Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • 1 x 10/11 query
  • MarkiMark
    Free Member

Looking for expertise and real world experience.
    I currently run a single front ring, and generally love it. Want to make some improvements so considering a few options.
    Current setup – Front 36. Rear 10 speed with a 36 granny.
    Option 1 – Reduce front to (say) 32. Keep rear same. This will give me a slightly smaller gear fro climbs, and means I can continue to use 10 speed setup.
    Option 2 – Reduce front to 32. Upgrade rear to 11 speed and get a 40 granny. I am not sure if a Shimano 11 speed cassette will fit on a freehub body designed for 10 speed, so that’s my first question. I realise that this will then require me to get an 11 speed shifter, but would I need a new rear derailleur. Mine is a long cage XTR (non-clutch).
    Any help appreciated.. Thanks
    PS – Just got back rom a great weekend at Coed Y Brenin. Bike handled it brilliantly but has pretty much fallen apart so this is a good opportunity to upgrade rather than just replace.

nickjb
    Free Member

11 speed will fit a 10 speed hub. Pretty sure you’ll need a new mech unless you are happy to do a bit of bodging. Option 3 is to add a 40T gear to your current block and take out one of the higher gears. Gives you a bit of a jump lower down but you get a bigger range and it’s pretty cheap.

nemesis
    Free Member

I asked the question about 10/11 speed mech compatibility – the jury’s still out but I’ll report once I get the parts.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/zee-fr-rear-mech-on-11-speed-m8000-with-11-42-will-it-work

Mind you, if you’re after 1x, I’d suggest a clutch mech is a worthwhile investment anyway.

thelonebiker
    Free Member

A guy I ride with has 1×11 32T (10-42 SRAM Cassette). Says that covers him for everything.

I ride 1×10 34T 11-36 and to be honest its pretty good. I miss a little more top end on the road but can run at 21mph ish without a silly cadence. Hills wise 34T 36 cassette allows me to climb everything where I live!

I was looking at the SRAM GX series, priced well but you’ll require an XD driver for your hub. I’ve since come to the conclusion of getting a 30T or 32T chainrings if I was doing some big hills.

As you’re replaceing some stuff anyway maybe the SRAM GX is the way to go!!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘1 x 10/11 query’ is closed to new replies.