Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 09 Orange crush or 09 Rocky Ridge
  • beefy

Looking for something long forked of around a grand, thinking either a 09 crush (apparently a bit more hardcore) or a Marin Rocky Ridge, the 09 ones are around a grand.

Any thoughts?

I currently ride a 456 SS, but I want something a little less slack, shock horror, its great, sometimes I find it a little long.

Bregante

I have ridden both (mate's got a Crush) and there really isn't much to choose between them, in the end I went for the Rocky Ridge but only because I was struggling to find a Crush in my size. If you're buying a "New" 09 you'll be lucky to get a Crush now I would have thought and the 2010 one is a bit less "sturdy". I'm happ with the Marin, the geometry is great (mine's a large and I'm 6'1) I love the wide bars and the Van R fork (now I have the right spring) is superb. By no means a lightweight but it's great downhill. The only thing I'd possibly look to change are the brakes. Just a personal thing really, the Hayes Strokers are very noisy and prone to a bit of fade (but it could be the OE pads cos I've ridden so little lately through injury I haven't worn my first pads out yet 😳 )

mrh86

Without checking: Isn't the crush slacker than a 456?

grantway
    Free Member

Sunset bikes had a 09 Crush for sale

Bregante

Sunset bikes had a 09 Crush for sale

they had that on the website in September when I rang them and they apologised that it should have been taken off then!

Ewan
    Free Member

I had this dilemia last year, and test rode both extensively. Suffice to say I got the rocky ridge and abosolutely love it a year on. I've only ridden my other proper bike (SC Nomad) a couple of times since (and when I go to the alps).

– Awesome geometary. I'm 6ft and ride a medium (at the limit of the seat post extension admitdly)
    – Ace forks, my one came with QR15 Floats (instead of Vans which there was a shortage of at the time), very good forks.
    – Very comfy seat (brought another for the other bike)
    – Ace in singletrack…

Last years crush didn't have the QR15 forks and just didn't feel so flickable.

(this years Rocky Ridge doesn't look as good tbh)

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

what size you after as theyre sold out till late april..ive got a 15" in stock…have a look at the felt trailshot also.designed as a crush competitor..(and i can get one!) 😉 http://www.cycle-world.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b1s2p8989&z=11077

baldSpot
    Free Member

(this years Rocky Ridge doesn't look as good tbh)

whats the difference between the 2009 and 2010 bikes?

Ewan
    Free Member

Assuming they haven't changed the frame angles, then not a lot, they've changed the forks to Revs and WTMB seemed to think they'd made the stem too short (09 is a 70mm). WTMB were quite down on it this year after giving it good marks last year… i presume something has changed.

However, leaving the vaugerys of magazines aside, the reason it's not as good is because they've changed nothing (the forks are arguably a downgrade) but whacked the price up by 175.

Save yourself 300 quid and get the 09 model for a grand (noahs ark). It's fantastic.

(But change the tyres that come with it. They weigh a comical 1100g each!)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘09 Orange crush or 09 Rocky Ridge’ is closed to new replies.