• This topic has 65 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by GW.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • 1 x 9 pic
  • rOcKeTdOg

after various questions by me about what chainrings and which retention to use have settled on this for now, seems to work without a bash guard (been over rough stuff and had a couple of stacks and chain stayed on)
    [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/rocketdog/5063008616/]Renthal + N-Stop[/url] by rOcKeTdOgUk, on Flickr

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/rocketdog/5063009870/]Pegasus 1 x 9[/url] by rOcKeTdOgUk, on Flickr

bonesetter
    Free Member

Rear cage too long, and chain a bit long – then you wouldn’t need that drop device…

rOcKeTdOg

rear ??cage, presume you mean rear mech one i already have and works perfectly with 12-36T, chain is a link shorter that the 32×11-34 on the Swift and works fine, probably don’t need the N-Stop though, you’re right

Wookster

like it mate looks purposeful!!

Andy

bonesetter – Member
    Rear cage too long, and chain a bit long – then you wouldn’t need that drop device…

And the dogs chain would wear considerably quicker. Looks fine to me.

dobo
    Free Member

i’ve done the whole 1×9 thing and my experience is that if setup nicely then you dont need any front chain device on the road and gentle terrain but if you are bashing off a lot of stuff like you do in mtb then you need some kind of cage, i used a non ramped ring and medium cage xtr mech with a modified rhollof cage and was perfect, i have a 1×9 mrp now

AlexSimon

Why did you feel the need to censor the name of the cranks?

audiophile
    Free Member

Another vote for the mrp device, works great and looks the nuts. Have you forsaken front mechs for ever more? I’m never using one again.

_tom_
    Free Member

Looks good, think I’m going back to 1×9 when I eventually get a guide. No need for a granny ring where I generally ride!

Skoolshoes
    Free Member
    Andy

Skoolshoes thats ace!

DaveE

Made this contraption. Worked well so far been on nearly a year.

rOcKeTdOg

i put a granny and front mech on for Scotland trip last week,but never used it…just carried it around! 🙄

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

I really like the 1×9 set up on my 29er.

Does anyone know if a short cage MTB rear mech will take a 12-36 cassette?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

audiophile
    Free Member

Think most short cage mechs top out at 34, check on CRC as they give the maximum and minimum cassette sizes with the mech info.

rootes1

Length of cage not and issue for 36. Length of cage just to do with taking up more slack when having more gears. The action and position/path of the top jockey wheel is the same, so if long cage shifts onto 36. Shorter cage in the same mech will.

Andy

rOcKeTdOg – Member
    i put a granny and front mech on for Scotland trip last week,but never used it…just carried it around!

swoons….

pedalhead
    Free Member

1×9 worked just fine on my Pegasus as well, no bashguard required…

SirHC

E13 XCX, E13 G ring. No rubbing at all from 1 to 9.

Skoolshoes
    Free Member

4 months since creation and it’s still holding up 😉

racing_ralph
    Free Member

with a 32/36 combo how does it compare to a 22/34 with a 32t rear sprocket?

bonesetter
    Free Member

Short rear cage, chain as tight as, no drop device. Never drops with rough trail riding.
    Middleburns with 30T chainring, 73mm BB 11-36

racing_ralph
    Free Member

racing_ralph – Member

with a 32/36 single ring (36t being the biggest cassette sprocket) combo how does it compare to a 22/34 with a 32t rear sprocket?

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Here’s mine:

Chainset has now changed to a cut down XTR and a Saint short cage mech.

rOcKeTdOg

Cut down XTR?

Anthony
    Free Member

Cut down XTR = a la Jones surely.

Terry
    Free Member

Terry
    Free Member

[img]http://lp1.pinkbike.org/p4pb5183875/p4pb5183875.jpg[/img]

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Cut down XTR:

I’m thinking of going with 160mm middleburn cranks at some point. with a 29T chainring.

bonesetter
    Free Member

FRC – correction to mine above. It is a 29T up front. This suits my riding terrain very well and does not spin out on the way to and fro the trail – recommended as 1×9

AlexSimon

bonesetter – is the middleburn setup easy to do? Is it a Duo crank and a Duo 29t ring.
    I’m currently researching ways to get lower than a 32t front 1×9 ring.
    No chain device needed?

letmetalktomark

This didn’t work: Cage spider contact 🙁

This does: 🙂

swoosh
    Free Member

Has anyone tried the Pauls Components Chain Keeper with a standard triple chianset? Any issues?

Or how about the new Superstar chainguide that is very similar to the MRP/E-13 ones?

Dr_Bakes

I’ve been experimenting with 1×9 this last week using a 32T chainring and 11-32 cassette and one of Superstar’s XCR £17 chain devices.

It looks much the same as Sir HC’s E13 and futon river crossing’s mrp above.

Initial impressions are very good. After a bit of fettling with BB spacers to get the device in line with the chainline I’ve been loving it. In four rides I’ve not lost the chain and there’s only a tiny bit of rub on the device when I’m in the 11T at the back that I will try eradicate when I can be bothered.

witty.name
    Free Member

What size chainring are you 29er riders running up front? Im using a 36t on my 26 inch bike and was gona bung it on my new 29er when it arrives but after looking at this thread im thinking it may be too big.Running a 11/34 cassette btw.

swoosh
    Free Member

Dr_Brakes – what chainset are you running that set up with?

therealhoops
    Free Member

DIY 2×9’s are the way forward

Dr_Bakes

swoosh, I’m just using an SLX triple chainset minus big ring and the granny. I’ve got a 32T Salsa singlespeed ring (big teeth) on order from Charlie the BM but the royal mail have conveniently lost it en route, however so far the chain has stayed in place.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Those SSC ones look just like the E13 ones!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘1 x 9 pic’ is closed to new replies.