Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • 10 Mile TT's
  • nick3216
    Free Member

IMO it’s far more aero to stay on the hoods and drop your elbows, or rest your forearms on the tops, however both are less comfy/controllable than the drops.

Glad you said IMO

OP – do a proper TT and aim for better than 24 minutes at most. Under 20 is good.

njee20
    Free Member

I did, but actually its not IMO, thats fact.

You presumably think the drops is more aero? Even though your back is no lower and you’ve got your arms flailing about opening out your shoulders, rather than tuckig them neatly into your silhouette?

By rising on the tops you replicate as closely as possible the position of a TT bike. When folk are fitting drops for TTs I’ll accept that’s more aero!

And under 20 is more than ‘good’. That would win you virtually all club events and plenty of opens! Of course you can do 18s on any course 🙄

paul4stones

Derwentside club do a 10mile TT on a tuesday from Carterway Heads on the A68. It’s not flat, 27 mins would be a good time.

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

i’ve often wondered if you’re better off running your arms along top at the same line as your bars or tucking in further – i sometimes hold on to the hoods with my pinkies and rest my arms inside the bars.. that probably decreases my lung space a bit, but how is if from an aero point of view? better cos you’re narrower at the front or worse cos there’s more bits (the bars) involved in hitting air?

kind of a half arsed tt bar arrangement.

njee20
    Free Member

Your bars are there regardless, so there’s nothing you can do about them. The smaller you can make your frontal area the more aero you are. So bringing your arms inside your torso is more aero, just as you say, youre replicating the position TT bars would offer you. The only reason adding clip ons makes you quicker is that you’ve got something physical to hold onto in that position.

rootes1

http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/article/aerodynamics-made-easy-30981/

obviously these positions were banned..

http://www.wolfgang-menn.de/superpos.htm

aero is key:

travelled 56miles in one hour..

whereas using ‘normal’ bikes helmet etc boardman and friends where doing 30miles in an hour

aero is king!

rootes1

think also helps if you are better able to get into a good position..

yoga!

stufield
    Free Member

local tt club record is 17.58! was set by bradley wiggins. I think we have the fastest course in the uk. http://www.kentvalley.co.uk/?page_id=337#d12ee but that might not be the case anymore?

njee20
    Free Member

Excellent photo that second one!

I’m disappointed that iDavd etc hasn’t come back to explain why the drops are more aero. Why aren’t they on the base bars?!

rusty90
    Free Member

In 2010 Micheal Hutchinson bettered him by 1 second on the V718 in Yorkshire

cp

I’m disappointed that iDavd etc hasn’t come back to explain why the drops are more aero. Why aren’t they on the base bars?!

+1 🙂

rootes linked photo is good, but the purple line makes out that the LH position is worse than it actually is (the purple line goes from hip to back of kneck, whereas the green line is hip to mid-kneck). The rider on the left also appears to have longer upper arms, so could possibly benefit from lower bars.

Then you get into leg power/hip angle vs. aero position and it’s not at all clear cut as to what the ideal position is for everyone!

warton
    Free Member

Derwentside club do a 10mile TT on a tuesday from Carterway Heads on the A68. It’s not flat, 27 mins would be a good time.

Thats an understatement! I’ve always been scared of that TT, it looks like 30 mins of unbelievable hurt!!!

lazybike
    Free Member

Then you get into leg power/hip angle vs. aero position and it’s not at all clear cut as to what the ideal position is for everyone!

it is if you spend time in the wind tunnel, thats the problem/attraction with testing, it makes you OCD…

njee20
    Free Member

There was an article on BikeRadar about that, and how the most aero isn’t the fastest necessarily, if you can’t get the power down.

I thought it was Wiggo and F Schleck at first, but not so sure! Either way, Sky man has higher aero bars which is interesting. Closer to the ‘praying mantis’ position.

rootes1

I thought it was Wiggo and F Schleck at first, but not so sure! Either way, Sky man has higher aero bars which is interesting. Closer to the ‘praying mantis’ position.

Picture mashup from here:

http://provelopassion.wordpress.com/2012/03/04/great-time-trialing-from-better-aerodynamics-or-yoga/

def wiggo – compared with Andy Schleck – paris-nice

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Just done my first 10 of the season, what a fooking wake up call, think I left my legs behind at the turn. Thought I had a lot more left in the tank. It was bloody hard, felt sick, my legs and lungs were screaming and now got a grim “racers cough” But on reflection I bloody loved it and the first one is out of the way.

nick3216
    Free Member

You presumably think the drops is more aero

No, I think the drops is less comfy.

It’s possible to get a flatter back and more aero position on the hoods, and, IMO, the hoods are more comfy

flap_jack
    Free Member

Don’t forget, always wear a peak on your helmet. Was it Barrie Clark or Nick Craig who would turn up at TTs in their MTB kit and leather all the stiffbacks with their aero kit…

crazy-legs

It’s possible to get a flatter back and more aero position on the hoods, and, IMO, the hoods are more comfy

Drops are for control when descending or sprinting.
    If you’re on a normal (ie non-TT) bike in a long solo breakaway, the best place as njee20 and nick both say, is on the hoods, elbows tucked in.
    Some track bars are actually set up to facilitate this position and if you watch a trackie lapping the bunch, he’ll be in a weird kind of hybrid drop/TT position, hands on where the hoods would be on a road bike, elbows tucked right in.

paul4stones

I’ve always been scared of that TT, it looks like 30 mins of unbelievable hurt!!!

You’d be fine. I did it in 30.30 That was my first and only TT, on a ‘cross bike and without removing bottle cage, etc 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘10 Mile TT's’ is closed to new replies.