Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • 10 More in Moray
  • devs
    Free Member

Who is coming? Got a better course this year with some nice technical interest. Weather looking ok too.

Smee
    Free Member

What changes are there on the course? I was looking forward to the 9.5mile climb followed by half a mile of mud.

devs
    Free Member

The half mile of mud has been replaced by some boardwalk, wet rooty bits and a very exposed turn on the Gulley monster trail. Probably.

Smee
    Free Member

Sounds good to me.

devs
    Free Member

No one else on here coming then?

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Yup. I'll be in pairs.

devs
    Free Member

You the Dunridin' pair then? Bring insect repellent. Put the signs out last night and there are vicious flying teeth about the place. Had some rain today but nowt compared to the severe weather they are getting south and west. Tomorrow and Sat look ok but I think it might pish down sat night. Can't decide between XC Pros and Crossmarks. How ghey do i sound? 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

me n the missus are ABCCC "hare and tortoise"

whosthedaddy
    Free Member

Yeah, I'm heading up that way in the pairs.

I hope the course is more technical than last years fire road climb every couple of minutes, I was pretty disapointed with it last year. Really could have ridden on a rigid for all there was in the way of decent singletrack.

cullen-bay
    Free Member

yep im coming, a whole team havent entered yet, were entering tomorrow night…. look out for squarewheels youth team…. i dont know what bike to take, trail bike or xc race bike, probably end up taking the xc race bike tbh… hopefully my new tyres will have arrived by then.

devs
    Free Member

I hope the course is more technical than last years fire road climb every couple of minutes, I was pretty disapointed with it last year. Really could have ridden on a rigid for all there was in the way of decent singletrack.

You're gonna be disappointed then. It's better but mostly the same. I would like to run the race in a different location with lots of technical ups and downs but it would require too many marshalls to make it viable. Shame. Maybe you could wear an eyepatch or something to make it more challenging?

whosthedaddy
    Free Member

Or a bit of imagination on the course design.

There seemed plenty of scope last year to make it more intresting at various points which would have done away with the eye patch this year.

devs
    Free Member

I probably ride those trails more than you and I quite like them and the way they are presented in the course for 10MiM. Sorry if you don't like them, you don't have to come after all. Perhaps SITS or MM or even BBB may be more your thing. I don't think there really is a much better way to route the course to improve technicality on that site and maintain safety. A race down the Gulley Monster would be like jeyboy lemmings. Still I'll put your concerns to the organisers on Sunday morning when I'm helping tidy up after you. Or perhaps you could come find me and I'll put you in touch with the organisers. I'm sure they'll consider your well worked out solution for next year. I'm easy to spot, I look like a second row forward that has stolen a mountain bike and can't ride is very well.

whosthedaddy
    Free Member

Touchy aren't you, that was my own comment on the course, probably the weakest one out of all the 10 under series.

And big man, I didn't realize the entry fee, camping fee and the fact that I have to travel six hours to the event (which in itself is a good one) excluded me from having an opinion on the course.

devs
    Free Member

Not touchy at all. I just mostly disagree with you. I would like a more technical course but the logistics of running one, particularly in this area, prohibit it. It's a shame bacause 10 miles west on the driest dustiest trails in GB, I have a course planned that would be a walk fest for most jeyboys but then they wouldn't come would they. Just in case you think that whinging online here to me will get your opinion noted I should say that I have nothing to do with nofuss or the organisation of the event. I'm just a local who volunteered to set up, marshall and tidy up for the event. But as I said, come find me and I'll get the organisers to listen to your opinion and plans to improve things where you have spotted the "scope". Puzzled why you come though.

whosthedaddy
    Free Member

Like I said, one persons opinion, not a whinge.

🙂

Oh, because I though the course was disapointing last year, I'm still comming this year,going to enjoy the atmosphere of the event and probably get drunk as I did last year on the saturday night

I'll make sure I use the bins big man 😉

devs
    Free Member

Now we're talking. I do beer me 🙂

Smee
    Free Member

I love the Moray course as it plays to my strengths. Still haven't quite figured out how a 10 mile course can be 99% uphill though. 😀

devs
    Free Member

There's a couple of extra big jumps on the "downhill" this year to make it 99.5% uphill 🙂

Alek
    Free Member

I'm in 8)

Solo Squarewheeler………..Moray virgin!

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Goan – Member

I love the Moray course as it plays to my strengths

Would that be eating dust? 😉

If it's any consolation, team Dunracin' missed third place by 9 seconds!

Cracking race and an excellent circuit – thanks to No Fuss and Moray MBC guys.

devs
    Free Member

We even arranged some dust for you! Nursing a hangover just now. It was the best one yet I think but I'm sick of that hill. It will be a while before I do the trails again!

trail_rat
    Free Member

did more miles on the unicycle than i did on my mtb i think

Missus TR Koed and concussed her self on one of the backwards jumps on the course. race over after a trip down the hill in the medic wagon

Course definantly improved on over the last years mudfest climb

devs
    Free Member

Nae luck trail_rat. Hope she's ok. Is she the one that jumped straight back on her bike and rode for a short while before realising she wasn't very well? Had some beers with the medics last night and heard them recalling some of the stories of the day.

trail_rat
    Free Member

yep thats her ….

split her helmet right through front to back.

didnt know where she was apparently lol

Smee
    Free Member

Cracking event and the course was much better than last year. Some cracking racing going on too. Stuartie_C just had too much for me on the last lap though.

jojoA1
    Free Member

Chilled and sociable racing again. I love the mix of people who do this race. Probably encouraged by the 'tamer' trails here. Perfect to get newer riders into racing and riding more. 🙂

Wish I hadn't forgotten my glasses on the last couple of laps, I have the remains of midges emerging from behind my eyeballs this morning. YUK.

Alek
    Free Member

Hard day at the office for sure 🙂

Really enjoyed my first experience of Moray.
    Brutal climbing, some fun swoopy sections, natural sections and a rattling rooty descent which removed every filling in my teeth 😆

After 11 laps solo I'm hoping the next time I ride that course is next year 😉

Well done nofuss, another excellent event. And top marks to the (few) marshalls who were in good spirits the whole day and without them…..no race!

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

DeVs – Member
    I would like a more technical course but the logistics of running one, particularly in this area, prohibit it. It's a shame bacause 10 miles west on the driest dustiest trails in GB,

I'm intrigued, where are you talking about, theres nothing like that around here. ;o)

jojoA1
    Free Member

They're secret Local Trails, for Local People! Though, if they're dusty today, I'll eat Devs' shorts.

devs
    Free Member

From dusty to crusty in one go! 😀 I do believe them trails may actually be slightly damp today but I don't have the slightest inclination to go find out.

cullen-bay
    Free Member

just back, was a good event, pity there weren't more teams entered, would've been nice to have had a few more competetors. was fun to get on the top step of the podium (squarewheels youth team), next year we're splitting into pairs though.

kcal

eugh. what a thought. hello there podium partner 🙂

I think there's several issues here.
    The Moray trails (bar the Gully Monster) aren't, and are not intended as, the most technical of man-made trails – they are introductory, or all user trails – and I think that influences (it has to) how they are used by No Fuss – it's a more chilled and relaxed event, an event for everyone.

No, there weren't that many marshalls, but I hope there were enough. A few more I suppose would have gee'd everyone along a bit.

The problem is finding trails that, in the main, are man-made and are fit for an enduro event – the mud climb last year was an attempt to use a path as opposed to a trail and look what happened. What are the options? Not cost-effective to build a proper trail for one event, a newly cut trail could cut up pretty bad very quickly.

Sure, No Fuss have a good relationship with the guys here in Moray, and that influences where the event is held. Similarly with Kiroughtree.

It's worth putting comments in the feedback channels, but realistically not sure what the other options might be: hold in different trails in Moray (awkward), hold in different location (where), or hold in your local neck of the woods daddy (in which case you'll get some of the responsibility and satisfaction that goes with that.

cullen-bay
    Free Member

the course was good for an enduro, where people need to be able to pass freely, having 1 foot wide steep singletrack all the way would be a disaster, rightly, make it more technical in places, that would be nice, but realistically i saw people pushing through the last downhill before the red bull arch. whats the point in making it harder to satisfy few, and alienate the people who only ever cycle now and again?

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

I liked the course – I thought there was a good mix of trails with the rooty, natural stuff the obvious highlight. I didn't get into the granny ring once so maybe a nice steep tricky climb somewhere would have been good. But you can only go with what you've got and other venues locally which would probably offer a more 'technical' course can't be used for logistical reasons.

I was Stuartie's partner in 'dunracin'….dunno where we lost that elusive 9 seconds though! Need to slick up those handovers 😆

Smee
    Free Member

S_F – Stuartie was too busy looking behind him, probably wondering where the hell i'd got to. 😉

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

It was his fault then! Cheers, that's my conscience cleared 8)

Smee
    Free Member

S_F – I was gutted when you came in before my team mate as I knew I'd need a good lead on Stuartie. I could see him most of the way up until the long fireroad climb, but then my legs fell off.

Any idea how far ahead of us you finished?

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

No I don't but it was pretty close if I remember correctly. I don't think there was much separating the teams that finished from third to seventh or eight throughout the day – the second place team (kiwis I think?) did an extra lap while the winners (nevis cycles?) were in a whole different league!

whosthedaddy
    Free Member

OK OK I'm a baw bag for thinking this years would probably follow last years,

Overall I enjoyed it. the rooty sections are best hit at 100% for max effect and big smiles. The table tops, I forgot how match distance you get when you try LOL!!!

Funnist bit was at the first lap when I was behind the lad from square wheels screaming at another chap totally cutting him (and me) up before a downhill section, then refusing to let him and myself by, you had to be there 😆 😆

Good day, good course, hope we never left to much mess

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘10 More in Moray’ is closed to new replies.