• This topic has 15,382 replies, 380 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Caher.
Viewing 40 posts - 10,241 through 10,280 (of 15,383 total)
  • Zwift, my journey, my weight and my fitness.
  • DavidB
    Free Member

Hi zwift experts. I’m new to this. Just got a Kickr Core and connected up to Zwift. I’ve done one workout successfully and am looking for something that will simulate a decent 30mins to hour climbing. Was going to go up the Alpe D’Uez but you need to be level 12.

Anything else you recommend I can look at as a noob (but a pretty fit climber)

weeksy

The Watopia KOM/Mountain climb is fairly hefty… It’s a good 30mins up..

tomlevell

Yes Epic KOM route all the way to the viewpoint.

I think if you pick the Pretzl route it takes you there. The reverse Epic KOM is also good but you have to navigate your own way to it.

If it’s London, which I think it is today, There’s a good climbing route. Probably Surrey Hills which throws you up all 4 big climbs. Not 30 minutes at a time but a solid 15+ on 2 of them.

blader1611
    Free Member

Did the morning grind race this morning and i reckon that was the hardest race i have done this year. I had my highest avg hr for a race (168) and highest avg watts for a race (301w) and even got a 4th overall achievement on one segment. It was 10 laps of Laguardia and i was with the front group all the way but got dropped 400m from the finish when i just imploded. I was utterly ruined by the end and a bit light headed.

weeksy

Stage 4 today, box hill loop X3.

I took it really easy on lap1, just 220w up it and cruising, didn’t pass 145bpm, but went from 170/254 and crested at 158/254. Caught 3-5 riders with an aero and holding 240w on the down. Then sat with them until the 2nd Box hill, went 35s quicker up it at about 235-245w or so, again with a little surge on the kick after the banner I made up some places and was down about 140/254.
    Lap 3 I closed a few more riders and we had a group of 4 at start of Box. This was the final lap so a bit more in there, legs felt good so was about 300w up and reeled in quite a few.

Good chase on the closing few km and the escalator then into tower bridge, finished about 120/254 on the road, which for a hilly layout I really can’t complain too much about.

Legs tired now and right knee needs a day or 3 off but stage 5 on Friday I assume and then some time off as we’re away for a few days

https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=107823

dirtyrider
    Free Member

few days off, been so busy, busier than i’d have liked, self inflicted, and it maddens me at the missed opportunity sometimes, i get mardy and need to pull my head out my arse and remember its just riding in my kitchen 🙂 , no races around the time i could jump on today, so did a lap of Greatest London Loop forward, PR round the loop and a PR up Leith nowt much else to report, kids break up tomorrow, god help me,

nathb
    Free Member

Only done the road to sky race once, never again it was brutal! https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=66109

Curiosity got the better of me the other day, mainly to benchmark myself with a few carrots to chase as I’ve been trying (and failing) to stick to my TrainerRoad plan…

13th place and a new FTP of 317w https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=112927 Confirms I’m no where near this time last year…

So I’m now trying to rebuild for the BC Zwift races next year, anyone else looking to try them out?

nixie

14 laps (YAAAWWWNN) of the Laguardia Loop for the EVR race last night. 30s of warm up was not good and I really struggled for the first 10-15 minutes till my legs woke up. Just tried to get my head down and concentrate on spinning rather than big pushes. Seemed to work an after a while I started to feel OK. The field wasn’t big, only 5/6 As and maybe 20 Bs. As this was a double draft event pulling away was not possible. Best I could manage was applying pressure by us of power ups and uphill half sprints to try and knock a few off. The lead group was rather large all the way to the end. I wasn’t feeling particularly sprinty but had been testing the field on the uphill before the banner. The best option looked to be to go early then hard up the hill. Gold was clearly not on given who else was in the field but I thought a rare cup was there for the taking. Seems a couple of other As had the same idea and as we hit the last ramp three of us pulled away at the top. As it hit the top gears I started to get some chain skipping, though if I’m honest the other two had me beaten by then. I kept the power as high as I could and cross the line just in fourth (after one B caught me on the line! grr). ZP gives me a (bronze) but if you look at the detail this really was a low effort race with my 95% figure at 3.7W/kg and a much lower average HR than usual. Was nice to see my average cadence was the highest ever, maybe that work is paying off.

https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=115574

Has anyone else noticed you only get a power up every other lap on Laguardia Loop?

Vortexracing

Been reading this thread for a while and have decided to give it a go.

Off to Merlin tonight to buy a 4iiii Viiiiva ANT+/Bluetooth heartrate strap/bridge, so I can use my LeMond trainer with it’s Wattbox.

Now I will be using an Ipad mini on an tablet mount (probably a Tacx one) Plus my Iphone in companion mode on the bars.

My only question I need to ask of you guys is, is it OK viewing it on an Ipad mini? or does it need a bigger screen?

Ta

Dave

Oh and forgot to ask this, can you add your own FTP into it? or do you have to do it on Zwift? The only reason I ask is that I usally do the CTS one ie 2 x 8min with a 10 mins rest.

scaredypants

You can put in your own FTP but it would only matter if you were doing training plans – for racing it’ll look at your race power (w/kg over 20 min) and penalise you if you’re in too low a group

iPad – depends on your eyes. I have a 36″ telly and I still can’t read messages or the map properly 🙁

Vortexracing

iPad – depends on your eyes. I have a 36″ telly and I still can’t read messages or the map properly

bugger !! thats not good then 🙁

I do have a 24″ TV that I could use but it only has VGA input, I think you can get an adapter for Lightning to VGA, that may be a bettter solution, if the quality is OK that is.

bigdean

Finished the 6wk FTP builder. Final ride was a free ride, God I hate the London world (or need to sort the trainer setting).
    Some totals:
    Total time: 28hrs 40min 36sec
    Total MTRS climbed: 8030 meters (I did deliberately choose hilly routes)
    Total calories burned: 13025 calories

I now need to get used to spinning and using gears for effectively in rides.

blader1611
    Free Member

I use an ipad mini and find it fine but my eyes are ok. In all honesty the important bit is being able to see the riders in front of you and the course ahead and that can be seen easily even on an iphone. The next thing worth seeing is your output and that is in a big blue box so you cant really miss that either. Power ups are big and easy to spot, Everything else on the screen doesnt really matter in the grand scheme of things.

scaredypants

vortex, you can log into zwift and choose to watch another rider or ride without pairing any devices. That way you can find out what/whether you can see what you need to before you get on the bike

scaredypants

Just had my arse kicked in the CHOP race, classique x4. Bs won it but I got dumped up ?horseguards hill on the penultimate lap. Shame, i was pretty comfortable everywhere else but I’m back on after 10 days of very little riding so happy enough overall.

weeksy

Welcome back. Chops are hard.

scaredypants

I’d say chops are weird too, weeksy – you’re supposed to be working together (right?) but there seemed to be quite a bit of trying to break up the bunch, even early on

Had my first proper wheelsucker too – I ended up with a pair of Cs who we caught and got dropped at the same time as me from the front group. One of them put up a message saying “stick together” and then bloody sat on the wheel all the time. I tried to make him work a bit by letting the other lad get ahead and then chasing him hard – wheelsucker was pretty strong and reeled us back in every time, though I broke them both in the end and rode in “alone”, chasing another guy (presumably a C too, since he wasn’t on my radar) who shot past us not long before the finish

Vortexracing

vortex, you can log into zwift and choose to watch another rider or ride without pairing any devices. That way you can find out what/whether you can see what you need to before you get on the bike

cheers, i’ll try that first

weeksy

I’ve done a few like that but a few where chat and tactics are perfect.

Saving my legs today for the final tour stage tomorrow.

scaredypants

weeksy, when you say “chat” is that discord or something like it?
    Might need to look into that; never used it

weeksy

Nah just text based in game chat.

I’ve had discord a few times but can’t listen to music then.

scaredypants

there is NO WAY I could type while racing

at

all

nixie

I barely can in the companion app. Have to be careful not to drop off the back while doing it.

nathb
    Free Member

That was so frustrating.. just done the Tour of London Stage 5 with Weeksy. 200+ A riders started, my aim was to be in the top 10. The group was quickly narrowed down to 20 riders and individuals kept being shelled out. I was sitting very comfortably, legs working well with heart rate under control. On the second lap going up the initial bit of box hill disaster! While I was sprinting my turbo had moved slightly and pulled its plug out! Had to hop off and reconnect it, there went the lead group. So with 12km to go it was down to a TT. I had a gap of 80 seconds from the chasing group, this quickly dwindled down until eventually with 700m!!!!! to go I was caught. Sprint finish saw me cross the line in 13th, or 11th according to Zwiftpower. So annoying that without the plug coming out I could have got my top 10!!

https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=107842

I put pics on strava to prove it moved too haha: https://www.strava.com/activities/2027939650

weeksy

Stage 5 today. Long and a weird course that feels more up than down.even though you start and finish at same point each lap.

Went off with a fairly speedy group and just hung in. Lost some wheels out in Surrey hills but overall I did ok.
    Last 4km I nearly got dropped so hit my aero and ended up gapping 10 riders and sitting on a fast wheel. He then dragged us to the line with a 10s advantage over them. I didn’t contest sprint with him, gave him a leadout then cruised the last 200m.

Glad the tour is over. Was interesting to ride longer harder days than usual for me

https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=107842

blader1611
    Free Member

Nice riding chaps. Nathb i managed a top ten, finished 7th in B out of 162 but i wish i had sprinted for the line but didnt seem any point and got passed by 3 or 4 riders. This ride took me passed 6000 miles for the year.

weeksy

Different world to me Nath.

I’ve just about recovered now 🙂

Sadly my lad threw a chain up on the Ridgeway about 45 mins ago “Dadddy, my chain is not working, can you come and get me…”

Sheesh, just what i needed that !

Vortexracing

Well we are well and truly sorted

Lemond Revolution with Wattbox – Check
    Ipad Mini – Check
    Tacx Ipad holder – Check
    4iii Ant+/Bluetooth HR strap – check
    £12.99 to Zwift – Check

All paired and up and running (Eventually) and off we go 🙂

let’s hope it fends off this Chrimbo gluttony 🙁

thecaptain
    Free Member

I find iPad is fine for visibility/functionality (even a mini) but we’ve got a spare old monitor and the larger screen is much more immersive (set up with a spare laptop, not tried connecting from the iPad). So we’ve now got that set up permanently in the conservatory which is a perfect icebox for training this time of year (most of the year in fact).

scaredypants

Ouch !
    Just had a festive early lunchtime blat round the laguardia. Definitely NOT a climbers’ circuit and possibly my favourite venue but makes for a hard, hard race. I did well, for me, eventually lost the very front on the penultimate lap’s “climb” but stuck in with a quick bunch.
    They seemed stronger than me so went at about 8-900m to go, with an aero and was pushing hard. Got a 2 sec lead but 4 or 5 came back past, also on aeros.
    Good fun, and a new PB for 5min and 20 min power.
    Not sure I’ll be on top form for the village carol service 🙄 tonight – might sneak a nap in !

Vortexracing

Can someone recommend a first go on Zwift course/race for me please?

I don’t fancy reading through 257 pages to see if it’s been recommended before 🙁

scaredypants

what do you like – climbs, crits, … ?
    go to https://www.zwiftpower.com/ ** and have a look at what’s on offer (the little tobleroney triangles in a column off to the right show how hilly it’ll be
    Or, if you really want to know the course, https://zwiftinsider.com/route-details/

Pick a distance and jump on
    **(I find the zwiftpower lists easier to browse but the companion phone app much easier for seeing how many folk are signed up, and also easier for joining a race in advance)

Once you’ve entered, start zwift as normal some time before the race and just ride around (if you’re lucky you might get a useful power-up when you pass under a banner that you can keep for the race). There’ll be a button offering you “join this event now” but if you ignore that you’ll be automatically taken to the start pen a few minutes before it starts anyway.

… and do lots of power on the start of the race (I’m a B and always need 400+ watts from 5 seconds before the start, just to stay in the initial lead group and it’s hard for at least the first minute or so)

Vortexracing

By eck that was hard, only managed 1 lap of the WBR 2 Lap Astoria Line 8 Race 🙁

Scaredypants, I tried your tip of powering up 5 secs before the start, but I only lasted 100yrds !! and they shot past me.

Well must keep trying

224 watts average @ 70kg puts me right on the border of group C and group B, (3.2W/Kg) TBH the fact that I only managed 1 lap tells me I’m definitely more C than B.

Kryton57

Sat in the Kiss endurance 2h 2.5-3w/kg today instead of going out in the rain. After 6 weeks if Vo2max/power build intervals I thought I might tire, but sat comfortably with 3 then later 8 riders in the second group. The group worked well together with most riders taking turns, some through and off etc.

Missed 2 riders going away with 2 mins to go but then it wasn’t really a race. Happy to average 210w over 2 hours within Z2.

First time I’ve done a proper ride with a virtual trainer and Zwift companion also, and had a good time discovering the joys of both living up a winter turbo session.

mikey74
    Free Member

Can you just ride by yourself or do you have to enter races?

dc2.0

You can:

A) just pootle round on your own
    B) follow a structured training plan (but carried out in the Zwift world)
    c) join one of the many social rides at various paces.
    D) race

nathb
    Free Member
    weeksy

Doesn’t count, they’re not races lol

scaredypants

Vortexracing
    224 watts average @ 70kg puts me right on the border of group C and group B, (3.2W/Kg) TBH the fact that I only managed 1 lap tells me I’m definitely more C than B.

I’m not sure what the “racing” in vortexracing means but unless it’s bike racing my money’s on you being 3.5 at least, once you’ve learnt to suffer (and also you’ll learn to draft better and that power will work better for you)

Well done nath

robbo1234biking

Did a double draft test race tonight. Couldnt really test it though as there was only 8 riders in Cat D. One guy went of quick so I raced to keep up with him and felt pretty good and managed to get ahead and built up a 40 second lead before we hit the 3 climbs at the end. Then I was gradually caught by 2 other riders and came in first (my weigght wasnt helping me up the climbs).

https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=118291

Came in 3rd although ZP has me as 2nd. With the new app I can see less and less people signing up to ZP though as they can see results there now.

Looking at my hear rate I seem to spend most of my time in Z4. I thought Z4 doesnt really help from a training/fitness perspective but dont think I can race any other way!

Viewing 40 posts - 10,241 through 10,280 (of 15,383 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.