Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • 10 speed Dyna Sys noise.
  • redted
    Free Member

Anybody else running it and find it noisy?
    It sounds especially bad on my bike on the 3 biggest sprockets which are attached to the alloy spider on the cassette and is especially bad under pressure.
    It makes a noise as if the front mech’s rubbing (it isn’t) or the D adjust is not set correctly and the top jockey wheel’s rubbing on the sprocket (it isn’t). It’s almost as if you can hear every roller making contact with the cassette.
    Chainline is within the recommended tolerances and it is a full XT system including chain which has plenty of length in it too.
    The frame has a carbon back end so I don’t know if that is amplifying the sound, but it bugs the hell out of me?
    Anyone else?

Mister-P
    Free Member

Is the chain on the right way round?

redted
    Free Member

Yes.

Alb
    Free Member

You running it with a 11-36T cassette? The last few 10sp shadow rear mechs I’ve setup with 36T cassettes were extremely sensitive to B-Tension adjustments.

coatesy
    Free Member

I’ve noticed this too, put it down to a wide chainline that you can’t really do anything about.Seems to come from the chain joining/leaving the chainring(to my ears at least).

redted
    Free Member

Yes I’m running 11-36 Alb?
    Is there an ideal position I need to aim for or is every case different and I just suck it and see? Do you manage to set it in the stand or is it a case of riding a bit, check it and repeat as necessary?
    I’m grateful for your help on this cause without sounding a bit precious, it’s spoiling my rides!

igm

I think Shimano actually mention drivetrain noise in their literature – they say there might be some don’t worry about it. Could be wrong.

redted
    Free Member

Oh Lordy, I hope so! 😆

Alb
    Free Member

Yep, you should be able to tweak it in the workstand. It was proper fine tuning (1/2 turns) but it should help with the noise.

billyboy
    Free Member

Welcome to the voluntary, unpaid and largest division of the Shimano R and D department

cynic-al
    Free Member

LOLs at billyboy – TBF many others are worse than shimano at this.

sambob
    Free Member

Just got my groupset, but snapped my slx chain a put a sram chain on and it’s silent. Was very noisy with the standard shimano chain.

contrakid
    Free Member

Anybody else running it and find it noisy?
    It sounds especially bad on my bike on the 3 biggest sprockets which are attached to the alloy spider on the cassette and is especially bad under pressure.
    It makes a noise as if the front mech’s rubbing (it isn’t) or the D adjust is not set correctly and the top jockey wheel’s rubbing on the sprocket (it isn’t). It’s almost as if you can hear every roller making contact with the cassette.
    Chainline is within the recommended tolerances and it is a full XT system including chain which has plenty of length in it too.
    The frame has a carbon back end so I don’t know if that is amplifying the sound, but it bugs the hell out of me?
    Anyone else?

Yes me, this is exactly what i am getting and its doing my head in on rides. I cannot work out what it is. But it sounds just like what you said or the chain not going down on the chain rings teeth square because of cross chaining or something. But its just so loud. I have read some people have changed chain an all is silent now. Thinking about trying this with maybe a a KMC X10.

Its much worst when the bike goes through muddy puddle and trails etc.

Have you managed to find a cure yet?

blahblahblah
    Free Member

10 speed SLX group here and yes, significant noise, especially in the lowest 3 cassette sprockets. I have found a wet chain lube and tuning of the B-tension can help attenuate the noise but you can’t remove it. Predicting that once my chain stretches a bit it will get quieter???

In the mean time I will just rely on my heavy breathing and grunting, as I kill my self on rides, to cover any excess noise up!

TheDoctor
    Free Member

Have you checked to see if your rear dropouts are actually parallel and the rear triangle is aligned properly. the newer 10sp stuff is more sensitive to crap build quality and poor alignment!

contrakid
    Free Member

No but I have noticed that when i take off the none drive side crank arm it has a lot of wear on the inside of the crank arm, around the hole for the crank shaft spline but just on one side! like the BB is not in straight to frame or maybe that part of the arm just stick out more than other side!

BTW its a 2011 Cube GTC Team with full XT crank, HG74 Chain and CS-HG81 11-36T Cassette.

Checked B-tension last night and top jockey wheel was a long way from large cassette ring. Have adjusted to around 5-6mm and now i can actually pedal backwards without chain coming off! Not had time to get out and test noise under load since but don’t think its going to make any real difference there.

Chain line seems to be correct, about 50mm but looks like there is a hell of an angle when in front middle ring and rear large ring and obviously even more when in largest front ring.

Chain line looks almost straight when in front middle and rear small 11T

perthmtb
    Free Member

Longshot – but have you checked the chain is threaded round the rear derrailleur cage correctly.

I cleaned my chain a couple of weeks back between consecutive day races, threaded it wrong side of the small flat plate in middle of RD cage. Everything worked fine, but it made a sound like it was rubbing FD cage – looked everywhere – even did a 60k race with it like that the next day – didn’t find out until I cleaned it again the day after 😳

Luckily no harm done – except to my mechanical reputation amongst riding buddies!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

same here xt 10 speed – i actually started a thread about this a while back….

it has been ALOT better since i doused the chain in lube almost everyride, as some mentions above its mega mega mega noisy, after grit/wet puddles etc….

though just lately its actually been quite quiet, i dont get catching in the top 3 at all, i get a slight catching on smallest sprocket on the back in middle or outer ring….fine tuned and hasnt helped!

guess it could well be the chains then (xt here)……

doug_basqueMTB.com

I’m 10-speed XT and not getting any noise. Using an XT cassette and chain too although I’ve used a SRAM cassette and chain previously and not getting anything.

I’m getting a little noise like a loose spoke every now and then but I have a suspicion that’s due to the way the cassette has eaten into my Pro2 hub.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

blahblahblah – Member

10 speed SLX group here and yes, significant noise, especially in the lowest 3 cassette sprockets. I have found a wet chain lube and tuning of the B-tension can help attenuate the noise but you can’t remove it. Predicting that once my chain stretches a bit it will get quieter???

In the mean time I will just rely on my heavy breathing and grunting, as I kill my self on rides, to cover any excess noise up!

just read this – basically sounds the same as this – and yes it has definitely quitened down in the 2 months ive had it, lube and alot of it on the chain definitely helps!

cardo

+1 perthmtb re:routing the chain around the RD

I’ve done this and riden along side people who have done the same..it is very easy to do especially when the bike is upside down when putting the chain on… FWIW I am running 10 speed SLX cassette but with a KMC chain and it’s fine.

contrakid
    Free Member

LOL, when i was trying to fix problem i did take the chain off just so i could listen to the crank turn without chain and when i put chain back on i did thread it wrong around rear derailleur but noticed straight away and just put it right by taking derailleur cage off one side and pushing chain back round. But yes that does it did make same sort of sound.

PS. when chain was off it was silent! lol.

Bike is only 8 wks old so its going to go back in for first free service soon, I was not planning on doing this as i do all work myself but going to see if they can spot whats wrong with it while there.

If no different when i get it back i’m going to try changing to a KMC SL 10 i think and lots of wet lube.

Everyone out on my ride wednesday night said it really didn’t sound right at all.

It really is making my rides not very much fun in this weather, good weather and all is ok just the occasional creak from crank / chain.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ohhhh 1 other thing i just remebered as well! i degreased the chain really really well, make sure you do the same..

i ran it for a few rides with the shimano grease/oil and it made the most horrrrendous noise, i added more of my own lube and it was marginally better…..

i then remembered my lube advised me to degrease the chain before applying there lube!

this is where it changed, mine was ALOT LOT quieter after this procedure….

in fact it is pretty quiet these days until mud/puddles etc so it definitely is worth fully degreasing the chain if it was a shimano one!

contrakid
    Free Member

Yes chain was pretty clean because i had degreased it not long ago plus had wet lube on but not loads.

I have had the bike only 9 weeks keep very clean with jet wash being careful not to get jet wash near bearing and use on softest setting.

Cheers for all info guys

digitaldictator
    Free Member

My DynaSys drive train was driving me batty with the chain noise since I assembled the bike 9 months ago…. I tried all the suggestions found here and elsewhere and the only thing that finally helped was swapping the chain.. put on a KMC last night and not a peep!

neninja
    Free Member

My 2×10 set up is exactly the same noise wise. It’s quiet if totally clean but one puddle and it sounds like a bag of spanners.

Same as above it sounds like the chain is rubbing on the front mech but it’s actually set up sweetly. I’ll live with it for now and try a KMC X10 in the future.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

I had a bit of noise but only when shifting into the 34 or 36 but once in the gear its quiet, B tension improved it a bit. Using a KMC chain.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘10 speed Dyna Sys noise.’ is closed to new replies.