Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • YT Jeffsy-160mm fork Yes or No?
  • fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    In the process of building a Jeffsy frame and considering fork options?
    I know the complete bikes come with 140mm but considering putting a 150 fork in it or maybe even 160?
    I’ve read some reviews that suggested a long travel AM type fork would suit it but not sure.
    I appreciate it will be slacker and there may be warranty issues just after rider feedback really.
    Anybody already tried and got comments?
    Cheers
    Steve

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Not a Jeffsy but I run a Hightower which is very similar and plan to fit a 160mm Fox 36 in place of the 140mm Pikes it came with. Lots of guys on MTBR have done and only have good things to say.

Depending on the fork, you may be able to easily space it down to 140/150 if you don’t like it so I’d say give it a whirl.

Yetiman
    Free Member

Have you seen the big Jeffsy thread on Pinkbike? A few folk on there have fitted 160mm forks.

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    Yetiman- cheers Had a quick look but couldn’t see it. Can you point me at a link
    Cheers
    Steve

Yetiman
    Free Member

Sorry fatgit this is the first chance I’ve had to check the forum since this morning. Here you go.

http://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=189473&pagenum=160#commentid6407659

fatgit
    Free Member

Cheers
    That’s gonna take some reading!
    Steve

Poopscoop

Hey, fatgit!
    I’m building a Jeffsy up from a frame too!
    I’ve been posting on that pink bike thread a lot lately!

Just fitted a Hope BB to the frame today…

Anyway, I got a Pike with the frame set to 150mm. Not fitted yet though. People have fitted 160 forks but some say it’s great, some say it damages climbing ability. I know someone put a 160 on but then ran the flip chip at the steeper angle to compensate…

I can’t say from experience as I’m still a way off completing the build. 🙂

blahblahblah
    Free Member

Having ridden a Jeffsy a bit with 140mm Pikes (ie stock), given the choice of any fork length, I would put 150mm forks on it.

It’s going to be a bit of a pig to turn in low speed corners with a 160mm fork for not much benefit. I’m not really sure why you want it with that much travel and that slack a head angle. The stack height is going to be getting pretty high and the reach reduced a bit.

That said, if you do end up putting the ubiquitous Pike on it, in any travel, a travel change is possible for the price of a £25 air spring shaft. You’re never really going to be that screwed.

therag
    Free Member

I’m using the standard 140mm 34s, the low bb was causing a lot of pedal strikes so did consider a longer fork, but instead I changed the shock in to the steeper position. Much better ride for the type of riding I do, mainly just trail centres and bike parks.

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    Thanks for the replies.
    I’d like to fit a Fox 36 but rare as hens teeth second hand and the cost new is nearly twice that of a Pike or Lyrik.
    These are the two favoured options and will probably run at 150.
    Also probably going to buy Boost to match the rear but run boostinator a front and rear in the short term until I decide on wheels for the future.
    Looking forward to getting it sorted
    Cheers
    Steve

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘YT Jeffsy-160mm fork Yes or No?’ is closed to new replies.