Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • YT jeffsy XXL vs XL at 6’4″
  • jake123
    Free Member

Long time lurker, so hi all!

Currently riding a 2016 L whyte 901 (it’s too small for me, full post extension and I can’t get my legs straight enough)

Looking at something a bit more comfy and full suss led me onto jeffsys.

I’ve ridden a 2020 XXL 29 pro race around peaslake and loved it, it felt huge and the 29er thing multiplied that feeling but it was fine.

I got a go on a 2020 XL 29 pro but only around a car park briefly. It felt shorter (it is shorter reach) but not necessarily better and still the large 29″ wheels thing.

Now… YT have 2019 jeffsy 27 pro race models available but only in XXL, Am I too small for these at my 6ft4 size with a 35″ inner leg?
    All other models are sold out, Not sure if I’m just trying to wrongly justify one to myself.

Would an XL be a better all rounder?
    No jeffsy 27 demos exist to ride to help here!

I’m not sure if the 27.5 wheels would just make it that little bit less huge feeling.
    Or if it’s me coming off a whyte 901 that’s too small and that’s how it should be and how new bikes are.
    Previous to whyte I had an 04 stinky in medium (way too small, 26″ and had since I was a lot younger and smaller!)

Geo specs on the XXL are similair to something like an XL bird AM9 in nearly all areas (second on my list and need to demo).

I’m properly over analysing it, But it’s a lot to spend and get wrong.

The 2019 pro race 27 XXL does have about £1100 off which is what’s drawing me onto it!

Thanks for any input and advice in advance!

oikeith

OP, Id go demo the bird and re think afterwards which you preferred. Dont get drawn into buying a bike the wrong size due to a discount! I’ve fallen foul of this in the past and regretted it, then had to find more money to correct my issue whilst riding a bike I shouldnt have really purchased and didnt enjoy riding.

joebristol

Riding the Bird is a good shout if it’s similar geometry to the one on sale from YT. Both are 4 bar bikes – but obvs with the Bird you’ve got U.K. customer service (which happens to be very good in my experience). The AM9 is quite a long slack thing – I’d have though it would be more equivalent to a 29er Capra – but the Jeffsy has grown in suspension travel recently I believe.

Presumably the Jeffsy is a better spec for the money though – plus then the discount makes that even more noticeable.

IA

I’m also 6’4″, not been on a jeffsy but I’d be looking at the XXL.

It’s a mass produced bike. Not something custom. At our height, we’re in the top percentile. If the XXL isn’t for us, who are they making it for? When did you last see someone taller than you? Not often, i’ll wager, I know I don’t.

tall_martin

I’m 6”4 with a 36” inseam.

I’d be on an xxl anything if that size was offered.

Lots of xl frames bikes are not big enough for me, in my opinion. But it’s about taste. Some like smaller bikes because they are more manoverable, some like bigger bikes.

jake123
    Free Member

Thanks for all replies!

Jeffsy is 150mm, the 27.5 pro race is 160mm.

6ft4 is the crossover from XL to XXL on YT size charts.
    As mentioned it’s not often you see taller, probably the only reason XXL is left in stock!

All insights appreciated.

Regarding after sales YT Mill is now open in Guilford, UK contact point where warranty work can be processed and workshop on site. Swings the game a bit

Cheers all

jake123
    Free Member

Update – YT had a batch of bikes with ‘visual defects’ listed.

An XL 27 pro race has now been ordered for £1200 off list on a 2019.

If anyone else is looking they still have XLs in stock! 3666 delivered.

Will update once it arrives, free returns but pretty confident it’ll be good and I was just trying to talkmyself into an XXL!

ta11pau1

Get the XXL. If you still can.

This is my 2019 Jeffsy CF Pro Race 29 in size XXL, I’m 6ft 3in and it fits me perfectly.

At 6ft 3in I could have chosen the XL, but remember the XXL isn’t a size bigger than an XL in other bike makers size, they just have more sizes.

My Jeffsy is the most agile 29er I’ve ever ridden, I never have any handling issues even on tight. steep switchbacks. And it’s fast.

I can fit literally any size dropper post (waiting for RS to release a 200mm (or bigger!) reverb AXS before I buy one), you can see how much of the 150mm dropper I have out the frame to fit me.

Edit: What drop was the dropper on the whye? The seat tube on the XL Jeffsy and L 901 are very similar, 460mm and 457mm so you’ll need the same amount of seatpost showing as your old bike. That’s one factor that made me choose the XXL.

jake123
    Free Member

Regarding the 901 it doesn’t have a dropper, just running full extension on the stock seat tube! (How very old school).

I was set on this XL but you’ve made me redoubt it and consider cancelling and upsizing to the XXL!

You mention it’s not bigger but it is larger in dimensions than most XLs from other manufacturers.

Such a hard choice and I think either will probably work fine!

ta11pau1

Such a hard choice and I think either will probably work fine!

This is the thing, so I rode quite a few demo bikes before buying the Jeffsy (which is my 2nd FS bike) – I rode a Cube stereo 140mm 27.6 with reach of 478, my old 27.5 140mm 27.5 with a reach of 495, another 27.5 140mm bike with reach of 482 – all were rideable.

It just so happened that I was looking for a 29er, and the reach on the jeffsy is 510mm, 15mm more than my old bike, but the ETT is 5mm shorter, due to the steeper seat angle. Which meant sat down it felt almost identical, but stood up it was a fair bit more stable, faster, but also more agile.

One thing to consider, the 27.5 jeffsy isn’t as long as the 29 – it has more conservative geo – and if I have the right geo tables your old whye has an ETT of 655mm with a reach of 459mm, the 27.5 XL jeffsy is 636mm ETT with a reach of 482mm. So, it might actually feel smaller when sat down. Wheelbase is longer at 1178mm vs 1244mm. Personally at my height, I wouldn’t accept anything less than 500mm reach. Oh and a nice steep SA – sod sitting half way over the rear wheel!!

As for the size, I look it like the XXL jeffsy is the correct size for me, and most other bike brands size XL is a little too small. If I was buying a frame, something under 500mm would probably be enough to put me off.

My next bike (a hardtail) will probably have 485mm reach and 664mm ETT, but as hardtails ag the reach gets longer so it’s actually about 500mm sagged.

jake123
    Free Member

Thanks for your comprehensive reply.

I very much enjoyed the XXL 29 I demoed, I just got cold feet on the fear it would be too large around my local riding (mid Bedfordshire woburn/chicksands/very flat etc)
    But do tend to get away a lot now.

I’ve chucked both on order so as to not miss out (I.e they sell out!) and need to mull this over and get one cancelled tommorow.

You being slightly shorter and liking the XXL sways me somewhat.
    The 901 is a fun bike but is too short in reach/ETT for sure, so maybe that does push it towards XXL jeffsy.

Are you saying a 27 jeffsy will feel shorter than the equivalent size 29 due to geo? I think I’d overlooked this when comparing.
    I’d like to keep the playful 27ness but as you say the 29 is such a great bike (hence being sold out in all sizes!)

The jeffsy XXL 29 seat definitely felt quite far back/slack compared to the 901. But I didn’t ride back to back so could just be in my mind!

Thanks again for your time and replies!

ta11pau1

The 27.5 has slightly shorter geo than the 29, probably won’t feel much different – but it will be more agile so better in tighter, twistier trails. I didn’t demo the 27.5 as I was sold on the 29 after the demo and I wanted a 29 for the benefits they bring.

I do a good variety of trails on mine, from flattish trail centres, to steep jank (peaks, lakes, dartmoor, exmoor) and will be going to scotland (tweed valley) in a few weeks, and even with the coil it performs brilliantly at pretty much everything. I wanted a complete all rounder, something I could ride at a blue trail one week and then use it to descend scottish munros, or ride the alps the next.

As you’re going for the CF Pro race, I will say the carbon wheels make a big difference when it comes to handling, that is a big factor in how agile they are. The old jeffsy was even more playful but not as competent a bike.

Honestly, either bike will be great, and you’ll probably not think about it after the first ride! The choice comes down to how much you value agility over speed/stability and the ability to monster over rough stuff. Deffo get the 150mm dropper on the 2019 model swapped if you can, get a 200mm or bigger, you’ll have enough room for the biggest dropper out there.

27 XL – most playful, more agile, not as stable at speed or on steep stiff.
    27 XXL – a bit less playful, bit more stable.
    29 XXL – super stable, FAST! Still playful but not as much as the other 2.

Jordan

I’m 6’1″ and the XL Jeffsy 29er felt spot on for me when I went to a demo day so I would have thought XXL at your height. I demoed both the 29er and the 27.5 and they felt like very different bikes to me. Much prefered the 29er.

jake123
    Free Member

Interesting!

What did you prefer with the 29?
    Just the general speed and stability?

Jordan

Pretty much that. I found it easier going uphill, on the flat, over obstacles and fast and stable downhill. Definately did something to compensate for my lack of skills. The fit felt different also on the two versions, not sure if there is a difference in frame geo.

I now ride a different 29er and love it but ocasionally while out riding I will swap over to the OH’s 27.5 which definately feels fun and poppy(it’s also a size smaller) but would prefer the 29er for my regular rides. You do learn to ride them differently and once you do, you find them to be much more maneuverable.

jake123
    Free Member

Interesting stuff!

I’ve got an XXL 27 pro race order in now.
    Not debating it with myself any further!

In the nice silver/blue rather than just plain black.
    Hopefully the delivery wait isn’t too long!!

ta11pau1

Good choice. After a few rides the size won’t be an issue, it’ll feel normal.

Recommend getting the frame protected with invisiframe, mine has been worth it already.

jake123
    Free Member

Further to the above;

Demoed an AM9 around swinley, it was okay. Felt more ‘enduro’ and less trail AKA less fun.
    Probably great for enduro racing.

Jeffsy XXL arrived today, so 2 weeks from order to arrival at my door 🙂

Initial impressions seems okay, paint quality is a bit poor. Around the headtube you can see exposed carbon Where I assume it’s been machined flat or left unpainted for the headset to fit flush (They all appear to be like this from a quick Google!)
    Paint otherwise looks okay, bike is still in box for now!
    Need to get invisiframe sorted and a decent frame guard on once built:)

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘YT jeffsy XXL vs XL at 6’4″’ is closed to new replies.