Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • 1 st ride at the veledrome
  • lord
    Free Member

cant believe how much i enjoyed it , gonna do it again what a bargain night for a tenner inc the bike hire

monkeychild
    Free Member

Which one?? I fancy a go on one like as a fixie rider I am just curious to see what it will be like.

hora
    Free Member

I could have ridden for hours- except for the damn dry throat! Plus I remember the coach shouting at me to keep peddling as my rear wheel slid sideways down the top slope (kept it together and kept peddling!)

lord
    Free Member

we went to manchester , 15 of us around 10 new to the track but all left wanting to come back ,you get a coach to advise for the hour , give it a go its great fun.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I went in feb, had an absolute blast it was like learning to ride all over a again, I came off a couple of time and slide down the banking, Awesome fun.

lord
    Free Member

shep is right its like having the stabilzers off for the first time , legs like jelly for the first couple of laps the didnt want to stop

MrSmith
    Free Member

I came off a couple of time and slide down the banking, Awesome fun.

not much fun if you take other riders out though.

clareymorris

I can't believe you think coming off at the velodrome is fun – remind me not to go when you are there SS!!!!!

hora
    Free Member

You came off a couple of times? 😯

I'm an appalling rider (skillwise etc) but even I managed to keep on AND I was going up the top of each turn then shooting down low into the straights 😆

Joxster
    Free Member

Last time I came off at Manchester I broke four ribs and fecked the ligaments in my shoulder, I was doing 80km at the time in the last 3 laps of an scratch race as another rider took out my front wheel.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Yep, track riding is great fun. Just keep the speed up when you're up the top of the banking and you'll be fine 😆

EarlofBarnet
    Free Member

It is brilliant fun. I rode at Manchester a few years ago and had a great day. Bit daunting at the top of the banks the first few times and a bit weird riding a fixie, but well worth doing at least once.

AntLockyer
    Free Member

I'd like to ride Mancherster or Newport. Only indoor I've done is Calshot and it's tighter than a gnat's chuff. I ride at Herne Hill sometimes.

MrSmith
    Free Member

often the problem with mtb'ers as opposed to those who ride in road groups is they are not used to riding in tight groups, holding a wheel or listening when being told what to do.
    my flatmate is a track coach and just about every training/induction accident he has witnessed has been caused by a mtb'er/commuter nodder doing something silly because they don't listen.

IIRC hora rode straight up the banking on his first lap and got shouted at by the coach, all very funny and amusing until somebody loses a leg.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

I had a go at Manchester recently as a corporate event organised by a contractor who had a member of the Bejing GB team rider working for them now- blummin eck he was quick!

Struggled with dry throat as there is no air at all- but found it really good fun- and the banking is quite a good encouragement to keep spinning fast!!

Didn't know I risked losing a leg though!

aP
    Free Member

First time I went to Manchester in 94 we spent the first 10 minutes or so riding round as slow as possible to give us confidence in the grip – that was on the original track though. I suppose I'd better look at rebuilding my track tandem.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

came off a couple of time and slide down the banking, Awesome fun.

and people wonder why the velodrome coaches sometimes get a bit tetchy

a bit weird riding a fixie,

that's because it's a fixed gear bike

BigJohn

I suppose I'd better look at rebuilding my track tandem.

The last time I saw a track tandem was on an Easter Monday, when they'd been racing at Herne Hill on Good Friday. I don't think I've ever seen so many bandages on 2 blokes.

simon1975

It was a surprise to me to find how steeply banked it was at the bottom of the turns, but once I'd got the hang of it I wasn't scared of going right to the top. Even more fun when I started dropping off the banking at the end of the turns.

Our coach was brilliant at Manchester – seemed unnecessarily strict at first but then let the competent riders get on with it, and only shouted at people who were presenting a danger to themselves and others.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

how steeply banked it was at the bottom of the turns

it's the same angle all the way from the top to the bottom, it's the tightness of the curve that changes as you go up

seemed unnecessarily strict at first but then let the competent riders get on with it,

it's crowd control open open session, assert dominance, work out who can ride, focus on the weaker riders and shout at the idiots, let the competent get on with the session

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘1 st ride at the veledrome’ is closed to new replies.