Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • 10 Speed Double Chainset
  • flippinheckler
    Free Member

Anybody run a Ten speed double chainset with bashguard as I am toying with the idea of changing my SLX double to give me more a bit more ratio especially in the higher gearing as the current big ring on my double limits my top end, also I hear your more able to stay on the outer ring on seep climbs due to the extra increments you get with a ten speed. I figure I can then run bigger chainrings on the front.

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve been running a 10 speed double all season (no bashguard), and had run a double on a 9 speed set up for the last 3 years.

I think it’s perfect, I’ve played with various ratios, but liked 40/28 with 9 speed and now have 42/28 with 10 speed, find I stay in the big ring 90% of the time, and just drop for the steep stuff. To that end I’m probably going to try a single ring next season.

I think the 11-36 cassettes really do facilitate the use of a double for most riders without any real loss of gears, reckon the SRAM 39/26 would be spot on for most ‘trail’ bikes.

nickc

To that end I’m probably going to try a single ring next season.

what size out of interest njee? racing or just general riding?

njee20
    Free Member

Well it’ll be my only MTB, so general riding as well. In fact I use lower gears when racing than general riding, being knackered after 2 hours flat out!

Between 34 and 36 I reckon, can’t really decide! There are some courses when I’d want lower than 1:1, but I reckon I’d just fit a double and a front mech/LH shifter for those! Probably go 36.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘10 Speed Double Chainset’ is closed to new replies.