Zipp 101 wheels opinions

Home Forum Bike Forum Zipp 101 wheels opinions

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Zipp 101 wheels opinions
  • MrSmith

Hed Ardennes?

Jamz

Fulcrum Racing Zeros are what well worth a look, Wiggle have a good price on them at the moment which brings them within your budget. Also, Shimano Dura Ace C24s are meant to be excellent (not ridden any myself) and would save you 100 quid or so. I was in a similar position to you and went with the zeros after reading a vast quantity of reviews. No experience of the Zipps unfortunately so cant help you there.

rider247

Looking at purchasing some new road wheels and the zipp 101 wheels have caught my eye. What is the peoples opinions on these, they seem to get good reviews.

Budget is around 750, so they come in right on budget. Anything else I should of looking at or avoid the zipp’s?

jonxmack

I ride 404’s and I love them, but if I was looking at an alloy wheel I’d probably go for C24’s. My dad has a set and they’re absolutely awesome wheels. Light as a feather and look awesome to boot.

MrSmith

They are not wide like velocity A23’s, HED’s, Archetypes and Zipps though.
    That’s part of the appeal of those wheels is the better tyre profile, rolling resistance and comfort.

housecat

Another vote for Fulcrum Racing Zeros here. Very pleased with mine.

titusrider

Very heavy for their depth in my opinion, get something wide rimed but down under 1500g

rider247

Thanks for comments and suggestions. I wouldn’t say the zipp’s are heavy for the depth if you compare them to American classic 420 they come in at c1550g roughly the same as the zipp’s. But whether you believe the torodial rim design gives it better aero is another thing.

What advantages would the fulcrums have over the zipp’s? I can see around 100g lighter but not as aero as the zipp’s and I’m fine climbing hills and struggle in flat riding when in a faster group tide so thinking the zipps could help me here. They also cost the sane.

TiRed

Not been impressed with the build quality or robustness of Zipp wheels. Shops I’ve talked to don’t like them on the grounds of being “needy and high maintenance”. Shimano C24’s, however are fantastic wheels, and if I didn’t already own a pair of Kysirium’s, I’d buy a pair.

rider247

Starting to swap towards the C24’s now, seem like the wheelset for me. Thanks for the help guys.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Zipp 101 wheels opinions’ is closed to new replies.