Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 556 total)
  • Zone 2 on a turbo trainer…
  • weeksy

I personally think the people who bemoan turbo work are over-hyping how exciting riding is fullstop

I think you’re doing the wrong riding outside in that case.

Trails are awesome!

crosshair
    Free Member

But you’re still just sat on a saddle pedalling your bike.

Fun trails are a place to *spend* your fitness. Roads and turbo are a place to accumulate it 😉

john_l
    Free Member

There is a certain irony in people that don’t like endurance training complaining that they can’t stay within endurance zones on mtb rides ;o)

weeksy

But you’re still just sat on a saddle pedalling your bike

Maybe that’s how you see it, based upon some of your riding by numbers I also see that too. But trust me, it bears no resemblance to my rides. Whether I’m fast, slow, fit, fat, doesn’t change the enjoyment I get from riding outdoors.

molgrips
    Free Member

Trails are awesome!

People training are talking about 6-10hrs a week. Now, I dunno about where you live but after a few years at that rate my rides get pretty samey.

I’m sure most of us really do enjoy riding outside on good trails, but targetted training is a different activity and chances are you’ll be trying to fit both in. I’m sure footballers enjoy football, but they don’t just play six football matches a week, do they? It’s specific training during the week then a match at weekends.

weeksy

I wasn’t denying that, the point made was that they’re both just sitting on a bike pedalling, which I completely disagreed with.

I do a lot of Zwift for various reasons, but it’s so not riding a bike

I think I’m on 29,000kms on Zwift.

john_l
    Free Member

It is literally, riding a bike

weeksy

In the same way as I’m not a fighter pilot, or a Lego superhero or am F1 driver, it’s not cycling

It’s sort of riding a bike. But not

scotroutes

Yeah, I sort of get that. It’s a different form of exercise that just happens to use most of the same muscles, in a very similar way.

Mine certainly isn’t a bike. For a start, it only has one wheel 😉

jameso

Zwift is to cycling what Mario Kart is rally driving?

crosshair
    Free Member

@weeksy If you spent all the time you spend on Zwift on local trails, you’d get bored.

But if you want to get stronger at pedalling a bike, you need to pedal a bike, a lot, mostly in Z2.

So, instead of looking at the turbo with disdain- look at it as a hugely efficient tool. A means to an end. A place to tick off the hour’s so that when you do get to play fun bikes, pedalling is easy and not a chore.

When Rich and I came over and we went off with you on the local gravel- was that any different than how you ‘enjoy riding the trails?’ because I was still riding to numbers *and* enjoying the trails? 😀

Last night I hit the lanes for some easy Z2. Yes it was a little cooler than the dining room and there was a bit of fun steering on wet leaves occasionally but to all intents and purposes it was the same as if I’d done it on the turbo. Same cadence, same power, same duration, listening to the same podcast 🤷🏻‍♂️
    I mean, I like where we live but it’s no Makuri island is it 🤣🤣

I could hop on my mtb, Z2 to Swinley, do a lap of blue and red, then ride home again.
    Would that be training, fun on trails or what? because ultimately it would mostly still be just sitting in a saddle pedalling a bike 🤣🤣

(In all seriousness I must make time to do that- it’s been on my list of fun things to do for over a year!).

molgrips
    Free Member

I can’t ride z2 easily around here. There are open roads but they are all fast main roads; the nice riding roads are all far too steep up and down to maintain z2.

Haze

Zwift is to cycling what Mario Kart is rally driving?

I said years ago they should release a Mario Kart inspired map…complete with banana skins and all that

DrP

Yesterday i hopped on the turbo and did a custom workout..10 min warmup…60min at zone 2 (according to power..185 watts to an FTP of 285), then 5 min cool down.

Watched a shite netflix film and ticked off one of the new Makuri island routes!

My HR, according to garmin and strava, was 50% z1, 50% z2…. ergo, I guess I need to raise the HR a tad in order to actually be in zone 2, right?! So….more wattage needed i guess!

DrP

Kryton57

more wattage needed i guess!

Your FTP is roughly the same as mine, FWIW I ride Z2 at 200-210.

DrP

Cool… i guess when working with POWER, it may not always tally with the expected HR zones…

Will up the wats to 200..
    My plan is to build up fromt eh hour by 20 in segments!

DrP

IHN

I can’t ride z2 easily around here. There are open roads but they are all fast main roads; the nice riding roads are all far too steep up and down to maintain z2.

Same here, the roads are either UP or DOWN, there is very little that is nicely cruisealongable (and the stuff that is is a half hour ride away, so that’s adding an hour to any ride from the off)

crosshair
    Free Member

@molgrips What I’ve started looking for for Z2 is the most amount of steady, uninterrupted climbing I can find.
    My favourite loop at the minute is a climb almost out the door, then about 11 miles of gently rolling flat/downhill, a quick stint on a main road but then I have 40 minutes of uninterrupted gradual ascent. That brings me to the hill by Weeksy’s village and a steep, quick descent which is a good mid ride breather.
    Then it’s slightly bigger roads until the hills start, a loop round that village, back the way I came and a gradually-uphill cycle path to home.
    On the road bike at pace it would be 😴 but on the gravel bike at Z2 it’s perfect. Usually average around 15mph.

Then the other night, I found a 40 minute loop using some of the same roads where you gradually climb for 30 mins, descend quickly but not too quickly to pedal for about 15 mins, and then repeated it twice.

Strava route planner will help you find flat routes if you’re a sub too.

(Speaking generally- I’m sure you know your area 😀)

weeksy
    BadlyWiredDog

But if you want to get stronger at pedalling a bike, you need to pedal a bike, a lot, mostly in Z2.

Or you could do the sweetspot thing? My take, fwiw, after spending over 18 months off the bike thanks to covid, is that I’d always rather ride outdoors. Being inside felt like slow suffocation and being sat on a turbo not that much better and I say that as someone who’s done a fair bit of zwifting and indoor training in the past.

Long covid made me think about what it was I wanted/got from riding bikes and essentially it’s being outside and going quite fast by my standards. It isn’t being sat on the turbo for multiple hours watching digital paint drying in front of me. I like being fit, I like riding bikes, but I’m not buying the idea that the only way I can achieve that is by doing endless zone 2 rides on a stationary bike.

Sure, it might be the most effective way to reach 100% of your potential if you’re a pro racer, but I’ll settle for 80% plus and actually spending time riding rather than sitting inside. I’m happy to batter myself for an hour with intensive intervals. I’m happy to do hour-long sweetspot if it’s really foul out, but trying to argue that riding on Zwift is somehow the same as riding a bike beyond the mechanics just feels blinkered to me.

I’m sure I could do it, but honestly, I’d rather be out in the fresh air actually riding. YMMV etc.

crosshair
    Free Member

Well, I think the real big takeaway from the latest Inigo San Milan and Peter Attia craze is that Z2 is really, really important for metabolic health. (Generally- not just relative to bike performance).

Looked at through that lens- riding the turbo in Z2 is way more fun than a brisk walk/slow jog and has the benefit of making your fun rides easier (because you have bike specific fitness).

The second big takeaway that too far into tempo (ie heading towards Sweetspot) and you stop the endurance benefits for the next 10-30 mins. Ie sweetspot actually ruins an endurance ride but tricks you into feeling stronger because you improve your muscular endurance AT sweet spot pace.

Sweetspot/threshold for vanity- Z2 for sanity 😉 🤣

BadlyWiredDog

Looked at through that lens- riding the turbo in Z2 is way more fun than a brisk walk/slow jog and has the benefit of making your fun rides easier (because you have bike specific fitness).

Given the choice between a long, brisk walk in the Peak District where I live and hours sat in zone 2 on the turbo, I know where I’m going thanks and it’s not Watopia 🙂

weeksy

Can you clarify the difference between the terminolgy and how we’d work it out ?

Sweetspot, Z2, Tempo etc…

How much does crossing from one into the other affect it ?

e.g Dr P was saying he spent a bit too long in Z1 instead of Z2, is that better or worse than spending too much in Z3 and not enough in Z2 for example.

Where does fatigue and recovery come into this ?

crosshair
    Free Member

Then that’s great- if you’re pushing on your Z2 with other exercise then you won’t need the volume on the bike.

As Steve Magness says- “Move. Often easy. Occasionally with ferocious intensity.

Get out and move. Most should be easy to moderate so you can keep coming back day after day. Some should be moderate/hard. And very occasionally you should “go see god” to remind yourself what going to the well is like!”

For those of us who want to be faster cyclists not just be healthier in general- the more specific the easy work, the better.

john_l
    Free Member

A couple of years ago I was asked to take part in a study on the effects of endurance activity on mental capacity. Part of the study involved a 5hr turbo ride at a prescribed Z2 power level.

No Zwift, no Tv, no music or phone, just 5hrs of staring at the power output. Think it’s the hardest thing I’ve ever done on a bike and so a couple of hours on Zwift whilst it’s pissing with rain outside is a walk in the park!

trickydisco
    Free Member

No Zwift, no Tv, no music or phone, just 5hrs of staring at the power output.

Used to race in the western league where WIll bergfelt used to race in. Used to hear that he’d often do 4hr stints facing a wall in the garage! He was a beast.

crosshair
    Free Member

Now we’re getting proper Weeksy 🤓

It’s all confounded by the fact there’s several different zones 🤣🤣

But to try and keep it as simple as possible- there is considered to be two thresholds.

FTP at the higher end and your “aerobic threshold” at the lower end.

Your aerobic threshold is where you can “exercise whilst talking on the phone but the person on a phone call could tell you were exercising”

Everything below that is EASY. Everything above that is HARD.

80% of your training volume should be spent in the easy zone. 20% in the hard zone.

If you are on an easy ride and you cross that aerobic threshold, you have made it a hard ride. You’ve promoted an autoimmune response and caused oxidative stress.

The more hard work you want to do, the more easy work you need to do to support it.

Do too much hard work, and fatugue sets in and it *becomes* easy work anyway. You can’t cheat gainz.

weeksy

If you are on an easy ride and you cross that aerobic threshold, you have made it a hard ride. You’ve promoted an autoimmune response and caused oxidative stress.

For how long ? seconds, minutes ?

Lets just say hypothetically i’m doing a Z2 and my Z2 according google quick search, heart rate would have a minimum threshold of 126 and maximum threshold of 144

So lets just say i’m cruising along at 125… but due to pushing on for a moment i hit 155 for 20s, before coming back down… is that affecting things ? Or can we sneak into the other zones short term without worrying?

I’m a bit concerned with some of the Z2 calculations too as they differ wildly.

The first one said 126-144 for me if my Max was 180…

A Guide to the Biggest Thing Missing From Your Fitness Routine: Zone 2 Training

I then went to Polar who said if my max was 184 then it’d be
    Zone 1 92 – 110 bpm
    Zone 2 110 – 129 bpm
    Zone 3 129 – 147 bpm
    Zone 4 147 – 166 bpm
    Zone 5 166 – 184 bpm

Haze

Or use the 3 HR zones and stay in Z1

Sweet Spot, Threshold and Polarized Training … By the Numbers

You can also approximate your LT1 by subtracting your resting HR from your max HR for your HR range. Take 60 to 65% of that figure and add it back on to your resting HR.

crosshair
    Free Member

The huge variety in zones is why I kept it simple 🤣 As Haze said, there’s a 3 zone model where Z1 is what we all mostly call Z2 🤣🤣

ISM is saying you ruin the next 20-30 mins of riding each time you venture too high.

Given that HR lags- you’ll have had to do quite an effort to add 10bpm…

Haze

Note if you ride to a consistent HR your power should drift downwards over time.

If you maintain the same power keep an eye on your HR so it doesn’t stray too far!

If you have a reasonable base this might not be such an issue.

BadlyWiredDog

For those of us who want to be faster cyclists not just be healthier in general- the more specific the easy work, the better.

There are plenty of extremely fast cyclists out there who don’t spend hours sat on a turbo in zone 2.

Haze

They could potentially be even faster/stronger?!

jameso

I then went to Polar who said if my max was 184 then it’d be
    Zone 1 92 – 110 bpm
    Zone 2 110 – 129 bpm
    Zone 3 129 – 147 bpm
    Zone 4 147 – 166 bpm
    Zone 5 166 – 184 bpm

Those are the trad zones I’ve always used. Z2 work is at the upper level of Z2 (eg 125-129 here) while trying hard not to go more than 4-5bpm higher than the Z2 upper limit for more than a moment. Seems ok to let it go 5bpm over occasionally as long as it immediately drops, it’s good to get a feel for how your HR and output lag.

Useful thing to do is know your lactate threshold heart rate via 20/30 min tests or just familiarity of the level you can hold at leg burn stage. Then you can set up zones that reference % of that level as a check against the trad % of max zones.

Common But Confusing Training Terms

Aerobic Threshold (AeT)
    This is a relatively low level of intensity marked by light breathing and the feeling that you could maintain the effort for a few hours. It occurs at about 60% of your aerobic capacity or at about 70% of max heart rate or around 80% of lactate threshold. A ballpark way of determining your aerobic threshold is to subtract 30 beats per minute from your lactate threshold (see below) heart rate. In a sport science lab, aerobic threshold is usually defined as the intensity at which lactate just begins to accumulate above the resting level.

eg my trad Z2 goes up to about 133-135bpm based on a Max HR assumption of 188 which may be a bit low. I know my LTHR is around 170pbm though, so 80% of that means 136bpm at Aet – this is the point where I do feel my breathing changes, I can ride at 133-134 w/o any change to breathing but at 140 I need more oxygen and have passed that base level. Seems to all line up.

weeksy

There are plenty of extremely fast cyclists out there who don’t spend hours sat on a turbo in zone 2.

Out of curiosity, what do they do ? Or put another way, what would you do if it’s not Z2 as per Crosshairs thoughts ?

crosshair
    Free Member

Genetics do play a role and some people prefer to do other aerobic activity or ride outside year round.

I’m outside at work all day so the trainer isn’t a chore for me. Just a great tool to avoid getting sick/injured on dark, cold winter training sessions.

80/20 philosophy comes from a description of how pro’s train….

jameso

I guess once you’ve got to a high level you might need less Z2? Just maintain what you have.

For most of us it does seem to be true that “to go fast first you have to slow down”, or you focus on the time-crunched/sweetspot methods if you can’t do the base-build thing.

jameso

I know my LTHR is around 170pbm though

.. reading the Joe Friel link, actual FTP / 60MP (which I was using as an interchangeable term with LTHR) is 5% less than what you can do in the LTHR 20 mins test. Makes sense, no way could I hold 170 for 60 mins.
    So an FTP HR of 162 would drop my aerobic threshold to 130, which is still fairly well aligned to the trad Z2 upper limit (max HR accuracy aside)
    A quick XL table is handy to look at how these levels and %s line up.

slowoldman

Using the British Cycling Calculator my Zone 2 HR and Power ranges match pretty well.

nickc

It depends what you want to do though, doesn’t it? I am fit enough to do either 3-4 hours (30-40km and 850-1100M climbing) on a hilly ride and I can translate that to 50-80km on a flatter ride on the XC bike. I don’t need particularly to go faster than I do now, or longer than I do now.  I’m not really interested in Watts or HR

I think Z2 indoors on a rollers or turbo needs a goal at the end of it, otherwise, get out on your bike and enjoy the scenery/changing seasons.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 556 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.