• This topic has 29 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by tang.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • 1 finger braking, brake levers inboard of shifters?
  • alfabus
    Free Member

I've been playing around with moving my brake levers further towards the centre of the bars, to force myself to 1 finger brake.

However, I'm finding it annoying that I can't reach the shifter triggers easily.

I'm using XT triggers at the moment, with the shift position window, so they are designed to fit well with the brakes further out than the gears.

Is anyone running them the other way? or do I need to remove the shift position window?

Dave

carbon337
    Free Member

I have this setup – suits my short thumbs for shifting.

Rear has window on and front shifter doesnt.

backhander
    Free Member

I have a similar set up as carbon337 (hope tech/XT) but have removed both windows from the shifters.

lunge

Try removing the windows and moving the shifts outside the brake levers. Unless you have very long brake levers (Like the Hope Tech brakes above) you'll struggle with the shifter window still on.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Get the brakes into their optimal position, then do whatever you have to do with the shifter(s) to get them into a comfortable position. Most current equipment will be set up with the brake inboard from the shifter.

mrvear
    Free Member

I want to remove my windows from my XT shifters. What is the best way to blank the big hole off?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

they have a blanking plate on the back of the shifter window.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Depends on which finger you brake with, I like to use my middle finger so don't run them as far inboard as some. Also gives the oppertunity to use two fingers for full on 'ohhh ******' moments.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I always run my brakes inboard of the shifters by about an inch or so, thought that was "the norm"?

mrvear
    Free Member

Thanks HoratioHufnagel, I shall go look for it now.

toys19
    Free Member

I find that this is only possible with wider bars, even with my midget hands. If you havent got XT shifters than Sram ones doent have shift windows (does anyone ever use them anyway?) I always thought this was the main reason for the rise in popularity of sram kit amongst the DH types..

mrvear
    Free Member

Can't find a blanking plate on mine : (

votchy
    Free Member

they have a blanking plate on the back of the shifter window.

Not all of them do, my rapidfire shifters didn't when I removed the windows, covered the holes with Park glueless patch, been in place for 3 years now.

mrvear
    Free Member

Ta votchy, may try that. Don't like the windows at all and would like to try my shifters further in.

turboferret

I've used insulation tape to cover the holes on XTR shifters before, one bike has tape which has held for about 8 years now 😆

I've also chopped the windows on Deore non-removable indicators, and filled up the resultant slot with silicon sealant which has worked well. I find that with Hope mini levers I need to have the clamp where the indicator sits, so have to remove them.

Cheers, Rich

alpin
    Free Member

cut off a strip of gaffa tape and cut to suit. or you could spend £5 in the LBS and buy some carbon(!) cover plates, but you'd (IMO) be a mug to do so.

Dirtynap
    Free Member

+1 coffeeking

carbon337
    Free Member

My slx shifters had no plates either.

I just cut the window at the 90deg bend and screwed them back on.

mrvear
    Free Member

Ohh I want some carbon cover plates now, which worries me as I am not usually a tart or a mug.

yunki
    Free Member

My slx shifters had no plates either.

what's that all about then..? cos mine DID have the blanking plates.. they weren't attached in an immediately obvious and easy way to find.. kind of like finding a secret compartment or seeing one of those 3D magic eye pictures.. but they were there…

takisawa2

Them Hope levers are flipping lovely.

chiefgrooveguru

I swapped mine over recently – can now comfortably one finger brake for everything as the single digit has more than twice as much leverage as before (this is with ElixirR/X9 components).

Do bikes always come from the shop with the levers outboard?

cheshmatt
    Free Member

What Three_Fish said: concentrate on the brakes and fit the shifters around them.
    My brakes are set up for one finger braking, but I run the shifters inboard as I prefer them out of the way. They are SLX, window removed, tucked up right next to the brake levers and the shifter body moved outboard on the mounting adjustment.
    Do what feels best for you!

turboferret

My levers

Cheers, Rich

toys19
    Free Member

Do bikes always come from the shop with the levers outboard?

There was a thread on here recently where the STW masses seriously berated a bloke for having his levers inboard, made me laugh as all those criticising him obviously didn't ride like all of us one finger brakers…

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Grrr I want to do this on my xt…but I want to keep my windows!….grrr

toys19
    Free Member

Some sram models have windows in the clamp? I dunno which ones/year though..

odannyboy
    Free Member

why would anyone want to keep shift windows and for that matter whay are they even made??
    i have sram x9.they arnt made with shift windows and there flippin top notch!
    Bin em!!!

mrvear
    Free Member

Where can I get said carbon cover plates? LBS has never heard of them and my google searches have bared no fruit.

tang
    Free Member

maybe some carbon patches for cable rub covering? pace did them and im sure you can get loads these days. i just use heli tape on the frame these days, built up on wear areas.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘1 finger braking, brake levers inboard of shifters?’ is closed to new replies.