Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 10 Speed Cassette – XT or PG1050/70?
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

does anybody have any experience of the new 10 speed sram cassettes? i like the look of the pg1050 cassette though can only find it in 12-36 instead of 11-36 not really a problem assume it will still fit ok…

have xt at the moment, its been ok but not super smooth with either a xt chain or xtr chain….

i know alot of 2×10 spesh stuff and whyte etc come with the pg1050 cassette, so just wondered of any experience…it looks very hollow and looks like it would clear mud/grime quicker than the xt too

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

anybody any thoughts please? just hovering over which to buy, sway me to stay with xt or try the sram ones…also liked the pg990 when i had 9 speed….just want to know how the 10 speed sram stuff is holding up

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

bump for any afternoon crowd

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve a 1050, can’t comment on anything beyong it has 10 gears and they all work. I only use it in the dry and too unfit to notice the lack of an 11t.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers tinas!

guessing the 12t instead of 11t just means its a little easier to pedal on than 11t version? guessing it would fit just fine?

ruscle
    Free Member

They will all fit on your free hub, the only different size I believe is when you get to 7/8 speed.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

well, thinking about it……

32/11 = 2.909
    35/11 = 2.916

32 to 35t would proably be a noticable difference, but I don’t spin out at the moment so don’t really care, generaly if I’m in the top 3 gears I’m probably decending which probably means pedaling for ajust a few revolutions then corner/pump/whatever.

mattjg
    Free Member

I have a 1070 since October, works. My setup is all SRAM/Truvativ, shifting is spot on. Can’t compare to Shimano as haven’t used the equivalent 10 speed.

My 1070 chain though went to 1% stretch double quick (it felt), I have another and am monitoring it closely.

Jehosophat
    Free Member

I don’t know about 10 speed (I’m always way behind here – running two 8 speed and one 9 speed bike currently!) but in the 9 speed world the XT equivalent in terms of price/weight is PG990 – 970 and 950 are much cheaper/heavier. Check the 1050 / 1070 weights vs XT – if you care about that sort of thing. I changed from XTRM950 8 speed 12-32 cassettes to 11-34 PG990 on the one bike that has actually got as far as 9 speed and the 990 weights over 300g (about the same as 9 speed XT) which was 75g more than the old 8 speed XTR one…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘10 Speed Cassette – XT or PG1050/70?’ is closed to new replies.