by Ben Haworth
May 31, 2012
Stockport-based Renthal have raced the Singletrack Classic Weekender in previous years (see ‘rider profile’ below) and they enjoyed themselves so much that for this year’s event they’ve kindly donated some ‘spot prizes’. The prize categories and prizes are as follows…
Category: Furthest person up the trials hill climb on single speed.
Prize: Renthal chainring of your choice.
Category: Narrowest handlebars.
Prize: Renthal handlebar of your choice.
Category: Campest XC attire.
Prize: Renthal tee shirt (size small).
Category: Best near, but not quite crash.
Prize: Renthal Duo stem.
Shimano Singletrack Classic Weekender Rider Profile: Ian Collins (Renthal UK)
1. What’s your name?
2. What’s your job?
Renthal Cycle Products Marketing Manager
3. How long have you been racing bikes?
First race was a Cheddar Challenge way back in 1989?
4. What’s the best bit(s) about The Shimano Singletrack Classic Weekender?
It’s just like one of the old school NEMBA events. A bit of everything.
5. What’s the worst bit(s) about The Shimano Singletrack Classic Weekender?
6. What’s your favourite aspect of The Shimano Singletrack Classic Weekender?
The fact the sun shines all weekend. Guaranteed.
7. What sections of The Shimano Singletrack Classic Weekender were your strengths?
Being an old school downhiller, probably the DH race.
8. What sections of The Shimano Singletrack Classic Weekender were your weaknesses?
Any trials section that required not falling in water.
9. Any pet hates?
10. What are you never seen without?
11. Website you visit the most?
www.renthalcycling.com of course.
12. What one thing would you rescue from your burning house?
My little boy, after making sure the Wife has got out on her own.
13. Favourite place to race?
Lee Quarry YEAH!
14. Most impressive cycling injury?
Dislocated ankle. Ouch.
15. What’s your desired super power?
Immunity to head winds.
16. What was the last bike race you did?
Manchester to Salford against that b*****d fast commuter with panniers.
17. What is the next bike race you’ll do?
18. What are your expectations for this year’s Shimano Singletrack Classic Weekender?
Sun, awesome trails, a light-hearted competitive spirit and free beer for all competitors.
Read more about the Weekender format and stuff – www.singletrackworld.com/weekender
Lee Quarry, Lancashire, July 14-15, 2012
A weekend of Trials, Downhill and XC racing
Three different races .
The ultimate “all rounder” event
Only £40 for the whole weekend!
Includes camping and entry to all three events.
Each race MUST be completed on the SAME BIKE.