Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • ? GASP!! 29er Full Suspension More Fun and Faster….
  • Frankers
    Free Member

Than a 26er

So says the Butcher

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Corners

Here’s the fact – there is a turn we regularly test trail bikes on. Its nickname amongst locals is ‘the turn’ (pretty imaginative). Anyway, ‘the turn’ is a slightly off-camber, 20mph foot out, flat out, ‘railer’. We could go around ‘the turn’ on our Pat’s Pyga consistently 2mph (don’t ask how we measure this, it’s very scientific and tricky to get to grips with) faster, time, after time, after time than we ever have on any 26” trail bike. This means you can go into turns faster, which means you can go around them faster, which means you come out faster. If speed is what you’re looking for then the 29er Pyga is the answer to your prayers.

and with a proper shampoo here comes the sciencey bit you couldn’t possibly understand and if we told you you would laugh…

Frankers
    Free Member

Hmmm yeah how do they know it was 2mph faster?

Sounds like a great bike

wwaswas

Funny star thing in thread title?

It’ll escalate, mark my words.

By lunchtime it’ll be images of ostriches being spilled from burning cars tumbling down hillsides.

*wanders off muttering*

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

The drawback though is that, as these bikes make things easier, smoothing things out with their bigger wheels, you have less interesting and difficult terrain in a particular area.

A trail that might have been seen as black and somewhat edgy on your hardtail might be an easy red on your 29er FS.

If you mtb for some degree of adrenaline rush, or the mental challenge of forcing you to face some difficulty, then I am not sure I see the point of moving to these bikes, they are skills compensators, you might as well just ride easier routes on your hardtail.

Gary_C

Good points well made, TurnerGuy.

Or if smooth trails are peoples ‘thing’ then go buy a road bike & stick to riding nice smooth tarmac.

BadlyWiredDog

This bike comes with two-wheel drive.

Snigger… 😉

mrblobby
    Free Member

Very good point well made TurnerGuy. It’s why my FS bike sees so little action. Keeping up with mates on their big bouncers on my HT is a lot more fun.

TooTall
    Free Member

I am not sure I see the point of moving to these bikes, they are skills compensators, you might as well just ride easier routes on your hardtail.

You ride a rigid 26″ wheeled bike with rim brakes?

wwaswas

You ride with brakes?

Lifer
    Free Member

BOOOOOOOOM!

Paceman
    Free Member

The drawback though is that, as these bikes make things easier, smoothing things out with their bigger wheels, you have less interesting and difficult terrain in a particular area.

A trail that might have been seen as black and somewhat edgy on your hardtail might be an easy red on your 29er FS.

This a bizzare argument as nobody forces you to ride a particular bike, or choose a particular trail. When I did an uplift day at Cwmcarn there were the full range of bikes and riders also enjoying run after run on the Downhill trail, ranging from guys in lycra on XC hardtails to your fully kitted-out DH riders, all enjoying the challenge – whether it was getting down alive whilst maintaining composure (us :wink:) to the guys going for times runs as quick as they could :twisted:. Mountain bikes are full of ‘skills compensating’ components as you put it; you make your choice and ride.

I suspect there’ll be some DH / Enduro riders very interested in that extra 2mph on the Pyga 29er, that’ll be the difference between a podium place and a middle of the pack finishing position for some of them, I I don’t think they’ll give a monkeys that it might have ‘made things easier, smoothing the trail out’.

I am not sure I see the point of moving to these bikes, they are skills compensators, you might as well just ride easier routes on your hardtail.

You really are very narrow minded aren’t you 😉

Some MTB skills are more difficult on a 29er. On the techy and twisty singletrack in my local woods my 26er is most definitely a skills compensator compared with my 29er. If I want a challnege I take the 29er and have fun chasing down my mates on the their 26ers.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I have a rigid 26 which could accommodate rim brakes, but I run BB7s.

Main bike is a 4inch FS (a Turner…), but soon to have built a cross bike, which should be perfect for the new smooth trails at Swinley 🙂

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I suspect there’ll be some DH / Enduro riders very interested in that extra 2mph on the Pyga 29er, that’ll be the difference between a podium place and a middle of the pack finishing position for some of them, I I don’t think they’ll give a monkeys that it might have ‘made things easier, smoothing the trail out’.

and by extension you could take PED’s, buying performance rather than earning it…

nickc

I suspect there’ll be some DH / Enduro riders very interested in that extra 2mph on the Pyga 29er

You keep using these words, I don’t think they mean what you think they mean

Paceman
    Free Member

and by extension you could take PED’s, buying performance rather than earning it…

I think you’re completely missing the point here. The DH racing scene is where the main product development in our sport is taking place to improve performance; a 2mph improvement in speed ia a huge gain.

Performance enhancing drugs have no place in this debate, or in the sport.

You keep using these words, I don’t think they mean what you think they mean

?????

mrlebowski
    Free Member

and with a proper shampoo here comes the sciencey bit you couldn’t possibly understand and if we told you you would laugh…

Exactly!

Marketing waffle – no more, no less.

But hey by all means drink the kool-aid..

oldnpastit

Are we really equating taking EPO with riding a 29er?

I guess I should hand myself in to WADA and give my Swift to the police 🙁

messiah
    Free Member

It’s getting confuddling?

Is there a new 29″ movement taking over from 650b as flavour of the month now that 650b has been shown to be little more than an overhyped and pumped up 26″? If so can we expect the new 29″ movement to again show us “once and for all” that the new 29″ is better than 26″ (and 650b of course) and the old original 29″ (which clearly had “issues” which the new 29″ movement has obviously fixed) which is why the old 29″ is evidently not as good as the new 29″; and that is why we should all be aspiring to join the new 29″ movement rather than the old clearly not as good 29″ or either of the absolutley not as good 650b and 26″ movements (perhaps it’s obvious really)?

rOcKeTdOg

People have actually fallen for this 29er malarky? 😯 *sniggers*

wwaswas

“now that 650b has been shown to be little more than an overhyped and pumped up 26”

Well WTB have stopped all development work on 26″ tyres to focus on 650B and 29″ so it maybe that either they think that 26″ tyre technology has reached it’s zenith or that they won’t now see sufficient return on investment with 26″ tyres.

nickc

Paceman, butcher isn’t saying its 2mph faster, he’s saying its more fun, and feels faster ( hence the nonsense about the science-y bit, it’s a piss take of all the marketing BS that goes on)

Ride the bike that gives most fun, and stop worrying about other folk

Frankers
    Free Member

I’d don’t care about an extra 2miles an hour but I love being quicker up and down hills than my riding mates, does that make me shallow? ?

I know your own ability is the main factor but surely the bike plays a factor

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I think you’re completely missing the point here. The DH racing scene is where the main product development in our sport is taking place to improve performance; a 2mph improvement in speed is a huge gain.

But it is not a level playing field is it if some people get a ‘free’ extra 2mph – can the guy who wins on the 29er really be happy that he is the worthy winner against the guy who was on the 26er?

It is very similar to the guy taking PEDs beating the guys who haven’t – his win is somewhat meaningless as it is not a level playing field.

Why do you thing they have formulas in motor racing?

Performance enhancing drugs have no place in this debate, or in the sport.

tell me what they differences are between buying PED’s to gain performance and buying technology to gain performance – apart from legality.

wwaswas

So what do you suggest TurnerGuy – unless you run a race series in which all riders are on the same bike and all they can do is change the tyre and suspension pressures there will always be different technological solutions in use.

Otherwise someone might run a horst link rear end others a DW link – one might be ‘better’ than the other and give an unfair advantage.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Ride the bike that gives most fun, and stop worrying about other folk

the point I was making is that they are probably other trails in the area that are as much fun on the 26er, but that particular trail rated as a bit more challenging on the 26er.

The application of technology has now converted that challenging trail into a fun trail but would also have made all the previously fun trails into routine ones, and will have therefore reduced the number of challenging trails in that area.

Exactly the same argument as why many people have gone back to hardtails to ride.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Otherwise someone might run a horst link rear end others a DW link – one might be ‘better’ than the other and give an unfair advantage.

maybe there needs to be a formula scheme in mtb.

If I am competing against someone I would like to know that I was actually better, or not, than them, not that technology was giving me an advantage.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

as the measurement cant be explained the the 2mph is a total crock of poo really. No to get all science on people but it sounds like marketing BS.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

And if you are not competing why choose the bike that gives you a smaller range of fun areas to ride?

Who has the most fun on country roads – the guy driving the mini cooper S or the guy driving the Maserati, assuming that they both stay within legal speeds?

GaryLake
    Free Member

You really don’t get the doping thing at all do you? It’s bad for your health and the effects aren’t equal or guaranteed in everyone that does it. Last I checked, 29ers might not be cool with kids still but that’s about as detrimental to your health as it gets, and that 2mph is arguably the same for anyone that sits on it.

The test might be a bit outlandish and a bogus claim, but comparing it to PEDs is a bit daft.

wwaswas

If I am competing against someone I would like to know that I was actually better, or not, than them,

I’d start doing running races.

Even in Formula races the only person you can truly compete with on equal terms is someone running an identical car to you. Look at F1 – the drivers most want to beat their team mates because they’re running the same kit and it’s a one to one thing. All the other drivers you’re competing with their car and team as well as the individual at the wheel.

LoCo
    Free Member

Last I checked, 29ers might not be cool with kids still but that’s about as detrimental to your health as it gets,

It’s the big (clown) shoes that are the issue quite easy to trip over though 😉

wwaswas

There is a formula for DH mtbing, anyway;

1) No engines

2) all riders should have Y-fronts on to avoid any underpant related advantage being found. Even the girls.

Euro
    Free Member

Looks like the perfect bike for some, and a bit too much or not enough for others.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

2) all riders should have Y-fronts on to avoid any underpant related advantage being found. Even the girls.

downhill girls in y fronts woo hoo

(oops public forum)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If you mtb for some degree of adrenaline rush, or the mental challenge of forcing you to face some difficulty, then I am not sure I see the point of moving to these bikes, they are skills compensators, you might as well just ride easier routes on your hardtail.

No, you just ride the same trails faster, letting out your inner 5yr old and shout weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Having said that I’ve done laps of Swinely on my BMX, fun, but slower and brutally painfull.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

A bike is a bike, yawn, shut up and ride ffs. 😉

LoCo
    Free Member

I was having this conversation about wheel size with a race organiser the other day, bigger wheels not being fair as gives an advantage on some tracks.
    But this is applicable to pretty much any component on the bikes, a fox 40/Boxxer WC is going to be alot better than a budget pogo stick dh fork the same goes for shocks, rear linkages,frames etc

So the only way to make it ‘fair’ is to have everyone on the same bike and kit and then you could argue that the taller riders have an advantage as they have more stability at speed due to the long wheelbase.

The arguement can go on and on

emac65
    Free Member

Who has the most fun on country roads – the guy driving the mini cooper S or the guy driving the Maserati, assuming that they both stay within legal speeds?

Having driven both,the Maserati guy by far,it’s about cubes mannnn…
    Neither were mine…
    Most fun car was an Aston Martin DB5 in the wet,power sliding round the corners..That wasn’t mine either…I was young carefree & a little bit reckless ….

ndthornton
    Free Member

Dont people get it – All these new standards are just a way to extract yet more money from us poor folk. You get your bikes all nice and just how you like them and wham! suddenly your wheels are the wrong size. I just upgraded my whole drive train to 10sp just so I could buy a clutch rear mech – more fool me. No soon as Id done that I find out my wheels are the wrong size – would you believe it, all these years and I never new!!

Well Im calling a hault – Im not jumping on this bandwagon…. Im going to dig a big hole and fill it with a lifetimes supply of 26″ tyres, tubes, spokes and rims.

Viva la Revolution!

psssst – 29ers look gay anyway
    tee hee

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘? GASP!! 29er Full Suspension More Fun and Faster….’ is closed to new replies.