Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Zulu physio advice…
  • crikey
    Free Member

SBZ, or any others of the physio persuasion; got a proper stiff/sore neck which seems to be related to the connection between my right shoulder blade and my spine. Any ideas how to stretch that particular area?

Got lots of time to stretch and mobilise it, but I don’t really know the best way. I’ve tried the old tennis ball on the pressure points trick which helps a bit..

thomthumb
    Free Member

i’m not a physio.

so go see a real one.

HTH

crikey
    Free Member

Thanks thom.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i was genuine. i had a lot of issues with the shoulder blade area after being knocked off the bike by a dozy driver.

It’s a difficult one to stretch.

I can’t describe the stretch i was prescribed; sit on a chair cross the legs. top leg parallel to floor and the knee at 90°. align the arm with the leg. then extend from the shoulder blade.

if that makes any sense!!

crikey
    Free Member

That does make sense, and yes, it’s really difficult to stretch… I’m just seeing if SBZ can offer any advice.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Lots of Jumping – its great for your neck and back muscles!

Hope that helps 😀

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

You got any more details? Had any crashes or anything similar lately? Emergency stops or anything like that? Quite often a pain like that comes from a rib that isnt moving properly.

crikey
    Free Member

Crashes? Millions and millions over the years, but nothing that specific recently. It seems to come on after road riding/cyclocross stuff, so is related to my position, but I only get it when I’m on nights, so riding followed by sleeping seems to fix it all in one position then it gets sore, then I don’t/can’t stretch it so it carries on.

I know I could look at my position on the bike, but to be honest I’m too set in my ways now to be fannying about so I need to be able to deal with it as it stands.

The fact that it is one sided; just the right side is probably related to previous crashes, but I really need to be able to stretch it out.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Here’s a stretch to try anyway. Elbows by your sides, hands by your shoulders as if you’re doing a curl. Pull your shoulders down using whatever muscles you can. Then try and get the back of your hands to touch while the front of your hand is still touching your shoulder.

EDIT: Then when you’ve taken that as far as you can lift your elbows out in front of you.

crikey
    Free Member

yes, can feel that working…

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Alternately, squeeze your shoulder blades together for a few seconds as tight as you can and get the muscles to relax that way.

Have edited the last stretch a wee bit to make it more effective.

crikey
    Free Member

Cheers fella, that’s me scrunching and stretching for the next 14 hours at work!

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

No bother. See the edit for a wee change to make it more effective.

crikey
    Free Member

😉

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Zulu physio advice…’ is closed to new replies.