Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 1 inch threaded steel frame, options for a 26er steel disc fork?
  • TimothyD
    Free Member

Hi folks.

I have an old steel mtb from the early to mid 90’s with a 1 inch threaded headset.

Is there a headset out there which would fit to allow me to use a threadless headset in the current head tube, or does anybody know of anybody making a 1 inch threaded steel disc fork?

Thanks.
    Tim

TimothyD
    Free Member

Keeping in mind I’m knackered, is this the solution to my problem?

My (knackered) brain is telling me it is. 😉

http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=40740

Ta.

TimothyD
    Free Member

Use a fork with a 1 and 1 8th steerer in a frame which currently uses a 1 inch threaded fork, that is.

bigrich

not really I don’t think. you could get some old forks but I think you’d be better off getting someone to fabricate you a nice set with discs and qr15.

TimothyD
    Free Member

It’s a fully rigid steel mtb with curved forks.

The BMX site I linked to does talk about using a newer wider steerer 1 and 1 8th steer tube in 1 inch bearing cups, though.

Could be worth buying a couple of threadless headsets from ebay of both sizes and seeing how things mate up I guess.

The guy on the BMX site talks about finding a fork crown/ steerer tube race which has a nice curve, some experimentation may be in order…

TimothyD
    Free Member

Perhaps strangle, I’m feeling vaguely excited at having an experiment. 🙂

isitafox
    Free Member

As above, pic a pair of forks up from ebay and search for an mpart 1″ headset. I’m doing the same with a 700c frame for my wife and just picked some forks and a headset up for that. You can get an mpart headset for about £17-18 with aluminium cups and sealed bearings!

nedrapier

I did the same. knocked out the old headset, pressed in a ritchey Scuzzy Logic job (a bit £more that the Mpart one) and got a pair of Kona 2s off here.

bikeman.com in the US has a run of new Kona P2s with 1″ steerer. USD 65.00. Not sure about shipping or disc mounts.

Edit: not disc. http://www.bikeman.com/KON-P2MTNONEINCH.html

nedrapier

Just to clarify – the frame doesn’t care whether it’s a threaded or non threaded headset. Just that it’s 1″.

you might still struggle finding a 1″ threadless fork with disn mount though. Unless you want to use it as a commuter? In which case you might find some CX disc forks, and you could run a 700c disc wheel instead? (not much bigger in diameter than 26″ with 2″ tyres) You wouldn’t have the side clearance for mtb tyres though.

amedias
    Free Member

Tim, just to give you a heads up, the link you referenced earlier in the thread is talking about BMX 1 inch, which isn’t the same as road/MTB 1 inch (madness I know…), so althoguh they are saying it can be done, they’re talking about a different standard.

This conversion is possible on old BMX and American klunkers but not on a 1 inch headtubed MTB or road bike.

What you can do, is use a 1 inch threadless headset, and then a 1 inch threadless disc fork like this:

http://www.carboncycles.cc/?p=966&&m=1&

There might be others but the Exotic one is the only one I’m familiar with that is available easily new with a 1 inch steerer, althoguh you might find an 2nd hand Pace fork with one if you hunt hard enough. You might also get lucky and find an old 1 inch fork (threaded or not) that somebody has had a disc mount added to but don’t hold your breath.

thenorthwind

Might have to try something like this with the folding 26″ frame I just bought off eBay for sh*ts and giggles (google “Rudge biframe”).

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

changing the headset to threadless is easy enough. plenty on ebay and probably even yer local bike shop can source one.

TimothyD
    Free Member

Well I never, at the difference between inches.

Those curved disc forks look tempting.

Thanks all.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘1 inch threaded steel frame, options for a 26er steel disc fork?’ is closed to new replies.