Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • 10 bags o' sand, where to put em?
  • thestabiliser
    Free Member

Took voluntary redundancy recently, had a job lined up too (heh) and did rather nicely out of it. Question is what to do with the (majority) bit of it I want to save. While an S works epic is sorely tempting can’t see the gaffer going for it. ISAs look a bit crap but safe. Not enough to make a worthwhile shares investment? Dunno. Hence the question. What do you reckon STW?

fd3chris
    Free Member

Classic car. American obviously.

nickjb
    Free Member

Stocks and shares isa is the boring (mostly) safe option. Fundsmith is easy, 28% last year*. Not bad return and worthwhile on 10k

*past performance is no guarantee of future performance and all that

timber

Porsche 911, they all head into the stratosphere eventually, a £10k one will be at the bottom currently. 996 or 997 variants.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Definitely NOT a car (unless you count the 2.5ks worth of knackered focus I’ve bought already). Would it be worth splitting equally in to a big Fanny’s cowards ISA and 5k in a shares one, or would the meagre returns get swallowed up by charges and stuff?

nickjb
    Free Member

5k in the cash isa will do about as well as 5k under your mattress other than being a bit safer from being spent. The cash isa returns are rubbish at the moment. I’d stick the lot into shares (isa). With a diverse fund from one of the big players it should be very safe. Obviously the world’s a bit messed up right now so anything could happen but really if the sorts of things the funds invest in start crashing your 10k will be the least of your worries. Shouldn’t be very much in fees at all if you go with a good investment company then don’t mess about it. You aren’t going to be buying and selling like on the tele

weeksy

2 ducati 999s. They’ll go up 15% next year.

timber

Maybe not a car with that track record then 😉
    Stocks and shares ISA outperforming other regular savings for me.

oliverracing

I’d be tempted with a car, but you have to buy wisely, be prepared to get your hands dirty, and actually like cars for it to work!

I know someone that bought a Jensen Interceptor 13 years ago for about £6k, spent about £30k over the years on it, he was offered £80k for it last week and he turned the offer down! (it’s not for sale)

skink2020

My boat needs two or three bags of sand up the front to keep the bow down whilst trolling Loch Lomond.
    I’m sure 5 or 6 bags or cash will do a similar job.

bigmandh
    Free Member

If you have garage storage the right car won’t lose anything on it and perhaps get you a return. I’ve just bought a Renault Clio trophy. More fun than the money in the bank and should make a return on it. Focus RS MK1 or BMW z4m coupe could be decent acquasions though the BMW about £18k. Depends what you’re into car wise, or if you are at all. Good to invest in something you can enjoy as well.

CheesybeanZ

New patio .

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Ffs.

C&H.

edhornby

Hargreaves and Lansdown are a safe pair of hands with decent returns also

poolman
    Free Member

I am buying a commercial property trust fcpt they pay 4.4% pa but monthly.
    Not expecting any capital gains just somewhere to park some cash. Questor rated it last month.

jimdubleyou

Whack it in Premium Bonds, this time next year you could be a millionaire!

burko73

Or you could win £25!

stevestunts
    Free Member

^^ I won £25 a couple of weeks back on Premium Bonds.

I used to resent the fact that the only birthday and Christmas presents my Grandad used to buy me were Premium Bonds, but I’ve had a fair few wins over the years and, with the exception of this recent win, they have always come at the exact moment I actually *needed* the cash. Nice one, Grandad.

To answer the OP’s original question, you should probably open an account with the Cumberland and then withdraw five pounds every few days, over a number of months, until it’s all gone.

mav12
    Free Member

Tesco current account giving 3% at the moment max 3k but you can have 2

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Not enough to make a worthwhile shares investment? Dunno. Hence the question. What do you reckon STW?

It certainly is!
    Open a Stocks & Shares ISA with the likes of Hargreaves Lansdowne, choose 4 or 5 diverse funds and forget about it. Fundsmith ain’t a bad choice for starters.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Aaaah, fivespots. Thanks for my really shit year out.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘10 bags o' sand, where to put em?’ is closed to new replies.