Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 92 total)
  • Goodness me- 3 weeks to get ready for a 70km Sportive
  • hora
    Free Member

Crazy legs…. **** my last sportive was only 1,000m of climbing http://app.strava.com/activities/88711801

So double? Better work on my leg strength and get some night road rides in..

Protein shakes post rides?

legend
    Free Member

Your name’s Sarah?!

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

No way 1800 Metres, that’s insane!!!1! I’d def be fitting an MTB cassette, 36t minimum…

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

*Would bang.

crazy-legs

Protein shakes post rides?

No, post ride it’ll just be your legs that are shaking.
    😉

crazy-legs

1) It’s 12th April so you’ve got FIVE weeks to prepare, not three.
    2) It’s all rideable on a standard road bike although there are bits where a compact chainset would be handy and I’d go for some nice wide tyres and regular wheels rather than deep section carbon jobs.
    3) You’re never more than about 10km from the start/finish, the route is sort of clover leaf shaped so if you are really suffering, it’s easy to bail.
    4) Pace yourself and you’ll be fine. We rode it in sub 3hrs at a fairly steady cruise, I reckon if I properly went for it I could do about 2hrs.

See you there!

hora
    Free Member

Sarah? No! 25th: https://millshills.wordpress.com/about/2014-rider-times/ took it easy. Looking forward to the challenge though now 🙂

boblo
    Free Member

3 weeks? Just about enough time to sort the bike out 🙂

scaredypants

Whoa, Hora – according to those results, you did 70miles and 1000m climbing in 3hr 19 while taking it easy ? 😯

I can’t see you dying on this one, 1800m of hills or not

Dibbs
    Free Member

If it’s the Ronde van Chinley the BCF website says only 1524m of climbing.
    https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/124127/Ronde-Van-Chinley

molgrips
    Free Member

Go pro mounted backwards so we can see your face as you suffer and blub around mile 20.

hora
    Free Member

Scaredypants I signed up for the 70 but changed to the short course. The timings were placed on the wrong s/sheet as were a few others I think

scaredypants

*stops looking for Brailsford’s phone number*

🙁

molgrips
    Free Member

stops looking for Brailsford’s phone number

No, don’t. Hora could teach him a thing or two about *really* marginal gains.

BadlyWiredDog

All the joking aside, I’d have thought that someone with your regular riding background would get round just fine as long as you keep fuelled up and don’t overdo things on the early hills. None of that stuff is really steep to be honest.

Also, don’t fall into the classic trap of thinking that because you feel bad on a mountain bike, the same will be true on the road. Road cycling is much easier than mountain biking, which is why so few hardcore roadies will ride on the trails as well.

BadlyWiredDog

I went out and pottered over most of the Ronde van Chinley route yesterday on the cross bike with 28mm road tyres fitted and it’s a really cool little circuit, the odd bit of which you’ll probably recognise from mtb rides in the area.

It’s quite hilly and you could batter yourself if you went hard, but take it steady and it’ll be fine. Lots of back lanes with rough surfaces and one or two bits that are bordering on being cross bike territory. I’d go with 25s or even 28s rather than 23s and a compact chain-set unless you’re quite strong.

Should be a really nice ride and linked up a few sections I knew already with tracks that I didn’t. Good fun. I’d ride some hills in the build-up to it.

Sundayjumper

This is just another “look at me thread” by hora.

Attention-hora.

hora
    Free Member

❓ Try contributing or posting something useful yourself?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

A few years back I signed up for a 100 mile sportive and spent a lot of time agonising over whether I could ride that far or not. Looking back I can see that I fussed over nothing. As a mountain biker you already have good base cycling fitness I assume, so spend the next few weeks slowly building up the distance of your road rides. Just ride your bike, then ride it a bit further, then ride some hills, then ride a bit further. Keep increasing the mileage and the climbing over the next few weeks and you’ll have no problem. I don’t think there’s any need for science; just ride 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

How many miles did you get in at the weekend Hora? Much ascent?

richardthird

C’mon h, tell us exactly how much you’ve ridden that new bike then. And how much you rode the last one.

Can’t believe yr shitting yerself over such a poxy distance tbh after riding enough to declare the PX no good.

dragon
    Free Member

Hilarious isn’t it, most of us just get on and ride our bikes, but some people feel the need to tell the world about their pathetic non-achievements. 🙄

hora
    Free Member

How many miles did you get in at the weekend Hora? Much ascent?

3hours in the Peaks on Saturday- yesterday 3 hill climbs in Calderdale/about 2hours of riding. Tonight aiming to ride BMX indoor for the whole 2hours.

Can’t believe yr shitting yerself over such a poxy distance tbh after riding enough to declare the PX no good.

When you you experience other frames/bikes-you can spot one that has failings better. Doesn’t need mileage.

I’m a worrier by nature. After virtually 2months of little riding off road I’m on the backfoot.

dragon- don’t post then? You are not obliged to open a topic, read it or reply. I don’t profess it to be rocket science but if you started a topic I wouldn’t bother opening or replying to it.

bob_summers

I’m a worrier by nature

I don’t know the course, but my local midweek loop is same distance, maybe 100m less vertical. We use it to do guided tours for a LBS as it has a couple of bail-out points (don’t always know the level of the customers). Everyone gets round, even at 16kmh average – never had to bail out. SO no point worrying. Worry instead about how you’re gonna crack 30kmh round there next year 8)

chakaping
    Free Member

Good work.

Id aim to put some miles in on your road bike, aim for at least two hours without stopping and try to rack up 800m-plus vertical.

Then go for three hours and 1,500m-ish – then it’s only a small step to the event you’re booked on.

Bedds
    Free Member

Most of the problem is usually time in the saddle, but a 30 miler ride on the road shouldn’t be an issue, I’d look at it as nothing more than a training ride 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

Is there a GPX for it BTW? Sounds like a good route but I’m working that weekend.

nbt

it’s on strava so you can grab it from there

chakaping
    Free Member

Got it ta.

terrahawk
    Free Member

Road cycling is much easier than mountain biking, which is why so few hardcore roadies will ride on the trails as well

You’re doing it wrong mate.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Hora that looks like a good weekend. Carry on doing that and you’ll be fine. I know sitting here from the keyboard is easy but if you can up the pace gradually on the Up’s it will help no end, as said easy to say hard to do but hey. Don’t for get the rest periods.

Bunnyhop

Tuck in behind our tandem, you’ll be fine.

BadlyWiredDog

You’re doing it wrong mate.

I may – possibly – have been joking and in the process, trying to encourage Hora. Because I’m a (sort of) nice person. – ish…

bikebouy
    Free Member

I did mention earlier in the thread you needed EPO..

Just saying like.

😆

hora
    Free Member

Well yesterday was the third(ish) day in a row of riding at the BMX, my mind was very eager but my body sadly shagged.

Question- after one days riding my left quad always goes numb/weak. Why?

igm

Well having accidentally signed up for the 140km audience participation day in the Tour de Yorkshire, I did a 43 mile, 1545m “training” ride in the Peaks on Saturday.

At times I thought I was going to die, and I was still in pain starting the (flat) 2×20 mile commute yesterday. Felt better for toddling in to work and back.

It was a bit windy on Saturday though.

I’m fitting an 11-36 and making the rear mech work (9 spd XT mech if I have to).

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Question- after one days riding my left quad always goes numb/weak. Why?

Stretching, warm up, cool down?

Maybe do more bigger rides?

crazy-legs

I did the route again today – plus a massive extra hit of climbing on top. Took it to just over 10,000ft / 3100m.

My legs hurt now.
    The wind direction today was a lot better than last time though, had a tailwind or cross/tail up most of the hills.

crazy-legs

You ready then Hora?
    I rode a bit of the gravel road section yesterday on the MTB with richpips, it was bone dry but not sure what last night’s rain will have done to it. It’s quite windy here too and the direction isn’t going to be the most friendly either, I think a couple of the climbs will be right into it!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘Goodness me- 3 weeks to get ready for a 70km Sportive’ is closed to new replies.