• This topic has 14 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by DT78.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 1 pound out of every 3 is spent via Barclaycard?
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Really? That’s what it just said on their 50 year celebration advert.

spekkie
    Free Member

quite a business model if it’s correct.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Let me google that.

Research was inconclusive.

coconut
    Free Member

Strange that ? My local drug dealer reckons £10 of every £10 spent is cash.

footflaps

Well they only have 1/6 of the UK credit card market by volume.

10.4m Barclaycards: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barclaycard
    60m credit cards: http://uk.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/uk-britain-credit-debit-card-statistics-international.php

So I’m doubtful.

Edit, it can’t be true at 100% of credit card spend is 1/3 of debit card spend:

There were 2.6 billion debit card transactions amounting to £110.8 billion in Q3 2015.19

The above figure compares with 2.3 billion debit card transactions amounting to £100.8 billion in Q3 2014.27

Credit card transactions numbered 798 million in Q3 2015, amounting to £45.9 billion, up from 778 million transactions worth £45.2 billion in the previous quarter.19

So they have 1/6 cards of a £45.9b CC market, but £110.8b were spent on debit cards….

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Are they counting what they handle as processors of merchant payments?

Barclaycard is the only payments business in the UK to operate as both the issuer of credit cards to consumers and processor of payments for merchants; one pound in every three spent in the UK is done so through Barclaycard.

Sauce

LadyGresley
    Free Member

None of our poundsies are spent via Barclaycard.

riddoch

I wondered that too but Barclaycard may provide the infrastructure and cards for other banks to use.
    Actually aren’t a load of the point of sale pin machines badged up as Barclaycard?

footflaps

In which case their claim would seem very disingenuous! Not that I’ve seen the advert….

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

In which case their claim is very disingenuous! Not that I’ve seen the advert….

They should pop it on the side of a bus 😀

phiiiiil

I’ve lost all faith in stuff written on buses. Only the other day I was after the number 72 bus; I got on only to discover it was actually the number 24! Bastards.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

I’ve lost all faith in stuff written on buses. Only the other day I was after the number 72 bus; I got on only to discover it was actually the number 24! Bastards.

Asuming you speak a bit of Lithuanian, you should have asked the driver.

julians
    Free Member

Theyre including transactions on non barclaycards that go through the various point of sales terminals that are part of barclays merchant services, as well as purchases on barclaycards directly.

antigee

As said card processing

Amused to see the usual “sorry we don’t accept American Express” sign when waiting in line at an American Express branded foreign exchange outlet the other day.

Volume versus margin

DT78
    Free Member

Yep they will be talking about card and merchant services. I actually had a hand in beefing up the infrastructure for it several years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘1 pound out of every 3 is spent via Barclaycard?’ is closed to new replies.