Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 1 x 9 with singlespeed ring. Good or bad?
  • nedrapier

Surly Singlespeed 48T ring. 11 – 32 cassette. For road, in case you’re about to call me a mentalist.

Any reason why this wouldn’t work?

Would the long teeth on the front ring cause any meshing & de-meshing issues in the highest & lowest gears? Increased wear to the side of the teeth? Noise? Any of these likely to be problematic, or just slightly less than ideal?

I’m guessing I’d need a long cage mech, or would medium do? I’ve got a mech in the parts bin, but I’m not sure which cage it has.

And how quickly will I decide I need a chain device?

Thank you!

Stuey01
    Free Member

For road I seriously doubt that you will need a chain device, of any kind.
    Med cage mech would be fine. Maybe even a short.

xiphon
    Free Member

Personally, I would have a front mech or guide – provided it could be set up with zero chain rub.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Singlespeed chainring will be fine.

tf
    Free Member

A short cage mech should be enough for a 21 tooth difference (32-11); SRAM long cage mechs handle up to 45T difference, and medium 37T (you never need a long cage for anything, it is designed to allow you to use all nine cogs on the cassette with all 3 chain rings, which is both pointless and inefficient).

Keva
    Free Member

just don’t stop pedaling, then the chain can’t come off.

Kev

brassneck

What chain are you thinking of using? Looking at my Surly I’m not sure a 9 speed would fit on the huge spikes.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Run a 36T s/s ring 11/28 cassette on a mtb 1×9, short cage mech, no guide – no chain problems on Surrey singletrack 🙂

nedrapier

Ace. Cheers all.

tf, thanks for the numbers. Numbers always make me feel more comfortable!

hilldodger, re brassnecks question, have you had any issues with chains?

There’s some stuff on charlie the bikemonger’s site about it not really being worth going for 1/8″ chains for SS, so I’m guessing 3/32″ will fit.

Actually, as chains are all the same pitch anyway, if the teeth aren’t too long for a ss chain, they won’t be too long for anything else. ?

DT78
    Free Member

I’m using 40t 11/34 on my commuter with a normal (long?) cage LX mech. No chain device, been fine for over a years worth of road riding, and the occasional fireroad/singletrack in the new forest…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘1 x 9 with singlespeed ring. Good or bad?’ is closed to new replies.