Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • 10 speed with a single ring, tell me why it's worth….
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

10 speed with a single ring, tell me why it’s worth….IRO £200

Cassette £40
    Chain £15
    Rear mech £30
    Hope 40 tooth thing £42
    Shifter £30
    Wide narrow ring £40

Sell it to me…..

Jamie
    Free Member

I went 1×10 for just over £100.

KMC 10sp chain, Deore XT cassette, SLX Shifter/clutch mech, and Raceface N/W ring.

…do you really need 40t?

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

The trails will come alive!!!

maximusmountain
    Free Member

Well assuming you already have a 10spd shifter, 2 of these things are unnecessary. You don’t need a cassette expander just because its trendy. Dont need a NW ring, guide rings are pretty good, or buy the SS one. Don’t have to buy a new rear mech but it does help!

Personally I think you are just pricing yourself out it before you consider the simplicity of it and it looks neater/removes a cable. No other reasons in my opinion.

scaredypants

cassette wore out, as did chain

bought ultegra flat bar shifter for about 50 quid and a 10sp cassette/chain for little more than a similar 9sp one

result – only did it for the extra range though; if they’d made a 9sp 11-36* I’d not have bothered

*that didn’t weigh a ton

uselesshippy
    Free Member

You lose half a pound plus of weight, and your chain doesn’t come off.

Kahurangi

when building up a new bike I went 1 x 10 because it was cheaper than 2 x 10. Simple!

1 less mech, 1 less shifter. (or should that be 1 fewer… ) 😉

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Mech and chain wore out, was already 1×9 so a shifter and cassette were the only expenses on top of what I was going to have to pay.

Wait till you need to do a fresh drivetrain.

cookeaa

Well you can “go 1×10” for less than £200, do you really need the whole lot to be XT?

Generally you do it because Its a bit simpler, its entirely up to you to decide if its actually of any benefit to you…

A t Rex or similar might help by broadening the available range of gearing a bit but its not a necessity, TBH 2 x 10 probably makes more sense for most people…

If you need “selling” on it then I doubt its really for you’ll…

edhornby

don’t bother with the expander, but the real bonus is the simplicity

edoverheels
    Free Member

It just is, if you need telling then don’t bother.

isitafox
    Free Member

Don’t buy it all brand new, I’m doing a fresh build for myself and have decided on 1×10 and the only new parts I bought were the N/W and the chain, total spend with Zee shifter and XT block and clutch mech was £100

mikewsmith
    Free Member

By your reckoning it’s cheaper than 2x as you haven’t listed a front mech and shifter on your list.

I got a Hope Retainer and T-Rex and thats all it cost me.

ichabod
    Free Member

Doesn’t have to cost that much! I justified it to myself when my 9speed cassette and chain wore out.

£30 – XT shifter. £35 – SLX mech, £25 – on-one chainring. Used some CRC codes too. Also you are left with a pair of 9 speed mechs and shifters which could be worth £30ish depending on spec and condition.

So after all that you are looking at an excess spend of more like £50.

GEDA
    Free Member

One of my bikes runs 10 speed. Two of them run a 9 speed Sram shifter with 10 speed shimano clutch mech and thick thin. I cannot tell any difference in range between the 10 and 9 speed. I have never felt the need for a big rear ring but then I am a masher not a spinner.

matther01
    Free Member

Simplicity, weight saving and less clutter for a dropper remote

cp

As above, just do it when your existing drive wears out. No ‘need’ for a 40t expander.

You can get bits a lot less than you list.

I’ve done it on my Anthem 29er. It’s brilliant, no dropped chains at all -even where I’d drop a chain on my 2×9 and no chain clattering against the frame. nice if you run a dropper post so you can put the remote below the bar on the LHS. Less kit to clog with mud up front.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Sometimes I do wish I had a 40t but if its too steep I just push now, which turns out to be faster than my mates on their granny rings anyway.

I do love not having to worry about the front mech, chain slipping off and chain suck.

daver27
    Free Member

Its:
    Quieter
    Cleaner
    Easier to clean
    Doesn’t trap mud around front mech
    Lighter weight
    Less clutter on the bars
    Really does have all the gears you’ll need
    Chain doesn’t fall off
    Easier to maintain
    Cheaper to maintain
    and
    It looks cool.

duncdan
    Free Member

Because it is the latest in thing to do. Next yr it will be 3×7 cos u get better weight distribution, its cheaper, simler, more reliable, ligrhter… Blar blar blar

curiousyellow
    Free Member

1. NO TRIM!
    2. NO MORE FRONT SHIFTER TO BANG INTO THE TREES!
    3. Chain retention? Though that may be down to the clutch mech.
    4. ???
    5. PROFIT!!!

Don’t need a 40T round where I live. I don’t even use the 28T on my 40-28 and 11-36 2×10 setup, let alone the 36T on the back!

Life will be hard if I get unfit though. So that’s a gauge/motivator for my fitness level to be maintained/improved!

dunmail
    Free Member

Is 1×10 (or 1×11) really just this year’s fashion? There have been threads on here about it for two or three years at least.

I’ve a 1×10 setup, 30T on the front and 11-40 on the back. I’ll spend 95%+ of my time in a gear that isn’t one of those two extremes but having them is useful though by the time I engage the 40T I’m close to getting off and pushing. This is for Lakes riding so you do have the range with 1×10 even with steep stuff on your rides. By the time I’m engaging the 11T I’m going at a speed where I might as well be freewheeling so that’s just about right.

To the OP:

Simplicity – even with a dropper seatpost control there’s very little clutter on the handlebars.
    Lots of chainring clearance

Downsides – you do think “Why have I got a dinner plate strapped to my rear wheel?”!
    Explaining to everyone that you’ll be just fine on the uphills. 🙂

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘10 speed with a single ring, tell me why it's worth….’ is closed to new replies.