• This topic has 15,382 replies, 380 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Caher.
Viewing 40 posts - 2,321 through 2,360 (of 15,383 total)
  • Zwift, my journey, my weight and my fitness.
  • slowpuncheur
    Free Member

I did a ride on the London course last night intending to ride up Box Hill. For some reason, I didn’t make the correct turn and ended up doing the long road to Tower Bridge (dull) and doing it backwards (Fox Hill). Then clicked the left button at bottom of decent to take me back into London and ended up going up Box Hill. So, unintended hill reps which worked out a bit of a killer but PB for Box Hill which leaves me slap bang mid table in the STW league. I agree, following someone up there really does give an incentive.

I suppose my question is, how the hell do I navigate without getting intimately familiar with the course and storing it to memory banks..? If ever single driving game on a computer has a little route map in the corner of the screen, why can’t Zwift?

mrchrispy

I’m dropping down the box hill ranking so fast my ears are popping.

Try a USB extention cable if you are getting ANT+ dropouts amazon linky

epicsteve
    Free Member

I seem to be way off the pace on Box Hill, kinda mirrors IRL for me. Is it still London course tomorrow? If it is i might see if I can bring my time down a bit.

Performance on other segments (Zwift and real world) indicates you should be a bit quicker than me on that climb.

I’m probably not back Zwift until next week now – actually planning real world rides at the weekend if it’s not to icy!

epicsteve
    Free Member

I suppose my question is, how the hell do I navigate without getting intimately familiar with the course and storing it to memory banks..? If ever single driving game on a computer has a little route map in the corner of the screen, why can’t Zwift?

I haven’t tried navigating yet – I just pick a route at the start that has the bits I want in it. Can you turn etc. from the Mobilelink app? I have that within reach when on the Turbo but not my laptop.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Try a USB extention cable if you are getting ANT+ dropouts amazon linky

Last night was the first time it happened to me but given where it happened (halfway up box hill) then spending a fiver to sort it out seems like a bargain!

cheers_drive

weeksy – Member
    Average HR 167 for me… MAx of 173 for it….

My absolute max is just under 180…. so should give you an idea of how hard i was trying.

Average of 287W with a max of 323w
    Our ont the STW leader board our respective power for the Box hill is identical, the few seconds s difference must just me your extra weight (I’m 94kg, IIRC you’re a little more). It’s my first attempt and I’d already ridden half the KISS race so reckon I can do more.

cheers_drive

how the hell do I navigate

i just picked the London loop from the drop down. Gives a few miles to warm up

NZCol

My Flow Smart sounds like a bag of bones after 2 rides, I’ll wait until it disintegrates across my garage. In the meantime I’ll turn the music up !

jam-bo

Can you turn etc. from the Mobilelink app? I have that within reach when on the Turbo but not my laptop.

yes. on the controls page (swipe from the power stats page) when you approach a turn then you get a turn left or turn right button. you have to hold them for a bit sometimes to get it to register.

cheers_drive

My Flow Smart sounds like a bag of bones after 2 rides

Same here, sounds awful, almost enough for me to want to go back to my old silent dumb trainer

epicsteve
    Free Member

Same here, sounds awful, almost enough for me to want to go back to my old silent dumb trainer

I’m getting so much noise from the bike at the moment (the drivetrain is close to knackered so my weekend job is replacing most of it) that I can’t hear if my Flow is making any funny noises!

theotherjonv

I’m languishing in the basement of the Box Hill climb, at 12:something.

Might have to give it a full on beans effort tomorrow morning, see if i can at least get into the 10’s. Bucket on standby.

{just checked – 12:08, I need to take 90s off that time to make even 3 places up. Gotta have a dream though…..}

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

i just picked the London loop from the drop down. Gives a few miles to warm up

That was my problem. I had a crisis of confidence about which to pick – couldn’t remember. I now know the Loop includes Box Hill and the Classique doesn’t. Fail to prepare….

mossimus
    Free Member

Have a look at this

mossimus
    Free Member

Performance on other segments (Zwift and real world) indicates you should be a bit quicker than me on that climb.

I’m probably not back Zwift until next week now – actually planning real world rides at the weekend if it’s not to icy!

Some of those RW PBs might well be from a couple of years back!

I am pecilling in a 100km outside ride for next weekend, weather and life permitting.

zilog6128

There are some good PDF maps on the ZwiftBlog site. Print em out or download them to a tablet so they’re handy for navigating until you learn what & where the turns are. Also shows the various loops/routes you can select.

b1gf00t
    Free Member

7th place for me, I would like to improve but 7 minutes at 310w is my limit although that was set in September, am I any fitter now?

Probably doing the WBR ride at 09:00 tomorrow, I could try warming up on Box Hill for it but I don’t think I can improve much.

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

Mossimus. Thanks for the ZwiftMap link. I’ll give that a go tonight or tomorrow. 🙂

alp_girl
    Free Member

Grrrrrr!!! Complete fail today:

The Zwift launcher crashed every time after I logged in and selected “ride” (I even uninstalled and reinstalled it! and let it do an update that took ages!) 👿 👿

Then I decided to just ride on my Tacx Flow 2240 and listen to a podcast, but all of a sudden the trainer started making a huge racket (a kind of ratchety, clicking noise, no matter what speed/effort I used). I recalibrated it twice, but that made no difference.

Bad day or is my equipment all broken????

onewheeltoofew
    Free Member

It must be a day for equipment failure. I managed to get TWO punctures this morning while trying to get a zwift ride in…grrrr

epicsteve
    Free Member

It must be a day for equipment failure. I managed to get TWO punctures this morning while trying to get a zwift ride in…grrrr

How on earth did you manage to get two punctures on the turbo trainer..?

nathb
    Free Member

I’ve had a puncture on Zwift, patched it. Got another 10 mins into it and the valve went. 😆

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’ve had a puncture on Zwift, patched it. Got another 10 mins into it and the valve went.

With your output you’ve probably overheated the tyre…

buenfoxa
    Free Member

Anyone had issues on their T2240 Flow trainer not changing resistance whilst hooked up to Zwift running on an ipad? Re started trainer and ipad but it didn’t work.

Trainer is only a month or so old.

weeksy

I have to say, reading all these posts, the T2240 isn’t looking to be quite the bargain we first thought is it ?

mrchrispy

I managed to get TWO punctures this morning while trying to get a zwift ride in…grrrr

Gotta laugh as messing up a virtual ride with a real world puncture

/pleased with direct drive trainer 🙂

buenfoxa
    Free Member

weeksy – Member
    I have to say, reading all these posts, the T2240 isn’t looking to be quite the bargain we first thought is it ?

Quite! Worked great for the first month – didn’t use it for a week and now the resistance isn’t changing – strange really. At first I thought it was the fact I was using an iPad but I remembered that I’d done two rides on the iPad with no problems before.

Maybe it’s time to go and get a replacement.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Quite! Worked great for the first month – didn’t use it for a week and now the resistance isn’t changing – strange really. At first I thought it was the fact I was using an iPad but I remembered that I’d done two rides on the iPad with no problems before.

Maybe it’s time to go and get a replacement.

Might be worth checking to see whether you can change resistance using the Tacx app first. I’ve had a couple of rides where the resistance wasn’t changing but I’m not convinced whether it was a Tacx issue or a Zwift one.

buenfoxa
    Free Member

@epicsteve – can you do that on the Tacx Utility App? Is it the Testing Dashboard?

jam-bo

is it paired as a power source or a controllable trainer.

mine appeared to forget the controllable trainer pairing last week but i was in the middle of a race before I realised. re-pair it and control came back.

buenfoxa
    Free Member

is it paired as a power source or a controllable trainer.

mine appeared to forget the controllable trainer pairing last week but i was in the middle of a race before I realised. re-pair it and control came back.

Good shout – will take a look at that aswell.

nathb
    Free Member

I think Tacx’s quality control isn’t the best. Even the Neo at £1k isn’t ultra reliable.

My Vortex took 2 boxes of vortex’s before I managed to assemble a working unit, using parts from both. It’s a bit creaky at the moment too.

Just realised I’ve made a stupid error. Zwift has been using the stages power meter for power and the vortex for cadence… Didn’t realise the stages could also do cadence, hoping my power increases slightly now back to where it used to be. 😳

jam-bo

why would cadence reading affect the power reading?

alp_girl
    Free Member

I think Tacx’s quality control isn’t the best. Even the Neo at £1k isn’t ultra reliable.

My Vortex took 2 boxes of vortex’s before I managed to assemble a working unit, using parts from both. It’s a bit creaky at the moment too.

I managed to track down the noise to the motor housing – it seems it’s “split” ever so slightly; it was clipped together with some very small looking plastic ridges and only screwed together on one side. Nothing is broken, but the plastic ridges won’t clip together completely any more.

I’m planning to take it back to Halfords and ask for a replacement – best to take everything and disassemble it I guess? Or leave assembled to demonstrate problem?

Very annoyed 👿

theotherjonv

I guess because power is a function of both how hard you press the pedal but also how often.

(hyperbole) You might have the force of an bull but if you’re only cranking twice a minute you still won’t be travelling far.

If the cadence coming off the turbo isn’t correct (and i don’t know how it works it out, maybe by measuring subtle differences in the power stroke and converting that) then even if the torque measured on the crank is right the overall calc won’t be right.

NB not an engineer hence may have misused some terms, but you know what i mean

mrblobby
    Free Member

Just realised I’ve made a stupid error. Zwift has been using the stages power meter for power and the vortex for cadence… Didn’t realise the stages could also do cadence, hoping my power increases slightly now back to where it used to be.

The Stages will always be using its own cadence sensor combined with torque from its strain gauges to work out power. Having Zwift use a different cadence sensor makes no difference to the reported power.

jam-bo

thats what I thought, it’ll just be the number that gets recorded in zwift/strava. power is power.

nathb
    Free Member

That’s my thought process too! When I was pedaling last night my cadence was erratic even though I was at a consistent cadence, so clearly somethings going wrong now I’m not using the vortex for both measurements as it used to be consistent.

I haven’t really read up on this so I’m a bit clueless/stabbing in the dark here. 😆

epicsteve
    Free Member

@epicsteve – can you do that on the Tacx Utility App? Is it the Testing Dashboard?

It’s not in the utility app – it’s in the Training app (not that I’ve used that yet!).

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’ve tried both my 4iiii power meter for power in Zwift and also the readings from the T2240 – they seem close enough that it doesn’t matter which is used. I have Zwift getting cadence from the power meter though – mainly ’cause I can’t quite get my head around how the T2240 would know that (although it does seem reasonably accurate at working it out). Even more confusingly I’ve also got a Garmin speed & cadence sensor on the bike however I’ve turned that off for the moment.

Viewing 40 posts - 2,321 through 2,360 (of 15,383 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.