Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 1 x 9 advice?-do i need a guide?
  • georgecats_0
    Free Member

thinking bout going 1 x 9,using originalxt middle ring with bash,xt rear mech/9 spd cassette,do i need a chain guide? any thoughts?/experience?

curvature
    Free Member

Yes

fenred
    Free Member

Can of worms, some say yes, others say no…unramped ring and a jump-stop works well for me, other will insist on a guide. Depends upon your riding/terrain/ego 😉

curvature
    Free Member

Being more helpful I went from a 3 x 10 set up on my Five because I kept dropping the chain and didn’t use the granny or big rings.

The chain device really does work but if you don’t drop chains then you may not need it.

lucien

If you want full on gnarr, like jumping off kerbs, hitting speedbumps, bunny hopping drain covers then you’ll need a chainguide IMHO.

If you are into less lairy stuff then you should be OK

Hadge
    Free Member

I wouldn’t say yes or no. What frame are you running it on – a HT or FS? If it’s an FS how much travel does it have? For a HT, the cost of something like a Superstars device for peace and mind makes it a no-brainer and I might be right in saying it will even work on a FS frame with up to 4″ of travel, so again it’s a good peace of mind choice.
    I use a Lopes on my DW Link 5 Spot with an un-ramped Goldtec ring and it works perfectly on a 1×10 set-up. It could be a case of suck and see, run without one and if you start having problems go out and buy one.

fenred
    Free Member

edit- If I ever consider jumping off a kurb or riding over a speedbump I always quickly stop and put a chain device on…then quickly take it off again immediately after until the next gnarcore obsticle leaps out in front of me 😉

Alternatively, set everything up right from the outset. 😀

georgecats_0
    Free Member

thanks for the advise,iv gotta a 120mm travel full susser,would a front mech work as a guide?

Mrtrotter
    Free Member

I use an n-gear jump stop and bash ring on one bike- never dropped a chain since.

On other bike I used a cheap Superstar xcr guide and no bashring- again keeps the chain on.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘1 x 9 advice?-do i need a guide?’ is closed to new replies.