Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 1 x 10 Crank Arms
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

any nice looking 1×10 crank arms about? ive got some of the newest xt black ones, but they are rubbed to high heaven, the only thing that looks really really really really tatty on my bike

are there any around 100 – 150 mark just for the arms, dont need rings etc, oh and standard external BB type ones, not pressfit etc (if that affects the arms at all?)

njee20
    Free Member

Buy chainset, sell rings, cover cranks with tape. Any cranks will look rubbish if you leave them out.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

i have thought about doing that tbh – though fancied a change away from xt

is it possible to run the xx1 cranks with a standard external BB or are the crank arms designed around pressfit etc?

they are relatively cheap on german sites, and assume i could run the ring too with 10x setup?

im guessing its not just that simple though 🙁

DanW
    Free Member

Rotor triple then use the ring in the middle position? At the very top of budget but light, stiff, secure and good looking. Most importantly they are not Shimano for those fancying a change from the best cranks on the market 😀

njee20
    Free Member

is it possible to run the xx1 cranks with a standard external BB or are the crank arms designed around pressfit etc?

There’s a GXP and BB30 version. Works fine with 10 speed, combined with a Shadow Plus or Type 2 mech should have the same chain retention benefits too. Bear in mind though they only come with a 32t ring, if you want a different size the cost jumps up.

You’ll still need to cover them though, my XX cranks scuffed worse than Shimano!

nikxl
    Free Member

It is that simple. I went out on mine yesterday XX1 chainset but still running the 10 speed as i have no XD compatible wheels yet. XT shadow+ rear mech and it ran perfectly

jameso

If you’d like to sell the XT (assume they’re double?) arms on thier own, PM me? Got a project for them. Thanks.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

njee20 – Member

There’s a GXP and BB30 version. Works fine with 10 speed, combined with a Shadow Plus or Type 2 mech should have the same chain retention benefits too. Bear in mind though they only come with a 32t ring, if you want a different size the cost jumps up.

You’ll still need to cover them though, my XX cranks scuffed worse than Shimano!

perfect! yep i run a 32 (peak district) up front so no change needed there…

righty then this gxp converter thing, how does that work? assume it still uses the same chainring bolts right? and also assuming it wont knacker up my chainline? (as ive just got clearance running perfectly)

nikxl – did you have to do the conversion or are you pressfit etc already?

jameso – they were triple originally but now running 1×10, just removed outer and inner and run a hope 32 up ring up front

njee20
    Free Member

righty then this gxp converter thing, how does that work? assume it still uses the same chainring bolts right? and also assuming it wont knacker up my chainline? (as ive just got clearance running perfectly)

GXP is just SRAM’s version of HT2, with a 23mm axle instead of 24mm (or something, IIRC), chain ring bolts are unrelated? Hope do little top hat things so you can use your existing Shimano BB, but AFAIK XX1 comes with a GXP threaded BB, so you just fit that exactly as you would a HT2 BB.

The chainline with XX1 will be fine, it’s what it’s designed for after all.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Given that XT are perfectly functional have you considered,keeping what you have and polishing them?

njee20
    Free Member

Deore are perfectly functional, I assume you don’t have anything better?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

njee20 – Member
    GXP is just SRAM’s version of HT2, with a 23mm axle instead of 24mm (or something, IIRC), chain ring bolts are unrelated? Hope do little top hat things so you can use your existing Shimano BB, but AFAIK XX1 comes with a GXP threaded BB, so you just fit that exactly as you would a HT2 BB.

The chainline with XX1 will be fine, it’s what it’s designed for after all.

cheers njee – very useful info, nice one….i have a hope bb so guess i can still use that too

they are wayyyyyyyy cheaper in germany than the uk, even cheaper than x0 are in the uk

do like the look of them too, plus ill get a chainring i can actually use too

as for polishing my cranks, its a possibility yes, but there are also a fair few rock scrapes etc to, but it is something i can look into i guess

njee20
    Free Member

Plenty of kit is far cheaper in Germany! I’d be tempted, but by the time I’ve also bought a Shadow Plus mech and a new chainring it becomes a pretty expensive exercise!

rootes1

Shimano Zee

Shimano Saint

but just get deore etc and remove the rings you do not need, thought he zee etc cones with an unramped full teeth ring which helps

nikxl
    Free Member

I was BB30 already but as others have said GXP is available and as a bonus is cheaper. Bike-discount is where i got my groupset from.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘1 x 10 Crank Arms’ is closed to new replies.