Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • 10 Speed XT vs XTR shifters
  • JamieMc
    Free Member

Do the new 10 speed XT shifter shift the same as XTR. What i mean is with the new XT shifters can you upshift 4 if you want to and downshift 2 (as with my 9 speed XTR) or are they still one up and one down like the 9 speed XT shifters? Hope my question makes sense.

mboy
    Free Member

1 down, 3 up. Same as 9spd XT shifters

barbs
    Free Member

I’m prety certain my new XT’s can downshift 2, there’s a double “click”.

the_lecht_rocks

i’ve ran both.

believe this – the XT’s are actually more “punchy” in action and similar to X0 than XTR.

XTR action is incredibly light until you introduce the shadow plus rear mech whick makes the shifting action more resistant and less light / punchy !

HTH 🙂

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

In my experience, the shifters are perhaps the only XTR component worth it – I would run XTR shifters with XT everything else. They’re a vast improvement in feel and performance.

chestrockwell

Agree with Kitz. I had 9sp XTR shifters and they were the best I’ve ever had and miles ahead of the 10sp SLX that replaced them. I’ll be upgrading back to 10sp XTR asap. I’m happy enough with the rest of my SLX/XT mix that works as well as my old XTR mechs, crankset etc.

curvature
    Free Member

I went from 10spd SLX to a single 10spd XTR and it is the best £60 spent on my bike!

scaredypants

wot everybody said
    (for 9sp at least) xtr is just bloody lovely to use and they last forever

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

They are much nicer to use than the XT and the double dowmshift is hard to live without once you have used it!

JamieMc
    Free Member

Thanks for the comments folks. Ive got XTR 9 speed at the moment and really dont want to loose the doublw downshift. I think ill probably go for an XTR 10 shifter and maybe XT for the reast of the drive train.

neninja
    Free Member

I’ve got an XT group with XTR 9sp shifters at the moment. The XTR’s were massively better than the SLX ones I had before.

I’m fitting a 10sp M780 2×10 XT group today and have got a set of XT M780 shifters to try before shelling out the extra for another set of XTR shifters.

From what I’ve read in a few places the 2012 XT shifters have gained most of the features of 2011 XTR but shift with a more positive ‘click’ so some reviewers actually preferred the XT’s as you don’t make accidental multiple changes (the XTR’s are so easy to shift it can happen).

ir12daveor
    Free Member

Compare like with like here.
    You need to compare 2012 XT with 2011 XTR and the new XT shifter do have double down shifting and most (if not all) of the features of the 2011 XTR. There may be a few gramms weight difference and there is a fairly substantial XTR price penalty.

I’m running a mix XT/XTR 2×10 setup on two bikes and it’s running flawlessly (that’s fate tempted!) In both cases I’ve got XTR shadow plus rear mech mated to a set of 2012 XT shifters. The shifting is flawless, I’ve got the double downshift and multiple upshift. Maybe the older XT lacked these features, but the new one definitely has them.

Do xtr shifters have the little windows showing current gear selection? I’m looking on eBay now and confused

timmys

Do xtr shifters have the little windows showing current gear selection?

No, which is a good thing natch.

neninja
    Free Member

Do not buy your XT M780 shifters from Merlin Cycles 👿

Had taken off all the 9 speed kit and came to fit the shifters. On opening the packet I found Merlin don’t supply them with the blanking covers to remove the shift indicator windows which makes them useless for me as they won’t fit. I took the windows off hoping they would be hidden underneath but it must be a separate item.

I’m taking the bike away on Saturday and now have to either refit all the 9 speed kit again or try to get some alternative shifters before Saturday. Not a happy bunny.

stratman
    Free Member

I have a 2012 xt 10spd rear shifter – can upshift 2 with one push, I’ve not counted the downshifts, certainly 3 could be 4.

They don’t come with blanking plates – a pain I agree

neninja
    Free Member

My 2012 Xt’s are going back to Merlin and I’ve ordered a pair of XTR’s from welovemountains.com – decent price and they will get them to me by Thursday (hopefully). How many shops man their phone so late – I phoned them at 7.45pm and they answered the phone to confirm they had stock.

Fingers crossed they arrive in time. Otherwise Friday will be spent refitting the 9 speed stuff. Doh!

Why on earth do Shimano make a big deal of the fact you can remove the XT windows and then not include the covers.

JamieMc
    Free Member

Im thinkin gi may end up going for an XTR shifter. Thanks for all the comments folks. There may be some 9 speed XT kit up for sale soon…

njee20
    Free Member

I’m taking the bike away on Saturday and now have to either refit all the 9 speed kit again or try to get some alternative shifters before Saturday. Not a happy bunny.

Seriously? Why not just put some electrical tape over the holes until you could get the blanking plates! Mountain/molehill confusion for sure!

Jeffus
    Free Member

Highly recommend xtr shifter transformation to my shifting after xt, 10 speed set up.

guitarhero
    Free Member

Weird, my 10 speed XT had the blanking plate. Take the shifter window off, the blanking plate is inside, no?
    Prefer the XTR I have now though, just wish I could purchase a single I-spec clamp for it though.

njee20
    Free Member

They should have, but neninjas discount purchased ones didn’t have. So they were completely ineffective and ruined his life!

neninja
    Free Member

njee20 – if you have absolutely nothing useful to contribute other than troll, why bother.

Nowhere seems to be selling the blanking plates as they are included with the retail packaged M780’s (I checked this morning). I didn’t want to swap all the 9sp stuff back on again having already fitted all the other 10sp stuff and removed all the 9sp kit.

The M780 10 speed shifters are totally different to the M770 which had blanking plates you accessed when you removed the windows. On the M780 they are separate items which are included if you are supplied with retail packaged shifters but are not if you get OEM like Merlin supply.

I thought about using tape over them but the plates are strange shaped on the new XT’s and butt up against the mounting bracket so would be tricky to seal properly. Plus if you can’t easily source the covers what’s the point.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘10 Speed XT vs XTR shifters’ is closed to new replies.