Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • 10 speed worth the effort??
  • jumpupanddown
    Free Member

is it worth the almost £500 it will cost to make my bike 10 speed..

druidh
    Free Member

Unlikely. Where do you feel your current setup is lacking?

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

i want a higher gear so i can go up any thing, want to run 22 36 any way of doing this with 9 speed?

greeble
    Free Member

personally if I was building a new build and looking for new drivechain yes go 10speed.
    I’m currently running 1×9 32 front 12-32t rear and have zero problems with getting up steep stuff
    my brother runs 1×10 34 front 11-34 rear. and I can’t tell the diffence.

jam-bo

22 front, 36 rear?

It would be quicker to walk up.

james
    Free Member

22T front ring and a Deore 12-36T casette is possible, though most rear mechs are designed to run upto a 34T casette sprocket though? Depends how far the B tension screw goes on yours, how big/worn jockey wheels are and how much you mind a jockey wheel/casette ‘buzz’ in bottom gear ..
    Middleburn also offer 40/30/20T rings, but I believe are only available for 5 bolt crankarms. I’m not familiar with 5bolt, but I know middleburn crankarms will fit for one
    20:36 would be about another gear lower than 22:34

james
    Free Member

“22 front, 36 rear?
    It would be quicker to walk up”

Depends how fast you spin?
    If its a pedal mashingly slow speed/cadence your at then likely yes, but manically spinning up rubble/etc IME I’d say not

Though you’ve got to factor in the extra slowness of getting off/on the bike if you’re not going to ride you bike on the bike ride that you’re apparantly undertaking

deanfbm
    Free Member

Is there anything you’re not getting up with your current gear?

Even if you’re on 22/34 (0.647) now, 22/36 (0.611) will only be 5% “easier”. That would make zero tangible difference.

The real advantages for 10 speed is that you can drop down to double or going further, dropping down to a single ring.

Or for roadies or serious XCers, maintains a more consistent cadence.

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

I over taken loads of people pushing bikes going up the other side of Jacobs ladder in granny gear. Its faster to ride, ive tried it both ways just to see, its more fun to ride any way develop youre trail skills.

speaker2animals

How long will it take you to earn the £500? If you can fork it out and still do all the other spending that you do in a month then probably yes. If it takes you 12 months to save it and you have to cut out other things to do so, I’d say no.

If you are bunging it on a credit card, I’d have a look at the current economic climate and have a serious think about it.

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

Even if you’re on 22/34 (0.647) now, 22/36 (0.611) will only be 5% “easier”. That would make zero tangible difference.

i once almost killed my self riding all the way up a big hill only to stall 0.5 meters from the top…its would have made all the difference.. 🙂

thomthumb
    Free Member

i want a higher gear so i can go up any thing, want to run 22 36 any way of doing this with 9 speed?

HG61 12-36

hth

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

How long will it take you to earn the £500? If you can fork it out and still do all the other spending that you do in a month then probably yes. If it takes you 12 months to save it and you have to cut out other things to do so, I’d say no.

If you are bunging it on a credit card, I’d have a look at the current economic climate and have a serious think about it.

was going to spend my first ever bonus on it.. just to celebrate having my first ever real job.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

was going to spend my first ever bonus on it.. just to celebrate having my first ever real job.

£500 would go a long way towards giving you your first real holiday.

bruneep

Bonus?

How do you come to the £500 price, bought a XT groupset from actionsports.de for about £300.

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

How do you come to the £500 price, bought a XT groupset from actionsports.de for about £300.

xtr levers xrt brake levers, xt casset, xtr rear mech, xt chain, cables… about 500 quid:(

rwc03
    Free Member

Agree with bruneep, if you shop around you can go 10 speed for less than that. Got xt with the fancy new xtr rear mech for £350 from rosebikes and using crc vouchers.

Edit: with the brakes that is £500

cookeaa

The Simple answer is Yes you can assemble an 11-36t 9 speed cassette, most easily by changing the bottom 12t sprocket on an HG-61 for an 11t…

But I’m not sure there is that much advantage in doing this, you could just opt for an 11-34 – 9speed off the shelf cassette and “Nut up” for the lack of 2 teeth…

My own current lowest available ratio is 30-22 at the minute about 19 “Gear inches” That gets used very infrequently and TBH is probably a bit too “spinney” – 36-22 would come out a shade under 15.9 and 34-22 works out at 16.8 the gains would be minimal…

Perhaps your easiest, short term option is to get an 11-34 9 speed cassette just to try having a broad range cassette and see how you get on with it…

Don’t get too caught up with the idea of having 10spd kit on your bike, it’s just the latest gimick all the old 5/6/7/8/9spd kit hasn’t suddenly ceased to function.

There are far better things you can do with your Bonus….

momo

I made the change back in the summer from 1×9 (32/11-32) to 1×10 (34/11-36). I think it’s an improvement, better gear range for me and the shift seems to be better too. Cost me about £250 for XT chain, mech and cassette, single XTR shifter and a renthal chainring.

The mech and shifter I have removed, along with the old chainring have gone into the spares box and will be used when I build my second bike up next year (I have a full bikes worth of parts knocking around in the garage) and the cassette and chain were goosed anyway, so were due to be changed.

Personally I wouldn’t take perfectly good 9spd parts off a bike to fit 10spd, the difference isn’t that profound, however if your drivetrain is pretty worn, then it’s a worthwhile upgrade.

skywalker
    Free Member

You can get this years 10 speed XT group set for 379.90 Euros, or last years for 299 Euros

DanW
    Free Member

In summary:

1) 10spd isn’t worth it for an easier gear- smoother cadence, yes, going double up front, yes.
    2) 22-36 is daft be it 9 or 10 spd. It isn’t so different from 22-34 which is itself far too easy a gear. Climbing on any surface that is vaguely loose will result in loss of traction or climbing anything vaguely steep and technical will most likely have the front lifting. Granted these effects can be reduced by various means but 22-32 or preferably 22-28 should be practical for most people.

Just my 2 cents to reiterate what other have already said 😀

stevepitch
    Free Member

Wow and I thought I spent a lot going 1×10 at £120 notes saying that I dont think the wife would let me spend xtr money 🙁

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Well it ‘cost’ me £110 for X7 shifters, X9 mech, chain and 1050 cassette (i think, its aluminium bodied?) casette.

I say ‘cost’ as the chan and cassette needed replacing as the cassette was a OEM one and weighed a ton, so the upgrade wasnt all that, and the original went on my winter bike for occasional rides.

Is it any better?

36t sprocket is usefull, but I’m no faster than I was. And I prefered the clunkyness of the older SRAM shiting, the new ones are much smoother.

snowpaul
    Free Member

I love low gears – tried riding up cadair idris or most of snowdon / helvellyn / high street without a granny? I would love a 22 x 36….

I would stick with 9spd untill its worn out then upgrade to narrower chains and 10 spd which does wear out quicker than 9 spd in my experience ( thats on the road bike though )

rotten
    Free Member

Love my 22×36 gear, also love riding big mountains and after 6hrs riding this ratio gets used a lot. On super steep climbs I would be quicker walking but I’m on a bike ride not a walk.

fivespot
    Free Member

Cost me less than £200 to go 1×10…. XTR Shifter, XT Shadow mech, XT 11-36 Cassette, Sram 1050 chain, Middleburn chainring, ( with a bit of carefully researched bargain hunting ) and got almost half of that back by selling my old XT shifters, mechs and cassette. Plus saved over 1/2 pound in weight 8)

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘10 speed worth the effort??’ is closed to new replies.