Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 10 speed and rapid rise rear mechs
  • mucker

Is the end high for my rapid rise love affair, if/when I convert to 10 speed?

midlifecrashes

Keep your mech, use roadie 10 speed flat bar shifters. Job Jobbed.

qtip

Pretty sure that won’t work. Different actuation ratio for Shimano 10 speed road and MTB groups.

ianfitz
    Free Member

if the mech is mtb 9 speed it will work with road 10 speed shifters

midlifecrashes

And rapid rise is a purely Shimano MTB 9 speed phenomenon so it will work fine, just like loads of tourers use 10 speed STI with a 9 speed MTB rear mech and 10 speed cassette.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-tiagra-4600-double-10sp-flatbar-shifter/rp-prod69502

The right hand shifter here will do the job. You can keep whatever setup you have for the front mech and shifter.

mucker

I was actually wondering if it would have the range, big to small cog, so why not a 10 speed MTB shifter?

midlifecrashes

A 10 speed cassette is more or less the same width as 9 speed, but with less space between the cogs. When Shimano changed MTB from 9 to 10, they changed how much cable gets pulled to move from one cog to the next. When they changed roadie 9 to 10 they just made stuff thinner and pulled a bit less cable, making the mech move over a bit less, but by the same amount per mm of cable pulled.

mucker

Ok, brilliant, I take it there are no 10 speed rapid rise mechs?

asbrooks

Take a look at this page
    Drivetrain compatibility
    It may give you the answer you need. Or may not 😕
    It’s a good read either way..

scaredypants

I use a 10sp ultegra flat bar shifter with a 9sp mech. Works fine IME, though I’m sure somebody has said in the past that there are small differences between road and mtb cable pull.

Stu_N

Nope, Rapid Rise is defunct. 9 speed derallieurs are very difficult to come across and hasn’t even been made in 10 speed as far as I know. I’m told new stuff is much smoother shifting so benefits of RR (mainly “on the power” downshifts) are less problematic.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘10 speed and rapid rise rear mechs’ is closed to new replies.