Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • 10 speed shimano road/mtb compatibility
  • wynne
    Free Member

I know this was discussed a while back but I can’t find it.

I’m building up a touring bike for my wife. We’re off round Europe for a month next year. The plan is to run a compact double chainset with a massive cassette on the back. I know regular shimano 10s road shifters are not compatible with dynasys rear mechs because the actuation ratio is different, but is the spacing on road and dynasys cassettes the same? In a nutshell can we use 10s road shifters and mechs with a dynasys cassette?

Thanks

Rich

druidh
    Free Member

10 speed road shifters and front mech, 10 speed MTB cassette and a 9 speed MTB rear mech works. Watch your cage length as you’ll need a long one to give the full range of gears with a triple and an 11-34

njee20
    Free Member

What he said… 9 speed shadow mech will manage an 11-36 alright, with a compact a medium may be ok. Cassettes are interchangeable though yes!

cp

I’m under the impression 105 5600 and ultegra 6600 10 speed shifters will work with 9 speed rear mechs as the cable pull is the same, though I believe 5700 and 6700 10 speed shifters use a slightly different cable pull and will only work with 5700 and 6700 rear mechs.

njee20
    Free Member

Nope, front mech changed, rear didn’t.

druidh
    Free Member

Yep – 6700 STI and XT rear mech is working for me.

wynne
    Free Member

Thanks for that all – what I thought.
    Shame they can’t just make it simple, eh?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘10 speed shimano road/mtb compatibility’ is closed to new replies.