Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 1 x 9 or 1 x 10 gearing for a 29er!
  • tk46hal
    Free Member

Hi All,

Who’s running this on a 29er? Please tell and show your pictures if any!
    Are you using a devise/chain stop at the chain ring end or not?
    I will probably use a 32 tooth front ring.

Thanks!

cruzer
    Free Member

Been thinking about this. Currently i run an 11-36 cassette with 27-39 up front, but never use the granny gear. Was thinking of going 38t up front, and then swapping the front chain ring depending on what im racing and the course.

Depending on how hard you like to push a gear, you might find your spinning out with a 32t

tang
    Free Member

Yes both. 32 ring with a jumpstop from billys and a bash guard from here, used the 9speed 32 ring, 36 cassette out back. Works a treat. I do live in a very hilly area and the 32 is fine. I also run a 2×10 set up on a 29er which is great for bigger days out (26/38 up front).

tk46hal
    Free Member

Tang!

Would you say that it’s necessary to use a jumpstop thing and to have a bash guard? I’ve never had a chain jump off my triple setups!

tang
    Free Member

Most certainly(your mech will have beendoing the job)! you could get a chain device from superstar (cheap) and not bother with the bash/stop. I have seen people running 1x with no device up front but they must be taking it easy and being careful when shifting under load(or bad timing shifts!)

Bazz

I was on my last 29er, 34T up front with a superstar chain guide and 11-34 out back, not too hilly on my normal route and reckon with a bit of out the saddle stomping i could of got up most things.

singlecrack
    Free Member

1×10 34 front 36-11 superstars chain guide (£16)
    no pics sorry

fenred
    Free Member

tk – Been running 1×9 purely with a jump-stop and 32t singlespeed ring and never dropped the chain on my inbred 26er. Today ordered a 29er inbred and plan on running the same drivetrain and dont expect any difference…I hope!!

Or maybe I’m just not Gnarcore enough to bounce the chain off 😉

tk46hal
    Free Member

Fenred! You’ll notice that your easy gear won’t be as easy on your 29er than the 26er, but you’ll get used to it and probably fitter and stronger!
    What colour 29er Inbred did you plug for in the end?

fenred
    Free Member

Orange tk, to go with the new white Reba’s!

Apple sauce green and white forks woulda been…All wrong 😉

Just couldn’t sacrifice the steel spring for weight in the end so I remain very, very inbred! 😳

tk46hal
    Free Member

Good call and will look nice! 😛

matthew_h
    Free Member

I’ve got 33t front with 11-36 10 speed rear using an E13 Guidering, E13 XCX and an XTR Shadow+ rear mech on my 29er. Works spot on with a good range of gears

fenred
    Free Member

Good call and will look nice!

Cheers, will mail pics when built up…

matthew_h sounds like a good range of gears, the 36t sprocket will def be a benefit.

Nipper99
    Free Member

1×10 11/36 outback with Middleburn Uno 32 up front. XT medium cage rear mech. On Singular Gryphon.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘1 x 9 or 1 x 10 gearing for a 29er!’ is closed to new replies.