Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 1" headset rambling silly question.
  • Wally

Doing up an old bike for a friend. Has a Judy elastomer 1" threaded fork circa 97 – I think. Can I fit any non threaded 1" fork if I get a 1" threadless headset too? Not sure where to get one though. The other option is to fit one of those adaptor things. Just a little bit nervous of quill stems – not sure if this is a rational fear though.

bassspine
    Free Member

tange make an inch threadless headset.

boxelder

Mmmmmmmm.
    Does it have a crown race?

Seriously, you may struggle to find 1" forks or headset. Stick with the threaded, unless you need new forks, in which case go with either. Quill is fine.

Edric64
    Free Member

Why are you nervous of quill stems?I don't break them on any of my off road bikes including the inch ones on a crosser and 2 mtb's

Edric64
    Free Member

you will find inch headsets easily as most road bikes had them until not long ago. I last bought one about 6 months ago

Sam

Campag ones are nice.

A threadless adapter for threaded fork is just as week as a quill stem anyhow. If you are worried about strength, go threadless. However if you want boing your choice is limited. Loads of nice rigid steel forks with 1" steerers though.

Wally

Rigid steel would be my way of doing it, any links to some?

Mackem

Threaded steerers are very different to non-threaded. One is designed to take compression force one direction, the other is designed to for forces in a different direction. (yes, this is a slightly pissed non-techy post). Can you replace the steerer on the fork? Otherwise, use a quill on a threaded, use a aheadset on a non-threaded.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘1" headset rambling silly question.’ is closed to new replies.