Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • 1 day for an awesome ride in the Peak
  • Kahurangi

I need an awesome ride in the Peak District – are there any? I’ve… never ridden there 😳

I’m camping with mates in the Hope Valley over the Bank Hol weekend and have a day free before they arrive. What’s the most awesomeest biking we can do, anywhere?

Big scenery? Mega techy? Big climbs, big descents? 8)

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

You have loads of options there, in the valley alone you should consider putting a loop together around some of these downs.

Jaggers
    Hollins to Castleton
    Greenlands
    Backtor
    Cavedale
    Potatoe ally
    The beast
    Hag farm
    Etc

Or an easily route would be the Jacobs loop which you could extend by starting in hope.

siloseven
    Free Member

this one’s not bad, it includes most of the good stuff

http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=zrmqddcljlkzfprr

Kahurangi

jamesw – I’ll go look for some of those in Strava then? I’ve heard of The Beast, don’t know if that makes it any good. I have also heard of Jacob’s Ladder – but mostly as a good (really) hard climb.

Soliseven – cheers. a GPX is actually great s it means I can plonk the route in to ViewRanger and follow it on there 🙂

rogerthecat
    Free Member

There’s no good riding round ‘ere lad, best you try over towards Macclesfield. It’s all rubbish in the Valley of No Hope.

The list ^^^ is a fair list, also worth looking at Winstone Lee Tor spectacular from the top.

colournoise

My go to loop is up the Roman Road from Hope, then Potato Alley – Lockerbrook – Whinstone Lee Tor – Hagg Farm – back down the Roman Road.

Alternatively, Roman Road – Potato Alley (or The Beast) – Lockerbrook – Hagg Farm – Jagger’s – up Mam Tor – Cavedale.

grannyjone
    Free Member

Cut Gate from Ladybower (also easily reachable from Bamford railway station). Very technical in places with good scenery. I fell off there in June, it was actually the last time I fell off my bike.
    However it’s not very long so won’t take up much of a day so maybe link it to some of the other rides from the reserviors such as the 50k ride mentioned above.
    The best thing about Cut Gate is it’s a very easy trail to follow, hardly any junctions, you don’t have to stop to read a map every 2 minutes and your unlikely to get lost. If you look at a map the route is incredibly obvious I don’t even need to give a link to a map or anything.
    It’s even better as an evening ride it looks spectacular when the sun is going down.

Bad things about it – chance of getting hurt, very steep on the Ladybower side, you have to back-track on yourself once you arrive at the final destination (Langsett reservoir) there is little option but to head back up the way you came but the trail is so varied that it doesn’t matter that much and at least it means you’re not going to struggle with navigation.

Any other route in the Peaks means getting lost and/or loads of map stops to me if I’ve not done it before, but Cut Gate is extremely straightforwards so thats what I’d do if I didn’t know the area and wasn’t riding with someone who does.

Andy-W
    Free Member

From Hope head over past ladybower and do cut gate.. when you get back to hope if your feeling fit head up the broken road at castleton along rushup edge to hayfield and back via Jacobs ladder

a big day with about 8000 feet of climbing

your dinner will taste very nice after that.

jeffl

Been a bit of rain recently so the top (middle) part of cut gate is probably going to be a rubbish bog fest. There was a thread on here about it the other day.

grannyjone
    Free Member

Didn’t realise that. It was dry up there on a late June evening, have not been since as it’s not local. But the amount of rain recently has been horrendous, some of my local trails are seeing conditions worse than anything I’ve seen since February.

Note that Jacobs Ladder as a climb a lot of it is a push, if I was to get that in I’d try and use it as a descent.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Having just moved to Sheffield, this thread is perfect. Thank you op.

carlos
    Free Member

From Hope
    Up Pindale
    Along Dirtlow Rake
    Down Cavedale
    Up the Broken Road (Mam Tor)
    Along Rushup Edge
    Roych Clough, Mount Famine, South Head etc…
    Down towards The Ashes and the Full Campsite descent
    Up to the Spotsmans Pub
    Up Coldwell Clough
    Down Jacobs
    Up Greenlands
    Down Back Tor
    Up, down and up, Jaggers Clough to Hope Cross*
    Finish descending on the Hope Roman Road back to Hope

*If you want more down The Beast (Fluffy Kitten)
    **Along LadyBower to Thornhill
    Round Aston
    Up and along Hope Brink
    Then finish on The a Roman Road back into Hope

**If you gluten for punishment after Ladybower, cross the dam, head down the road, left and up Hurst Clough, bridle ways Into Hathersage, head up towards the glider club, onto Shatton Moor, up to Shatton Mast, down Bradwell Edge, round the aback of the Cement Works and into Hope

Carlos

chrishc777
    Free Member

Off to the Peaks next week, shall be keeping an eye on this!

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Try to take in Spud Alley, such good fun!

BadlyWiredDog

If you’re thinking of riding there more than once, the V-Publishing Dark Park Guide – this – is a pretty good one complete with OS mapping.

Easier to follow than a list of official/unofficial trail names I reckon. I mean, how on earth does anyone identify ‘Spud Alley’ using an OS map? 🙂

MrNice
    Free Member

Pik n Mix – which bit of Sheffield? if you’re on the west side you can ride out to a lot of the good trails

Kahurangi

BWD – I may try and pick that up. I got the Dales one and it’s pretty handy. However we followed one of those from the Lake Dsitrict guide last weekend and it was a bit…. disappointing.

At the moment I’m likely to end up following the gpx posted above – I’d love to spend hours researching starva and cross referencing it with the OS maps but I reallly haven;t got enough time free to do that 🙁

isitafox
    Free Member

Agree with the Jacobs Ladder thing, if you do it as a climb then you’re doing it wrong! (unless you climb it on a hoppy trials bike!)

emyr

If you’re thinking of riding there more than once, the V-Publishing Dark Park Guide – this – is a pretty good one complete with OS mapping.

So much this ^.

It’s the John Barton book with Cy Turner from Cotic on the cover. Title is in a fetching retro font.

It’s somewhere between A5 and A6 size, fits in a Camelbak easily.

edward2000
    Free Member

Carlos has most of it covered. Thats definately a good start

Kahurangi

In the end SWMBO said she wanted to ride the downhill tracks at Wharncliffe wo we went there. We did walk around the Hop Valley and I’m very likely to take the bike back for another trip some time, maybe even this weekend.

Walking down Jacob’s ladder, it did look a bit of fun on a bike and saw a group coming down (so I heckled appropriately). I assume it’s better to stay on the BW side of the descent to avoid the crowds on the FP? The bottom of the BW looks like it was less steps and more slope.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘1 day for an awesome ride in the Peak’ is closed to new replies.