above the base rate (typically between 2.99 and 3.99 depending on deposit size) a fix at 4% over ten years is actually ok.

1) rates will go up – hopefully not the highs of the 80/90’s
    2) My costs will be fixed and, hopefully, I’d at least see inflation based pay rises (although not in the last 3 years).

I’m back to the 10 years / 4%…

go away Toys19!

mefty
    Free Member

If that was addressed to me, I do but perhaps more importantly I know how it works in practice having worked in banking for well over half my working life. What I have posted above is how banking works in practice.

miketually
    Free Member

2) My costs will be fixed

This is my take. We could fix at a rate close enough to the variable rate’s current value that even if it never rises we’re not going to pay hugely more so our ‘lose’ situation isn’t too bad; I think it was less than a grand over the course of the 5 years. If rates do go up even a little, we win.

The fixed costs was the main benefit for us. I won’t get an inflation-based pay ride in the next few years (we just got 1%, which is our first in 2 or 3 years) so fixing was most important.

toys19
    Free Member

to me a 10 year fix at 2.99% means the banks are convinced that rates will go down, and/or the margin on the rate will go down. IE in 2005 you could get .5% over base rate (I know I’ve got one) now they are all 3-4% over base, this is likely to change as the economy changes.

miketually
    Free Member

to me a 10 year fix at 2.99% means the banks are convinced that rates will go down, and/or the margin on the rate will go down. IE in 2005 you could get .5% over base rate (I know I’ve got one) now they are all 3-4% over base, this is likely to change as the economy changes.

You could easily test your hypothesis by looking at historical rates and working out how often the banks ‘win’.

toys19
    Free Member

I don’t have a record of all the fixed rate deals they have offered, including the fees and exit fees so I have no idea.

mefty
    Free Member

Days of mortgages at 0.5% over base are long gone unless the present bank capital regime is significantly relaxed.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

No it isn’t, its a bet that the mortgage providers have a good handle on rates and set the fix so that over the term of the mortgage you pay more overall than if you had stayed on variable.

Otherwise what is the advantage/gain to the provider of offering a fixed rate mortgage. Do they offer it to magnanimously help you save money?

Or you could look at the fixed as the ‘product’ and the variable as the ‘bet’ rather than the other way arround.

The banks offer both just like bookies offer both football teams in a match. Their aim is to set the rates/odds so that the market buys them in proportion, so that when the rates change the bank should still make money.

e.g a match with 100:1 odds of team A winning. The bookies offer odds of 99:1 and 1:101, hoping that for every person buying a £1 bet at 99:1 they sell £101 of bets at 1:101, so regardless of the outcome they make £1. Which is why you should never bet on an England game, as the odds are limiting the bookies losses as they’ll sell a lot regardless of the odds. Same with local bookies on local teams.

Folowing that to the banking sector you should buy the unpopular product, as the bank will be discounting it to keep the distribution level between the products. But the clever people behind the scenes will be setting rates designed to attract just the right number of customers, and there’ll be targets/limits for each product to keep it that way.

nickjb
    Free Member

Considering that variable tracker mortgages are at an amount above the base rate (typically between 2.99 and 3.99 depending on deposit size) a fix at 4% over ten years is actually ok.

Best I have found is 1.5% above base which makes it more attractive. You do need 60% LTV, though.

Hohum
    Free Member

It does cost banks money to lend money.

They have to hold capital to back the loans that they make.

This capital comes in the form of equity and debt, which is not free.

Mugboo

When I read the figure I would have to pay if interest rates went up by 1% I decided fixed sounded good. I do have four mortgages though! A 2% rise would kill me..

mark90
    Free Member

Our current mortgage is base rate + 0.5% tracker. For the additional borrowing we’re taking out to move house we decided to hedge our bets and split the risk going with a fixed. So whether interest rates stay low or (more likely) go up we’re in a win/lose situation.

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘10 year fixed mortgages…’ is closed to new replies.